Can MD apply for oral surgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melonaid

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this question has been asked in the past, but I am looking for an updated answer. Can an md apply for oral surgery programs? And If so which specific programs have accepted them or are open t accepting them?

Members don't see this ad.

An MD can apply but that applicant will have had to obtain a DDS degree either before applying or the OMS program will have to train the applicant how to be a dentist with the appropriate pre-clinic and clinical training including doing the lab work for crowns, bridges, dentures etc.

The rule is: one must have a DDS in order to get a certificate in OMS.

These programs are rare. I know Harvard has done this and I know Michigan has a program as well. There might be more. I am not sure.

If you're in MD school or an MD why not just go for ENT?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard through the grapevine that Harvard and Michigan will take an MD and put them through a modified OMS program to include the necessary dental curriculum to attain a DDS. Dont' know the details or even if that's accurate...it's just what I heard...from a little bird...sittin on a turd.

From what I understand, UAB and Harvard have official tracks set up for MD applicants, though both are slightly longer than the traditional DDS/DMD course.

Michigan has an official track also. Although the specifics seem to change depending on whether or not the applicant already completed a gen surg year or not. Last person who went through the program, who graduated this year, did general surgery first then D-school, then OMFS.

If you're in MD school or an MD why not just go for ENT?

Although there is quiet an overlap, it's still a very different specialty, offering their own niche.

Although there is quiet an overlap, it's still a very different specialty, offering their own niche.

There's a bit of a Catch-22 in doing this though. IMO, some PD's are interested in taking MD applicants because they perceive they might have more of an interest in pursuing academic careers. However, were that the case, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason for an MD applicant to seek out OMS specifically if this is the case, considering the overlap in academic scope between ENT/PRS/OMS. So the applicants you're going to get form the MD side are most likely:

1. Not interested in the academic scope of OMS and are primarily interested in the private practice lifestyle aspect.
2. Not competitive enough for PRS/ENT, sees OMS as a potential backdoor.

I really don't see a reason for a large push to accept primary MD applicants, except in a few special cases.

Hi all-
I’m a 2nd year med student, but I recently gained a little bit of exposure to OMFS thanks to my very own mandibular fracture. I’ve always been interested in doing a sort of smaller/cleaner surgical subspecialty (ie. optho vs cardiothoracic surg), but I am now really intrigued by wide variety of procedures oral surgeons can do. I’m looking for some advice on how/whether I should pursue this interest. Basically, how much overlap is there really between ENT and OMFS? Do you think oral surgeons would be receptive to the idea of me shadowing them to see if it’s something I really like?