can i match with a low step 1 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desmondhume1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i'm really interested in anesthesia, but i dropped the ball with my step 1 score - 200. i was wondering if it even were possible to match anywhere with a score like that? i'm not looking to go anywhere competitive, just to match somewhere. I'm working my butt off to do well 3rd year and i'm going to have to do well on Step 2, but will i be able to overcome by low step 1 score?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Work hard. Like somebody else said, be enjoyable (not annoying). You can match.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes. i know people in my university program who got in with USMLE 1 of 200. they rocked their rotations and did a bunch of anesthesia sub-i's at different hospitals.

the biggest problem is that you will most likely have far fewer interviews, since some programs do use USMLE as a cut off for picking who they interview. i suggest you find a way to rock out your fourth year, do sub-i's in programs where you want to at least interview, and study hard for step 2.

Should not be a problem matching with any passing USMLE score as long as your a US applicant and did not fail a year of med school. :) Anesthesia's competitiveness is dwindling along with its reimbursement, worsening lifestyle and poor job market outlook. :(

hey guys, i'm really interested in anesthesia, but i dropped the ball with my step 1 score - 200. i was wondering if it even were possible to match anywhere with a score like that? i'm not looking to go anywhere competitive, just to match somewhere. I'm working my butt off to do well 3rd year and i'm going to have to do well on Step 2, but will i be able to overcome by low step 1 score?
thanks

Anesthesia's competitiveness is dwindling along with its reimbursement, worsening lifestyle and poor job market outlook. :(

I thought this would be the trend, but increasing board scores for matched applicants (~220 in 2007 up to ~225 in 2009 according to charting outsomes) seems to show an increase in competitiveness. Of course, board scores are increasing among most specialties every year. There are also anectdotal stories that were being passed along the interview trail of students with step 1 scores in the 220's-230's that recieved very few interviews.

However, it's best to not let stories like these discourage you from applying with a lower score because anything can happen. :thumbup:

I thought this would be the trend, but increasing board scores for matched applicants (~220 in 2007 up to ~225 in 2009 according to charting outsomes) seems to show an increase in competitiveness. Of course, board scores are increasing among most specialties every year. There are also anectdotal stories that were being passed along the interview trail of students with step 1 scores in the 220's-230's that recieved very few interviews.

However, it's best to not let stories like these discourage you from applying with a lower score because anything can happen. :thumbup:

Yes, and just remember for every 10 rumors that med students propagate, there is probably 1 truth. Med students, on the whole, are a neurotic, overcaffeinated, gossipy bunch.

Do the best you can, and don't settle. G'luck!

I think u have a reasonable shot. I would excel 3rd year (high pass and honors) and study hard for step 2. With those in your hands I think you will do great.

... to strengthen an application.

While Step 1 scores are often used as the first screening step in applications (and many schools have cutoffs,) there are other ways to get yourself noticed. Often, if you get someone to actually look at the rest of your application, a lowish step 1 score can be overlooked and you can get at least an interview.

Ways to distinguish yourself:
publish in the field
do a rotation or research project where you want to go
find a faculty mentor at the institution you want to go to
have someone call on your behalf

Not a complete list, but target the place you want to be and develop the relationship. You may have to "contest" a few immediate rejections and ask them to reconsider.