Can I please get some advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobby85

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum and was wondering whether you guys could give me some advice. I came to the US 5 years ago and don't know anyone who can guide me. I'm currently finishing high school and next year I'll be going to Columbia University. I really want to become a doctor and I want to start studying early. I know it might be a little hard, but I'm really determined. You guys have all passed my level and have the experience. I'd very much appreciate it if you could give me some advice about anything? I'm primarily concerned about what I should study, any book recommendations (perhaps for beginners), etc. Also I wanted to ask whether picking a major in Undergraduate makes a difference for graduate school? I heard people who major in Biology have a harder time getting accepted into Med schools than people with other majors, but I don't know if that's true. Any guidance would be very helpful and I thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Take your time in undergrad. Don't worry about studying so soon. Enjoy yourself and the college experience. You seem very determined and you will do well. However don't worry - there is no secret to do well and get into medicine.

So if you do anything at all now start reading "cultured" readings so you can do well on the verbal section. The New Yorker, The Economist and other magazines need to be read by ESL students such as yourself (I am assuming you are ESL). Read them until you can understand them and enjoy them. Then make sure to enjoy your experience. Then come back here in 2 or 3 years.

Whoa, slow down! I think it's a little bit too early... I understand your wanting to get a head start and everything, but you also don't want to burn out! I'd recommend reading some books about the medical professon for FUN, not to get a head start on studying... Intern Blues by Robert Marion is a good book. Good luck at Columbia! :)

Good to hear. Don't let anyone put you down about starting early. You're starting early, but you're doing so because you are very concerned about reaching your goal. Nothing wrong with that.

During college, major in something you like. If you're dead set about medicine and know you'll go to med school for sure, then major in something you like rather than something you can find "jobs" with. If you have ANY interest in something like Philosophy/Art History/Literature, then major in them.

A lot of people would say you cant find a good job with that major--maybe so, but if you're committed to medicine, then this won't be a matter for you.

As a foreign country student, your goal is to become very proficient in English (unless you already are). Majoring in those things will let you do that. Of course I'm assuming sciences aren't your weak-point. In that case, sciences will come easily for you, so concentrate on your reading. Read editorials of any newspaper everyday you can. I wish I did that...

Maybe your idea of fun is to read... or watch TV... or run/exercise... or drink and go to parties. Whatever it is, do some of that. Don't feel obligated to do it--do it when you need to do it. Everyone's different. You don't have to enjoy poetry or being drunk...

If you do nothing else, take your pre-med requirements in the first two years (hopefully) and ace them and shadow doctors. Go to Columbia Presbyterian and look for Residents to shadow--just ask three, I am sure you'll find one who says ok.

Don't worry about what major you want to choose--for the first two years, just try to finish the premed science, math and humanities courses. Then the second year, you can try to specialize. Whatever your major--it doesn't really matter.

Ace whatever classes you take, and try to get rid of the pre-med requirements first. Shadow doctors first off to confirm your decision to yourself. Do research if you can (but first shadow someone).

Good luck, and do yourself a BIG favor and read a whole lot. And whatever your idea of fun--do it. It really helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Amit1, UCLAstudent, and Flack Pinku: Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate it.

to Amit1:

When you say cultured readings, what exactly do you mean? For example, would you say I should read the news or just random articles from different magazines and such. I've always been confused about this. My teachers told me to read as much as I could to prepare for the SAT, and I read the BBC news online every day for 2 years and memorized 3500 hot SAT words from Barons, but I never got above 600 on my SAT verbal. In the math area I have no problem, I scored 800 out of 800 on both SAT I math and SAT II math IIC. My verbal is what's keeping me down. Can you tell me whether there is something I must do as I read? Am I supposed to be looking for theme or idea or something? Or is it that the news doesn't really count as reading? Thanks again.

to UCLAstudent:

Thank you for your recommendation. I've already placed an order on the book from my local library, and I'll start reading it as soon as I get it. It seems like an interesting story from what I read in amazon review. Thanks again.

to Flack Pinku:

Thank you for your long reply. You also talk about reading. I would ask the same questions to you that I did of Amit1. Does BBC news online for example count as good reading? Or does it have to be something else? Also, how am I supposed to read? Am I supposed to be looking for something in the reading, or just read it normally. Also I wanted to say that I didn't understand what you meant by "shadow". Sorry if it's an expression I'm not familiar with but what do you mean by "shadow doctor" and such. Other than that I really enjoyed your response. Thank you once again.

Shadowing means that you ask doctors if you can follow them around while they are working and just observe what their job is like. It is a really good way to get exposure to the medical field. It's really fun! :D

Originally posted by UCLAstudent
Shadowing means that you ask doctors if you can follow them around while they are working and just observe what their job is like. It is a really good way to get exposure to the medical field. It's really fun! :D

Oh I see, that's a very good idea. I'll definately do that. Now any advice on the reading? What things I should be reading? and how I should read them? Thank you.

I should start off by saying I'm not an authority on English (for both general and MCAT purposes). Although I have no problems what-so-ever with it, I am getting 9s on the Verbal section of MCAT.

By reading everyday--whether it is the editorials of a good newspaper like NY Times or whatever, you'll not only develop vocabulary, speed and accuracy, but also you'll be able to understand logical ideas as presented in rhetoric. The more you read dense and cultured stuff like Amit said, the better it'll be for you (in general) and for MCAT.

Unfortunately, I was one of those who hates to read stuff... recently I've developed a liking toward reading. Basically, read stuff that's dense and written by good writers and see what their purpose and attitude. See how the details they give in their writings support their ideas, and find out what arguments are strongly supported and weakly supported... again, this all comes naturally with reading I think.

Just pick up something like The Economist magazine (a "cultured" source) and start reading it. Or the newspaper. Basically, read dense stuff that might not be fun for you and be able to flesh out what the author is talking about and his feelings on it and how he supoorts his ideas.

As for shadowing, you'll be at Columbia, go down to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital. Just go to one of the floors upstairs into the wards or a clinic and ask someone there (nurse or doctor) to let you shadow the doctor, since you are a pre-med. They'll let you do that.

Originally posted by Bobby85
I'd very much appreciate it if you could give me some advice about anything? I'm primarily concerned about what I should study, any book recommendations (perhaps for beginners), etc. Also I wanted to ask whether picking a major in Undergraduate makes a difference for graduate school? I heard people who major in Biology have a harder time getting accepted into Med schools than people with other majors, but I don't know if that's true. Any guidance would be very helpful and I thank you in advance.

Originally posted by Bobby85
I'd very much appreciate it if you could give me some advice about anything? I'm primarily concerned about what I should study, any book recommendations (perhaps for beginners), etc. Also I wanted to ask whether picking a major in Undergraduate makes a difference for graduate school? I heard people who major in Biology have a harder time getting accepted into Med schools than people with other majors, but I don't know if that's true. Any guidance would be very helpful and I thank you in advance.

Oops. Ignore the top message. Anyway...

Aw... I see you're one motivated guy looking into med school when you haven't even begun college. Yeah, I was like that too. I could definitely relate to you on the verbal thingy too, cuz I am too an immigrant. You should definitely get started on the verbal prep now. It takes a while to get good at it, man.

Like the SAT's, it's not about just reading, but reading critically. You need to understand the passages. So first start out by reading editorials or other magazine articles and write down the author's central idea and how he supports it for each article. As you do this for a few months, you'll get used to this type of thinking. Or it might take you more than a few months, but it'll come... very slowly. Next, you work on MCAT verbal passages. The key to scoring well comes from first understanding the passages and second not getting trapped by trick questions. And you'll be on your way to doing well.

People talking about being doctors right out of high school:)))
But I guess that what I can determination and courage.

Look at me I did not even thought about (seriously) becoming a doctor until I was 21 years old and senior in engineering. And I met a guy who is attending John Hopkins Medical school and he told me stuff about it and how much doctors make. I start reconsidering the whole thing not just the money aspect (I know you will say do not be doctor for money etc. etc. etc.). So I got a job in a hospital (in O.R. and ICU) to see what it feels like and I really loved it.

So I have two things to motivate me :) :) :) money and love.
Two questions comes

will I still do it for money even if I did not like being doctor ? HELL no!!
will I still do it if there is no money but I still liked being a doctor?
Hell no!!

-----------------------------------------------------
Among the things I lost,

I miss my mind the most

Oz. Osb.

Amit1, UCLAstudent, Flack Pinku, kwanny, and aydinhatemi, thank you all for your help. This stuff is like gold to me. I'll start working on what you guys said right away. Thanks again.