Can Med Schools See if you "Give Up" AP Credit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DendWrite

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a 5 in Calc BC in high school but when I got to college, I quickly realized that Calc III was far too rigorous for me (i.e. everything was proofs-based, no calculators allowed, etc). I'm wanting to drop back to Calc I. I talked to my advisor and she said that it would show up on my transcript as "AP Calculus BC 0.0 credits." I was wondering if medical schools would be able to tell that I gave up my AP credit on my AMCAS or not, and -- if so, would this look bad?

Members don't see this ad.

It's my understand that once you take the AP test and send the results to your school, you have the credit and it's on your transcript. What you choose to do then is up to you. I had AP credit for intro biology, but took that course anyway because it was an easy A. On my transcript, it shows both courses and credit for both. I suppose your school could be different, though.

In my experience, when you repeat a class for which you got AP credit from your school, both are still listed. The AP class says Pass and X hours of credit. The identical class name and course number gives the grade and the same X hours of credit.

Med schools don't care if you retake courses where you got AP credit. Some med schools don't accept AP credit, so you're even better of for their consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
They will likely be able to tell from your transcript, but they won't care at all. I retook intro chem, bio, and physics when I had AP credit for them, and have had no trouble at all. In fact, med schools almost seem to prefer you retake prereqs even if you have AP credit, because otherwise you have to take upper level courses in that subject.

They will likely be able to tell from your transcript, but they won't care at all. I retook intro chem, bio, and physics when I had AP credit for them, and have had no trouble at all. In fact, med schools almost seem to prefer you retake prereqs even if you have AP credit, because otherwise you have to take upper level courses in that subject.
Grats on the acceptances Eric! I'm drooling over your MCAT...

Last edited: