Can I show TOO much passion for medicine in my interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got a wait list notification from AZCOM and (almost simultaneously) another ii, this time from Nova. I'd love to go to NOVA so really want to nail this interview, as well as figure out what may have went wrong at AZCOM.

I believe my interview went well, but I'm wondering if I was TOO passionate about medicine. I said a few things along the lines below...

-Medicine is the only thing I can see myself doing; the opportunity to provide care for those who are most vulnerable is what I am truly passionate about.
-Frankly, I don't care about money or status (I'm leaving a lucrative career as interviewers are aware) to pursue this dream. This is the only thing that gives my life purpose and meaning.
-Becoming a doctor is the most important thing in my life - I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure I am able to be the best I can be.

The above is all 100% truth...but did I "oversell" it and come across as phony?

Members don't see this ad.

I think having an Option B makes you sound more thoughtful and mature. I've always had one.

Just my two cents though.

depends honestly. if you came out of nowhere and were insanely high energy and nervously sweating and itching your neck, etc etc etc then yeah. but i don't think these things guarantee a bad impression. it just depends on how you presented them. they most likely know by "medicine is the only thing i can see myself doing" as "medicine is what i definitely want to do, but i probably haven't done any other serious career considerations", etc. they know that the absolutes you bring up are most likely not TRULY absolutes.

Members don't see this ad :)
You sound committed. I don't think you can be too passionate.

I would be careful saying something like, "This is the only thing that gives my life purpose and meaning." All of the other statements seem completely reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
Take my opinion with a grain of salt and i dont mean to come off as a jerk but honestly reading that to me sounded like all BS to me. But it probs depends more on how you deliver it.

Be realistic. Don't oversell or undersell yourself. Seems like you are trying to suck up with those answers and it could come off as ingenuine. However, maybe it was something else other than the interview responses that made them waitlist you.

Yes, being way too passionate makes you seem like you're either lying or that you're somewhat mentally off. You need to demonstrate a demeanor that's calm, powerful, and composed. Consider your interview at least somewhat of a practice, like if this guy was a doctor and acted this way, would that be someone you want to go to again?

Basically you need to be interested and composed regarding why you wish to attend. Don't be all like, "NOVA IS THE BEST, I'LL LIVE HERE FOREVER BECAUSE THIS IS THE BEST PLACE ON EARTH AND LIKE RAWWWWRRRRRR"

Reactions: 2 users
When were you complete at Nova?

I would be careful saying something like, "This is the only thing that gives my life purpose and meaning." All of the other statements seem completely reasonable.
I agree, when I read that quote I took a step back. I would not mention this specific sentence. Otherwise sounds good

Way overboard. You can express these sentiments without coming off like a loon.

I wouldn't say "I don't care about money or status". That sounds naive. Of course you do. Everyone does. I would say that "I've made a lot of sacrifices to pursue medicine, because I feel it's the field where I can be most useful and also derive the greatest satisfaction." But better than saying these things -- give examples of when, why, and how you realized this is what you wanted to do.

Please don't say that it's the only thing that gives you purpose, or even is the most important thing in your life. That sounds unbalanced.

But better than saying these things -- give examples of when, why, and how you realized this is what you wanted to do.

So I just got a wait list notification from AZCOM and (almost simultaneously) another ii, this time from Nova. I'd love to go to NOVA so really want to nail this interview, as well as figure out what may have went wrong at AZCOM.

I believe my interview went well, but I'm wondering if I was TOO passionate about medicine. I said a few things along the lines below...

-Medicine is the only thing I can see myself doing; the opportunity to provide care for those who are most vulnerable is what I am truly passionate about.
-Frankly, I don't care about money or status (I'm leaving a lucrative career as interviewers are aware) to pursue this dream. This is the only thing that gives my life purpose and meaning.
-Becoming a doctor is the most important thing in my life - I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure I am able to be the best I can be.

The above is all 100% truth...but did I "oversell" it and come across as phony?

Gl at nova

Last edited:
bro, you came off like overly attached girlfriend. they can smell BS a mile away, and frankly, all of your bullet points make you sound like you have no outside life/are lying through your teeth and telling them what [you think] they want to hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a pre-med, you probably didn't sound phony because plenty of pre-meds start medical school telling themselves (and actually convincing themselves) that there's nothing else they would rather do, and that money and prestige isn't important to them. You probably did come across as naive though, because hardly anyone comes out of med school feeling this way. If it weren't for the six figure pay-check, why else would you put yourself through such torture? Be honest with yourself.

Your answers are too dramatic and extreme. It will make the interviewers feel like all of your answers are staged and unrealistic and you are not yourself. Be careful with your word choice... We are human beings, and there is nothing absolute for us, so never give Extreme answers ! Another thing you should keep in mind is to pay attention to the mission of the school, adcom puts a lot of weight on it. You should be fine at Nova, Good luck !

I think having an Option B makes you sound more thoughtful and mature. I've always had one.

^ This. You might see the same type of question in residency interviews "What would you have done if you hadn't gone into medicine?" (Don't say "DUH! I did go into medicine"). They just want to see that you are a rational person with a Plan B.

^ This. You might see the same type of question in residency interviews "What would you have done if you hadn't gone into medicine?" (Don't say "DUH! I did go into medicine"). They just want to see that you are a rational person with a Plan B.
Usually they wanna see its a profession in healthcare as plan B though

What. No.

Actually this is a big answer you should remember. If you fail always say you want to do something healthcare related. Elsewise they'll think you're in for the status or something.
It's simply a safer answer.

Actually this is a big answer you should remember. If you fail always say you want to do something healthcare related. Elsewise they'll think you're in for the status or something.
Yep.

OR you can answer honestly haha

I agree the OP's answers are way too extreme. The adcom isn't stupid. Give them something that is more believable.

It's immature to not have a backup plan. To answer what happens if you don't get in, say "I'm dedicated to being a physician and will address any deficits in my application and apply again next year. I'm 100% committed to this path." You don't need to make up a 2nd career or fake plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Usually they wanna see its a profession in healthcare as plan B though

I wouldn't worry much about specifics on this one. It's a gimme question. All you need is something simple like "I would have found something equally challenging" or "I would have gone into something related".

Concur. I have some interview questions (and no, I'm not going to share) that can suss this out and I use it to weed out the immature and/or poor planners.

Passion is one thing, and it is important, but being overbearing is quite another.

Just my two cents though.

Hmm. In my interview 3 years ago I said I would go into Consulting instead. I mentioned the things it had in common with Medicine.

My interviewer mentioned that she would have done something outside the realm of medicine as well.

Result: Accepted

And you can be a reapplicant then

You're right. Honesty is definitely a recipe for disaster. Lie through your teeth and hope they buy your interest in another health profession.

/sarcasm

And you can be a reapplicant then

Pretty sure there are plenty of docs and administrators on medical school campuses who are there because they got sick of practicing medicine themselves.

I think the question is relative and depends on much more than saying you will do profession x in healthcare. I think having a second career option is good for older applicants as opposed to younger applicants who have time to strengthen their apps. Both in reality show their commitment to wanting to work in healthcare and I think the second one is stronger showing that you are willing to eliminate gaps in your app. My brother got asked this question to an MD school and answered he would do xyz and reapply. He was accepted.

I also think interviews serve a purpose to show that you can answer something and back it up appropriately, but with Osteopathic medicine being many (but not all) students fall-backs / only other option of becoming a physician interview answer styles may change...I'm not entirely sure.

All in all theres no right way to answer a question as long as you can back it up and give a calm, collective, cool, reasonable response that is true to yourself.

Last edited: