Can I match into EM with taking Step 2 CK late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue0rchid

meh!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS4 at an allopathic school. I want to match into EM. I'm not a strong applicant. I passed everything in MS1, MS2, MS3. Didn't honor or high pass anything, except for the EM AI. My step 1 score is average or slightly below average. Originally I planned to take step 2 CK at the end of September, which I now realized that it's late in the game. I had no choice because I had a baby at the end of July. On top of that, I have 2 other boys at 4 and 2 years old; and not to make it sound like an excuse, but they are pretty touch to deal with. And studying isn't going well so I may have to push it out even further. I don't want to take the test when I'm not ready for it.

I've just read somewhere that most programs require CK score to invite you for an interview. Is that true? I originally thought CK score is required before rank list, but now I am freaking out to learn that it's required for interview. If that's the case then I'm doomed. Please tell me it isn't true. And if it is, can someone tell me which program does not require CK before interview? Or if you know which program does, I can cross it off my list.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Programs definitely send out interviews to applicants that only have a Step 1 score. I do not know of any programs that require a Step 2 CK for interview invitations, but they could definitely exist. My advice to most people is that if their Step 1 score is sufficient to get interviews at the programs they applied to, do not worry about taking Step 2 CK early. If they feel they can improve on their Step 1 score though, and their Step 1 score is not strong, then I usually recommend taking it earlier.

Reactions: 1 user
You should get plenty of interviews with only a Step I score, but you would get more with a Step II in as well. Apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Matched at a great program with only a step 1 score...

JK you won't match anywhere. Should prob get a job a In-n-Out

That post made no sense Modafinil

It has been well established that In-n-Out is a top program

That post made no sense Modafinil

It has been well established that In-n-Out is a top program

He didn't say match at In-N-Out, he said get a job there. They need environmental services and unit clerks, too.

Programs definitely send out interviews to applicants that only have a Step 1 score. I do not know of any programs that require a Step 2 CK for interview invitations, but they could definitely exist. My advice to most people is that if their Step 1 score is sufficient to get interviews at the programs they applied to, do not worry about taking Step 2 CK early. If they feel they can improve on their Step 1 score though, and their Step 1 score is not strong, then I usually recommend taking it earlier.
Thank you for your relevant response!

I have heard (from some PD's at a state EM conference this year) that a small minority of EM programs claim to not offer interviews without a Step 2 CK score, but every PD in the state of Texas proceeded to declare that they do not decline to offer interviews based on absence of CK score (it was a Q&A panel for med students), so there's a decent sampling for ya. A few of these programs' FREIDA pages claim that they require Step 2 for interview, but those PDs denied this in person.

is this the case for only American medical student, or does it also apply to IMG/DO students who have not given their step 2 CK yet but done with step one and CS do they still get interview call... or do they have to have all the stuff in by the time they apply??

I ask bec I am an IMG trying to apply to EM who has not taken CK yet, but is done with step 1 and CS...

UCSF needs Step 2 CK to consider your application complete, I believe. That's the only school I've seen that for.

is this the case for only American medical student, or does it also apply to IMG/DO students who have not given their step 2 CK yet but done with step one and CS do they still get interview call... or do they have to have all the stuff in by the time they apply??

I ask bec I am an IMG trying to apply to EM who has not taken CK yet, but is done with step 1 and CS...

At a NY conference for medical students interested in EM, program directors mentioned that this does not apply to IMG and that you should have a completed application if you hope to get interviews. So I'd try to take CK if possible.

At a NY conference for medical students interested in EM, program directors mentioned that this does not apply to IMG and that you should have a completed application if you hope to get interviews. So I'd try to take CK if possible.

Why does it not apply to IMG's... bec AMG's also don't get certified until March of next year right?...

What if we have our Step 1 and CS score in by the time we apply... but our Step 2 CK score is still pending with rest of the application complete... will they clearly reject me or will they put me in the hold pile till they see my step 2 CK score and then consider giving IV?

Meaning should I apply late ( after getting CK in) or apply early still with no Step 2 Ck score and hope to get lucky?

Why does it not apply to IMG's... bec AMG's also don't get certified until March of next year right?...
Because there is no such thing as "certified" for US MD students. The assumption is that, as a US grad, you will pass all of the Steps, and that if you don't, it's clearly a quirk in the system.

US MS4 at a "top 20" school. I was offered 11 interviews and waitlisted for 5 more with my step 1 of 231, and NO Step 2 CS or CK. So clearly not needed for interviews.

That being said, is there any written proof that CK is required for ranking by programs? I've heard people broadly say it is, and the PD survey says 80% "consider" ck scores in ranking, but no written proof saying that CK is required by programs to be ranked. If I'm missing some obvious resource, please clue me in here.

Matched into a great program. Didn't have step 2ck when interviewing but got it done and got my score in right before ranking. As EM is getting more competitive, it only makes sense that applicants with good step 2 scores are more favorable, unless you absolutely kills it at the interview. My 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
US MS4 at a "top 20" school. I was offered 11 interviews and waitlisted for 5 more with my step 1 of 231, and NO Step 2 CS or CK. So clearly not needed for interviews.

That being said, is there any written proof that CK is required for ranking by programs? I've heard people broadly say it is, and the PD survey says 80% "consider" ck scores in ranking, but no written proof saying that CK is required by programs to be ranked. If I'm missing some obvious resource, please clue me in here.

I remember only like 3 programs blatantly saying what you're referencing on their website.

It's usually buried in the site, like UCSF here (bullet 6): http://emergency.ucsf.edu/content/frequently-asked-questions

That said, I think the advice to have it done before ranking is partly due to the fact that many programs assign numerical scores to applicants and then aggragate those into a total score for ranking order... if one doesn't have CK on file, obviously that's going to hurt that rank score.

Also there is just the common sense part that EM is pretty competitive these days and doing anything that hinders your app is less than ideal.

Nevertheless, I'm sure many people in history matched without CK by rank time... the question is "will that still work since the game changed?"

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users