Can I still practice in the US if I get my Psychiatry Degree abroad? (current US Undergraduate)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

totojane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to be a psychiatrist but I do not want to go to medical school in the US. I would like to go to medical school in England, Ireland or Australia but will I be able to practice in US if I receive a degree in the UK? Can I complete medical school abroad, then do my residency and license exam in the US?
Also, what do I have to take in order to apply to medical school abroad? Like the MCAT or specific courses

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Technically I think the answer is yes. Practically, you would be disadvantaging yourself some. 44% of psychiatry matches were IMGs this year so it isn’t impossible, but you would be putting yourself in a much larger pool. There were 881 US applicants this year and 774 (88%) got in. There were 1564 IMG applicants and 556 got in or 35%.

Going to medical school in the UK is nice if you can get in because the cost is much less than the US, although the cost of living can be more depending upon where you are.

I want to be a psychiatrist but I do not want to go to medical school in the US. I would like to go to medical school in England, Ireland or Australia but will I be able to practice in US if I receive a degree in the UK? Can I complete medical school abroad, then do my residency and license exam in the US?
Also, what do I have to take in order to apply to medical school abroad? Like the MCAT or specific courses

Thank you!
Of course you can, but it probably shouldn't be your first choice, especially if you are a U.S. citizen. Different overseas med schools have different requirements, depending on whether these are for-profit schools that cater to training foreigners who will be practicing in the U.S., or training students from their own country.

Keep in mind that although medical schools in Australia and the UK are good schools, they will usually not directly prepare you for the USMLE. If you go overseas to medical school, you will need to score high on the USMLE, higher than most of the U.S. medical school graduates you will be competing against in order to successfully Match into a psychiatry program. You can get interviews at top programs, but you will have to work extra hard. It is getting harder for IMGs every year due to the increased numbers of U.S. medical seats and not nearly as much increase in residency program positions.

Although it sounds and may be fun to go to medical school in the UK, Ireland, or Australia, you will find overall it is tougher than going to med school in the U.S. You would be very far from home, a guest (a non-citizen with less rights) in another country. The cost of living will be much higher, travel expensive. You will be having to adjust to a new culture outside the medical school as well as inside medical school. U.S. medical students will always get preference over IMGs for clinical rotations in the U.S. hospitals, and you will have to be flexible and very hard working. There is a lot more logistical planning you have to do regarding setting up clinical rotations as an IMG. Yes, you do want to do clinical rotations in the USA. Most states in the U.S. have specific rules about licensing IMGs that aren't a concern for U.S. medical students.

I know, because I'm a U.S. Citizen IMG (which is easier than being a non-citizen IMG, but worse than being an FMG). I used to moderate another forum about this stuff. I considered the schools in the UK, Ireland, and Australia very, very carefully. I went to one of the better known Caribbean schools after 3 years of careful planning. I got a great education geared toward the USMLE and practice in the U.S., and I don't regret it one bit. I matched into my first choice, and interviewed at top programs including those in my home state. But things are always changing. If I were to start over today I'd go to a U.S. med school - any U.S. med school - due to the increased availability of seats in U.S. med schools over the last few years. I would move states and establish residency in a state that has a med school with a more favorable matriculation rate if necessary.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you!

Why do you want to go to school in those places?

I think the question is about getting psychiatry degree abroad, not medical degree. Am I correct?

To practice in the US, you need to finish your residency in an ACGME or AOA accredited program
There are some fellowship programs -even in psychiatry- accept people whose has specialty degree abroad, but you cannot practice after your fellowship.

So if people has speciality degree from somewhere other than US, they usually start their fellowship at an US-instution and then they apply to residency program after their fellowship (since they have US clinical experience during their fellowship training, it is easier for them to find a residency spot)

In some specialities, like radiology, you can practice radiology after your fellowship even if you have a degree abroad. But this is specific to radiology..

I think the question is about getting psychiatry degree abroad, not medical degree. Am I correct?
You are incorrect. This line in the OP makes it clear:

Can I complete medical school abroad, then do my residency and license exam in the US?

That said, the question you answered is also interesting.

As far as I know, if you complete medical school overseas you still have to complete a U.S. residency in psychiatry and then take the psychiatry board exam to practice in the U.S. (that includes schools in Europe, Caribbean, Canada etc).