Can I resubmit an article for publication to the same journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mindfulnessiszen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who publish a lot I need your expertise.

I submitted an article for publication in March. It was not accepted for a few reasons, but the main one was that the editor believed that I had too small of an effect to be meaningful for their journal. I have addressed this by including a larger sample size by adding a group that I had initially excluded in the previous analysis. Now I have a much larger effect, and I think after addressing the areas she specified, the paper is much stronger as a whole.

The article I have written is perfect for this particular journal but should I resubmit or should I cut my losses? Has anyone resubmitted an article to the same journal? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

What were the other reasons? Are any of them more significant than simple sample size limitations?

In my opinion, just having the larger effect (through increasing sample size) may not be enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it was outright rejected, I wouldn't resubmit even with a larger sample size. They are usually quite clear about that. If you aren't familiar with publishing, are you certain you weren't given a R&R? Some letters can be quite harsh if you aren't familiar with them, but still allow you to resubmit.

When in doubt, you can always email the editor and ask, but I would make sure there is a genuine reason to do so first. If it was rejected outright - probably best to move on.

As an aside - a larger sample doesn't necessarily change the size of the effect, it changes the p value. Effect size should be (relatively) independent of sample size.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, usually the decision letter will give you some kind of "tone" or even outright say something that tells you if it's okay to resubmit.

What were the other reasons? Are any of them more significant than simple sample size limitations?

In my opinion, just having the larger effect (through increasing sample size) may not be enough.

I appreciate everyone's input. The other critique was that one of the two main hypotheses did not meet significance, although it was definitely approaching significance. I had a hunch this had to do with the two populations not being equal. Once I included a larger sample the two groups were closer in size and now I have significance.

Yeah, usually the decision letter will give you some kind of "tone" or even outright say something that tells you if it's okay to resubmit.

The tone wasn't bad. I felt that the editor gave me great feedback and her letter about it being a great article seemed genuine. Based on everyone's comments though, I think I will seek another journal. I don't want to waste my time or their time for that matter. Thanks again for the responses!