Can I still make it to med school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member000005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never posted on here but I love reading all the advice other students give and am in DIRE need of some myself. I'm one year out of college and have a decent application except for my multiple, horrendous mcat scores.

I have lots of volunteering (clinical and non-clinical), leadership, sports, worked all of college (manager for 2.5 years). Since graduating been working as a research tech in a lab at children's hospital boston and just got promoted. I'm an author on two papers. MA resident, went to college in CA. Majored in molecular bio.

GPA 3.67
BCPM GPA 3.71

2010: 22L (VR 6/PS 7/BS 9)
2011: 24O (VR 6/PS 9/BS 9)
2012: 23Q (VR 7/PS 8/BS 8)

Obviously I tried to pinpoint what went wrong each time and thought I'd remedied it, but I've TANKED every single one. This year I studied for a very long time and was confident going in, hitting high 20s/low 30s on AAMC practice tests..I just can't perform on the real thing which is all that matters.

No freaking clue what to do now, I just can't get this test no matter how I study. I'm going to apply to MD schools this cycle, naturally most if not all schools are reaches at this point. I'm also applying to DO schools this cycle (shadowed one for 30+ hours) and want to apply to Australian schools (have family there) next year.

Any advice/help/comments would be much appreciated. I've worked really hard and want this so bad but am extremely disappointed and angry at myself that I've ruined my app with these scores.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

well any schools that take the highest subscore would give you an mcat of 25, obviously still not ideal but better than your most recent. I'd say apply to a state MD if you have one and DO

Don't waste your time or money on an AMCAS application unless your state school has very low standards. Your MCAT falls in the bottom 25% for most DO schools in the US.

Apply to as many DO as you can afford and do it early!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to DO schools. MD is slightly out of the question with those mcat scores.

Thanks everyone.

Any advice where to apply (I'm doing research on all schools but anyone familiar with schools that might at least look at my app even with scores like these...)?