Can I really do this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jay_son

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance here as I did not do well in school in my younger years, and I've never believed in myself much as a student. My journey to "premed" started as I was pursuing a career as a Firefighter/Paramedic. I ended up doing pretty well academically in Paramedic school, completely fell in love with the medical side of the job, and decided I wanted to learn as much about medicine as possible.

I'm literally starting from scratch at 29 years old, with 0.00 college credit hours. I'm planning to start at a community college this coming Spring semester, working on getting as many of my math and science prereqs out of the way as I can. I am planning to take as close to a full-time course load as possible while working around 30 hours per week at my current job. I'm single, and have some money saved to pay my way for the first few years.

My goal is to complete my bachelors in Biological Sciences or Biochemistry, get accepted to MD school, and qualify for the Air Force HPSP program (I do actually want to serve my country, not in it just for the scholarship money).

I'm sharing my goal here because I want it to be more than a pipe dream, and I was hoping to hear from others who come from similar beginnings. This forum has been a great source of information and am very grateful for the info. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would not rush in with full time class + almost full time work, especially since you haven't been in school for a while. You definitely don't want to start off with low GPA in community college.
Since you are starting scratch, have an even mix in non-science classes to balance out the load, maybe start off with just 1 science + 1 non-science and see how you do.
I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance here as I did not do well in school in my younger years, and I've never believed in myself much as a student. My journey to "premed" started as I was pursuing a career as a Firefighter/Paramedic. I ended up doing pretty well academically in Paramedic school, completely fell in love with the medical side of the job, and decided I wanted to learn as much about medicine as possible.

I'm literally starting from scratch at 29 years old, with 0.00 college credit hours. I'm planning to start at a community college this coming Spring semester, working on getting as many of my math and science prereqs out of the way as I can. I am planning to take as close to a full-time course load as possible while working around 30 hours per week at my current job. I'm single, and have some money saved to pay my way for the first few years.

My goal is to complete my bachelors in Biological Sciences or Biochemistry, get accepted to MD school, and qualify for the Air Force HPSP program (I do actually want to serve my country, not in it just for the scholarship money).

I'm sharing my goal here because I want it to be more than a pipe dream, and I was hoping to hear from others who come from similar beginnings. This forum has been a great source of information and am very grateful for the info. Thank you!

I would not rush in with full time class + almost full time work, especially since you haven't been in school for a while. You definitely don't want to start off with low GPA in community college.
Since you are starting scratch, have an even mix in non-science classes to balance out the load, maybe start off with just 1 science + 1 non-science and see how you do.

This upcoming spring semester is really just getting the basics out of the way... Speech, ENC1101, Psych, and sadly Intermediate Algebra (got a GED at 17 and don't have SAT scores to test into higher level math). I figure it won't be too difficult to manage time, especially since I do have down time to study at work. I plan to take Gen Chem 1 and college algebra over the summer so that I can hit the ground running in the spring.

I spent hours looking through oldpremeds.com and it was mind-blowing

Unless you consider yourself strong in math, consider taking an algebra/precalc course prior to taking general chemistry and physics. My observation in those classes was that the students who struggled tended to struggle with the math.

Reactions: 1 users
It has been done before and you sound determined and capable. I too am rather non-trad and started in my mid-20s from a blue collar career shift. EMT/Firefighter. I did work full time (too much) and studied 12-15 credits/semester. I had to tone my workload down at times to handle the sciences and MCAT study.

Be careful with Gen Chem over the summer - that pace is horrendous if you are not math-savvy. If you are up to snuff on your math, consider it. I too had a GED and had to go a long route of learning everything I needed, and still found gen chem a struggle for the math.

Consider DO schools as well. If you don't know about them start researching. I say this b/c as a nontraditional you will likely get more attention from them (as did I).

It has been done before and you sound determined and capable. I too am rather non-trad and started in my mid-20s from a blue collar career shift. EMT/Firefighter. I did work full time (too much) and studied 12-15 credits/semester. I had to tone my workload down at times to handle the sciences and MCAT study.

Be careful with Gen Chem over the summer - that pace is horrendous if you are not math-savvy. If you are up to snuff on your math, consider it. I too had a GED and had to go a long route of learning everything I needed, and still found gen chem a struggle for the math.

Consider DO schools as well. If you don't know about them start researching. I say this b/c as a nontraditional you will likely get more attention from them (as did I).

I appreciate the reply and the encouragement. You're probably right, I should hold off until the fall to take gen chem. I'm taking a college algebra prep class this coming semester so that I can knock out college algebra in the summer. I had to use khan academy to reteach myself enough math to even test into the intermediate algebra class, as I've been out of traditional math courses for so long.

Were you going to school while working a traditional ABC shift schedule as a FF/EMT or were you working a 9-5?

I appreciate the reply and the encouragement. You're probably right, I should hold off until the fall to take gen chem. I'm taking a college algebra prep class this coming semester so that I can knock out college algebra in the summer. I had to use khan academy to reteach myself enough math to even test into the intermediate algebra class, as I've been out of traditional math courses for so long.

Were you going to school while working a traditional ABC shift schedule as a FF/EMT or were you working a 9-5?

I had a pretty solid 12-15 credit semester during my bachelor's and then post-bac. I was volunteer EMT/FF which gave me great experience, resume and training and worked as a medical tech and then self-employed for some time. It was chaotic at times to juggle everything, but school came 1st.

Yes, you can do it...if you're willing to work for it. How badly do you want it?

I second this. Though I'm sure you've already figured out what you're doing by now, my advice to anyone with a similar concern is first to avoid burnout at all costs--be paranoid about it a little --even if it means not taking things as fast as other students. I got in trouble in mech. engineering because I burned myself out early on in the first semester, taking a bunch of heavy science/engineering classes while working 20-30 hours a week. Looking back, I'm glad it worked out like it did, but I also wonder where I'd be if I had gotten that engineering degree (probably behind a desk, so I'm not complaining now).

*Avoid burnout by taking it easy
*Pay attention to what makes you feel happy
*Get enough rest
*Don't party too hard though

Buckle down, and do it.
If you want it bad enough you'll push for it.
Its going to take some time.
Keep reading on the forums you'll find plenty of scenarios where others have obtained their goals in similar situations.
Your greatest asset at this time IMHO is that you're starting from 0.0, along with having structured medical experience.

Appreciate the responses from everyone. I'm very excited to begin this next chapter in my life, and just need to keep reminding myself to take it one step at a time.
I second this. Though I'm sure you've already figured out what you're doing by now, my advice to anyone with a similar concern is first to avoid burnout at all costs--be paranoid about it a little --even if it means not taking things as fast as other students. I got in trouble in mech. engineering because I burned myself out early on in the first semester, taking a bunch of heavy science/engineering classes while working 20-30 hours a week. Looking back, I'm glad it worked out like it did, but I also wonder where I'd be if I had gotten that engineering degree (probably behind a desk, so I'm not complaining now).

*Avoid burnout by taking it easy
*Pay attention to what makes you feel happy
*Get enough rest
*Don't party too hard though

I'm taking 13 credits this semester, but they're all Gen Ed and one prep class (have to take intermediate algebra to even get into college level algebra... yes, I've been out of the game for a while lol). Probably won't attempt so much once I start taking the core science classes. Luckily, I'm well past my partying days, so the focus will be on school and making enough money to continue to live and pay my way through.

Buckle down, and do it.
If you want it bad enough you'll push for it.
Its going to take some time.
Keep reading on the forums you'll find plenty of scenarios where others have obtained their goals in similar situations.
Your greatest asset at this time IMHO is that you're starting from 0.0, along with having structured medical experience.
Medic school, while probably not nearly as demanding as med school, really helped me develop good study habits and time management. I'm glad I did it, as I probably wouldn't have the confidence in my ability to learn that I have today.

What you need to take into account is that his process is a slow one. It is one that will require a lot of hard work and effort and you will be tested to complete at times. It took me 13 years from the time I decided to apply to medical school to completion. This June I will completely done with training, school/residency/fellowship.

can it be done? Yes
Will it be hard? Damn skippy
Is it worth it? It was for me. I love what I do.