** Can I Reuse a 1 Year Old Reference Letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAnonymous

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all.

I was going to apply in summer but due to a relatively low MCAT score, decided not to. I'm wondering if I can use the same old letter (which I got around May 2014) when I apply next summer? The letter has been uploaded to Interfolio and has remained confidential.

I really really really prefer not to contact the professor again and use the same letter from last year. I can update all my other letters (use a new date) but not this one.

Would this be a big deal ?

Members don't see this ad.

No, you should be fine. I used my letters from last year for my reapplication this cycle and it has not been a problem for me. I even got an interview this cycle from a school that rejected me pre-interview last cycle.

No, you should be fine. I used my letters from last year for my reapplication this cycle and it has not been a problem for me. I even got an interview this cycle from a school that rejected me pre-interview last cycle.

Thank you !! Such a relief man, you have no idea how much ive been stressing out over this. So i wont need to talk to him, I will just use interfolio and send it to AMCAS this year, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Might want to check with the individual schools on how old of a letter they will accept, and also if your professor dated the letter.

It might be overkill, but could potentially save you some headaches.

You don't need to use interfolio, the letter writers can upload their letters to AMCAS directly.

If you've done new things, you could also ask your letter writer to update.
Letter policies vary from school to school; I called many schools about this issue and a few of them wanted the date on the letter to be within a year.
You could just ask the letter writer to change the date to a more recent date. It's probably the safest thing to do.

Reactions: 1 user
I used a rec or two that were a year-ish old. Some schools will care, some won't. Check with them on an individual basis.

Thank you !! Such a relief man, you have no idea how much ive been stressing out over this. So i wont need to talk to him, I will just use interfolio and send it to AMCAS this year, correct?

Sounds right. I haven't talked to my letter writers since they wrote my letters, so my letters still have the original dates they were written. For letters that are one year old, you shouldn't have much of a problem at most schools. However, Creighton comes to mind, for example, as a school that does not accept letters that are 2 years old or older. But as others suggested above, it doesn't hurt to make sure that your letter will be accepted. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your help!! I will send e-mails to all the schools I'm planning to apply and see what they say. Thanks again guys.

Would you mind posting the replies you get? I'm interested in this in case I become a reapplicant (I was complete relatively late)