Can no longer meet technical standards...It's over for me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted303591

In addition to having a disabling autoimmune autonomic neuropathy that I have likely had from a very young age, I was recently diagnosed with another neuropathy that causes progressive muscle weakness and sensory problems. I am pretty sure I cannot meet the technical requirements of medical school anymore. I am heartbroken but there is nothing I can do about that. At least I am being true to myself. :(

I am currently studying electrical engineering online through an accredited program, but I would like to work in a healthcare-related field if possible and serve others. Would rehabilitation engineering, occupational therapy, or becoming a doctor of physical therapy still be possible, at least theoretically?

Members don't see this ad.

Do they not have technical requirements too?

I know they do, but they seem less stringent. I really don't know what to do, except do some soul-searching and try to find another program in another field that is suitable given my limitations.

I do know that I cannot be a physician, and that is a fair assessment.

My health has the possibility of becoming better, as I may receive a hematopoietic stem cell transplant in the future, possibly putting my autoimmune neuropathies into long-term remission. But, I still know that I cannot be a good doctor, even if my health improves. So, becoming a medical doctor is over with for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cant speak to your particular disabilities, but US med schools have graduated blind, and deaf students (in addition to wheelchair bound, and a mryiad of other disabilities). I would encourage you to discussion your particular situation with the med schools you are interested in, or seek out a pre-med (type) advisor who has dealt with similar issues.

Unless you personally no longer wish to pursue medicine, or that you know the only specialities you are interested would be ruled out due to your particular strengths and limitations dont judge this for yourself. dont "reject" yourself from this if it is your dream....

Reactions: 10 users
Wow, that was deeply moving moco89 and it really puts into perspective all the neuroticism and belly-aching of the application process. I know I have personally needed to recenter myself as I've lately been internally comparing myself more and more with others and losing touch with what is really important on this long road. It saddens me that right now med school doesn't seem to be in the cards for you.

As for not giving up the hope of helping others, there's a million different ways to help and serve others. I'm sure you'll be able to find the right one for you, especially in this digital age, that works with your desires and abilities and who knows maybe in a few years you will be healthy enough to attend and will have an amazing personal story to tell. Please keep us updated.

Reactions: 1 user
Technical standards have been developed because the process of acquiring the skills necessary to be a physician are physically, emotionally, psychologically and socially demanding. There are many ways to be of service. I wish you the best in finding your path.

Reactions: 1 user