Can LORs be added to file after it is "complete"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Davispenguin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have LORs from the requisite number of science and non-science professors for my file to be marked complete, so if I were to submit a secondary schools would probably mark my file complete. However, I am still waiting on a committee letter from my school. If I were to receive that letter after I submitted and then add and designate it on AMCAS would it be added to my file or would my application be closed after I am "complete"?

Members don't see this ad.

You should e-mail the school(s) that you want to receive the additional letter(s) so that they're aware another letter is available for download. If you don't tell them and your application is otherwise complete, they may not go fetch them automatically.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I finally got that committee letter, but I have been marked complete by most of the schools I applied to already and when I checked my status online it usually says something along the lines of file is complete and under review and under letters it shows all my individual letters but not that committee letter. It was previously suggested that I email the schools to notify them of the new letter. Would something like the following be acceptable?

Dear School X Office of Admissions,

Thank you for taking the time to review my application. I wanted to notify you that AMCAS recently received my school's premedical committee letter on my behalf. I just wanted to let you know that letter is available for you to access if you would find it helpful while reviewing my application. I submitted my application with just the individual letters initially because the committee letter at my school is not meant to replace the individual letters since it is not a packet, it is just an additional letter of evaluation. Please let me know if you have any questions or require any additional information.

Sincerely,
Davis Penguin

Reactions: 1 user
^ That's fine. If allowed, a phone call would be even better.

I am sort of the in the same boat as you were. I am still waiting for one of my authors to submit their letter to AMCAS. Is it sensible to only designate my available LORs to all my schools, so that my secondaries can be marked complete and ultimately queued for review? I would then assign my pending LOR once it has been received by AMCAS and notify the schools to download it, all hopefully before it reaches the actual review stage.

That is sort of what I did, so hopefully that works. So you think it would be better to call the schools rather than emailing them? If a school asked on their secondary whether or not I would be getting a committee letter and I said yes even though I didn't have one at the time designated on AMCAS and they then marked me complete do you think I should still tell them or would they probably already be on the look out for that since I already designated that I would be sending one. Also if I was already planning on uploading an update letter under additional documents would it make sense to mention the new letter on that or should I keep the two separate?

I think a phone call (if allowed) is more likely to expedite the retrieval of your final LOR. Whether you email or telephone, it would be in your best interest to request each of your designated schools to download the LOR. As for the contents of your update letter, just include any and all updates in a single file or message.

I might be mistaken, but it seems like you don't want to be a bother or pester anyone. I bet a school couldn't care less as long as you're not spamming their inbox/voicemail with fart noises.

thanks, yeah that's what I was thinking. My main concern is not to pester the school that was why I thought email might be better than the phone because they can check email at their leisure.