Can interviews be held on weekends or no?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluecabinet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's be much better to have interviews on weekends since I'm working.... Is this a common occurrence during medical application process or is this a rare occurrence?

Members don't see this ad.

It's be much better to have interviews on weekends since I'm working.... Is this a common occurrence during medical application process or is this a rare occurrence?
That is rare. You won't be able to have a weekend interview at the vast majority of schools. A few schools do have weekend interviews as part of their schedule though.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is rare. You won't be able to have a weekend interview at the vast majority of schools. A few schools do have weekend interviews as part of their schedule though.

Creighton comes to mind as offering Saturday interviews. I think there's a few others.

Humm I see.....this is my first "real" job and I don't know how understanding the HR dept will think about my absences...

How did you guys manage the interview process with a full-time job?

Humm I see.....this is my first "real" job and I don't know how understanding the HR dept will think about my absences...

How did you guys manage the interview process with a full-time job?

Depending on your company's policies you may not be formally allowed to take any vacation time at all. Many companies don't allow you to take vacation time until you've worked there for a certain amount of time - often several months. Even if that isn't an issue, I highly doubt your supervisors are going to be too keen on you missing significant amounts of work. A few interviews over the course of the cycle probably isn't too bad, but if you're missing 10-20 work days over the course of the cycle - which isn't entirely unreasonable depending on the locations and number of schools you're applying to - I imagine your supervisors will understandably be irritated.

Try and cluster your interviews as close together as possible so that you "concentrate," so to speak, your time off. You might also want to make your supervisors aware of the fact that you'll be missing some time in the fall as soon as possible so that they aren't taken by surprise when you do request time off.

Some other things to be prepared for:

- Some interviews are on really inconvenient days like Tuesday or Thursday. Depending on flight schedules and distance, this can result in two to three days off.

-Some interviews are last minute

- Some schools will give you a list of dates to pick from, others will provide one date. You can request to re-schedule, which may or may not be accommodated. For rolling admission schools re-scheduling to a later date may put you at a disadvantage.

The only school I interviewed at that offered me a Saturday date was Creighton. All others were Monday-Friday. Honestly I wouldn't want to interview on a weekend anyway, you don't get a good idea of what the campus is like on a school day and you can't sit in on any classes.