Can I leave my fellowship??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frownybot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just started my child fellowship, and in the first couple weeks I have found that there are a number of red flags that I wasn't aware of. Limited supervision, poor didactics, basically have to educate yourself, etc. I came from a good adult program, so I'm a little shell shocked.

Is it possible to switch to another program now?
Go back to my old program and just finish adult psych?
Do I have any options?
It was arranged outside the match

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, if there are real indicators that it's subpar training, especially poor supervision, then I don't think we should advocate that a person simply tolerate that.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're unfamiliar with licensing and credentialling ... it is best to stick it out. OP - you don't want anything to come up on your record and have to explain it.

As someone who's always fought the good fight, some things you don't want to have on your record.

As a person that went through this in child, just wait the year out. You get PGY-4 done, so you're board eligible which goes a LONG way in finding a job.

You're unfamiliar with licensing and credentialling ... it is best to stick it out. OP - you don't want anything to come up on your record .

I've done both now, and have to disagree with this. Switching child programs(assuming that werent any substance issues or discipline issues) is not going to be a big problem with licensing or credentialing. Well it won't be any problem at all.

Now I'm saying he should or shouldnt switch. No idea. I'm just saying he shouldn't base his decision on worrying about licensing/credentialing later. It would be a minor inconvenience.

I'm guessing a switch back to your general residency would be difficult without ruffling some feathers. And worst case scenario is you try to go back but can't, then you're at the child fellowship and everyone will know you don't want to be there. I agree with what was said above about "sticking it out", but would add that you could try to blaze a trail and raise the bar for the program, such as identifying the attendings that are interested in teaching and trying to get them more involved in your training.

It's only one year until board eligibility. And as time passes you might decide it is worth it to stay for the 2nd year because you like child psych and want to get boarded.

Contact your former PD. Explain the situation. It's possible you can go back, and it's probably more likely that the PD can give more specific advice than anyone here.

It's also possible that you'll discover that you haven't yet seen the potential of your child program--you've been there less than 2 weeks, and summers tend to be relatively light in regards to teaching. Presumably there was something that attracted you to it in the first place; work on it.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm a clean resident, no issues in the past. I'm just disappointed with the quality of the program...I even did research about the program and contacted people before agreeing to start here. Hopefully my old PD can be of help.