MD Can my low MCAT outweigh my strong background story?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hard to tell with how vague you are with all of your activities, but places like UCSF do interview people with mcat's around your range, so it's not impossible for you to get an interview if the rest of your application is really that strong...

Reactions: 1 user
If you really want to get to the top research programs, you'll have to take that MCAT again and aim for 36+. Otherwise you can still get accepted somewhere, but schools like Stanford and UCSF are very low chance. The rest of your app sounds great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hard to tell with how vague you are with all of your activities, but places like UCSF do interview people with mcat's around your range, so it's not impossible for you to get an interview if the rest of your application is really that strong...

Sorry I am vague but I am just lazy and do not want to write the details. I can assure you however that I am not being delusional, the rest of my app is very strong.

If you're going to be "lazy" with providing details regarding your EC's, I wouldn't expect incredibly helpful feedback. You have solid numbers, but most people will consider their EC's, LOR's, clinical experience, etc. to be "very strong/pretty strong/strong" and they are integral parts of your application.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say the MCAT is too low for Stanford and UCSF, but no harm in including a few reaches on your list.

Your MCAT is fine and a compelling story sometimes helps. MSAR Online is your friend. Apply strategically.

Hello,

I recently did much worse on the MCAT than I was hoping for. I got a 32 and my practice test average = 36. I even got a 38 on FL 11! I do not want to take it again :(

I'm a California resident and I was wondering if you guys could tell me if I have a shot at top research MD programs (especially UCSF and Stanford).

School: Berkeley
Major: Physics (honors program)
cGPA: 3.76
sGPA: 3.83
MCAT: 32Q (PS 12 / 9 VR / 11 BS)

Other stuff:

I was homeless as a teenager and failed at school during high school. All the male role models in my life dropped out of highschool or college and went to jail. I went to community college and worked my way up. I am a nontraditional.

-My research is very strong. This includes a 1st author paper, senior thesis, talk at a national conference, and a few other talks.
-Volunteerism is very strong.
-Letters of Rec are very strong.
-Clinical experience is pretty strong.
-I am pretty sure my personal statement and experiences essays are pretty darn good too.

So basically, I have everything going for me but that darned MCAT.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
1% chance at SF. 0% chance at stanford.

I have been told from a Stanford student that there are a few non-URM ppl at Stanford who got MCAT's < 33

I've also been told that those students have done some insanely good research, been published, done amazing global health work, and are experienced clinically.

Reactions: 2 users