Can LORs "rescue" MCAT concerns?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In short, I received a 33 (14PS/8V/11BS) on my actual MCAT, but averaged 37ish (13-14/10/13-14) on my practice tests, as a rising junior. I was planning to apply MD/PhD, but don't know if I can stand a reasonable chance with my MCAT. Just wondering if strong LORs could mediate my low verbal and biological science scores.

Here's my recommendations:

(1) Asst. Professor - 1 year of research with 3rd authorship in Plos Genetics as sophomore. I left the lab to explore my other research interests and also because the lab environment was not great. I had many mentors suggest I leave. When I left, my PI asked me to give it some thought and about my reasons (only mentioned the former reason). She said that I "am a great asset to the lab,...and my performance in this past year was really strong." She knows that I want to apply MD/PhD, but warns about the perils of research because of her own hardships. Regardless, she will "strongly support whatever my future intentions are."

(2) Asst. Professor - so far 6 months of research. I have my own project in his lab. He will write a strong LOR: "he is very good at his work. I trust his numbers a lot." Sometimes he jokes around that I know everything; he asked if I knew about ____, and I responded no. He said, "wow finally something you don't know."

(3) Professor - 2x A+ in biochemistry and advanced molecular biology; finished #1 out of 160 for molecular bio, not sure for biochemistry, though I was definitely top 5 out of a class of 200 something. Talked to him about my aspirations to enter academia, either for clinical or basic science research. Wrote a mock grant proposal for. He said he would expect this from "a top graduate student in his classes." And from what he can tell, I am "really into research." I might TA for his advanced molecular biology course in the future.

(4) Professor - A+ in and TA'd for genetics lab course. She knows me very well and is enthusiastic to put a good word in for whatever I need.

I was going to ask them to emphasize their experience with my scientific literacy and skills.

Currently a junior at a top 40 UC with sGPA/cGPA both at 3.9x. I will probably take at least one graduate course before I graduate. Also waiting for this year's Goldwater scholarships to come out.

Maybe I should only apply to MD programs and work on clinical volunteering/shadowing more in my spare time? I will at least 300 hours of clinical volunteering and some club leadership experience before I graduate.

Just concerned I'll be screen out of decent MD/PhD programs solely because of my MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the "what are my chances" thread that is stickied in the physician scientist forum. Here is a quote (these numbers are a few years old):

"To summarize:
Applicants who did not receive an offer: GPA 3.68 (SD .24)/MCAT 32.7 (3.7)
Applicants who received one offer: GPA 3.74 (SD .21)/MCAT 34 (3.7)
Applicants who received more than one offer: GPA 3.82 (SD .15)/MCAT 35.7 (2.5)"

Based on those figures, I highly doubt a 33 will get you "screened out," even if it is not ideal. A 33 nearly falls within one standard deviation of students that received more than one offer. Your MCAT alone will not put your application in the trash bin. Then it becomes a question of whether or not your GPA + research experience makes you a good enough applicant to admit you with a slightly below average MCAT.

I also don't know what you mean by "decent MD/PhD programs." Here are a few stats I pulled from random program websites:

From John Hopkins University:
"Average MCAT: 36.7
MCAT Range: 30–43"

From Albert Einstein:
"For the 2013 entering class the average GPA was 3.7 and the combined MCAT score was 34."

From Nebraska:
"The qualifications of Scholars currently in the program are comprised of a mean MCAT score of 32 and GPA of 3.71."

No LOR in the world can rescue substandard stats. Your 33 is fine, even with the VR8, for multiple medical schools. I think you can write off the MD/PHD route, as it's super competitive. You don't need the PhD to do research as an MD, BTW. Just do a research fellowship.

In short, I received a 33 (14PS/8V/11BS) on my actual MCAT, but averaged 37ish (13-14/10/13-14) on my practice tests, as a rising junior. I was planning to apply MD/PhD, but don't know if I can stand a reasonable chance with my MCAT. Just wondering if strong LORs could mediate my low verbal and biological science scores.

Here's my recommendations:

(1) Asst. Professor - 1 year of research with 3rd authorship in Plos Genetics as sophomore. I left the lab to explore my other research interests and also because the lab environment was not great. I had many mentors suggest I leave. When I left, my PI asked me to give it some thought and about my reasons (only mentioned the former reason). She said that I "am a great asset to the lab,...and my performance in this past year was really strong." She knows that I want to apply MD/PhD, but warns about the perils of research because of her own hardships. Regardless, she will "strongly support whatever my future intentions are."

(2) Asst. Professor - so far 6 months of research. I have my own project in his lab. He will write a strong LOR: "he is very good at his work. I trust his numbers a lot." Sometimes he jokes around that I know everything; he asked if I knew about ____, and I responded no. He said, "wow finally something you don't know."

(3) Professor - 2x A+ in biochemistry and advanced molecular biology; finished #1 out of 160 for molecular bio, not sure for biochemistry, though I was definitely top 5 out of a class of 200 something. Talked to him about my aspirations to enter academia, either for clinical or basic science research. Wrote a mock grant proposal for. He said he would expect this from "a top graduate student in his classes." And from what he can tell, I am "really into research." I might TA for his advanced molecular biology course in the future.

(4) Professor - A+ in and TA'd for genetics lab course. She knows me very well and is enthusiastic to put a good word in for whatever I need.

I was going to ask them to emphasize their experience with my scientific literacy and skills.

Currently a junior at a top 40 UC with sGPA/cGPA both at 3.9x. I will probably take at least one graduate course before I graduate. Also waiting for this year's Goldwater scholarships to come out.

Maybe I should only apply to MD programs and work on clinical volunteering/shadowing more in my spare time? I will at least 300 hours of clinical volunteering and some club leadership experience before I graduate.

Just concerned I'll be screen out of decent MD/PhD programs solely because of my MCAT.