Can people who get accepted to a DO school transfer to a MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kemosabe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious. Is this possible for someone who goes to a DO school to transfer to a MD school? How hard would it be and how would it work?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious. Is this possible for someone who goes to a DO school to transfer to a MD school? How hard would it be and how would it work?

From what I recollect it's essentially a no but there are some schools that will let it happen due to emergency situations (death in family or what not) but it's few an far between.

So basically what @Awesome Sauceome said: nah.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From what I recollect it's essentially a no but there are some schools that will let it happen due to emergency situations (death in family or what not) but it's few an far between.

So basically what @Awesome Sauceome said: nah.

Ty.
Another question: If you're in a DO school, is it a requirement to take the COMLEX exams or could you do the USMLE exams in their place? Taking twice as many exams seems like it'd be really difficult.

Ty.
Another question: If you're in a DO school, is it a requirement to take the COMLEX exams or could you do the USMLE exams in their place? Taking twice as many exams seems like it'd be really difficult.
You HAVE to take COMLEX as a DO, whether you take USMLE too is up to you.

You HAVE to take COMLEX as a DO, whether you take USMLE too is up to you.

Oh ok, so how does residencies view applicants who only take the COMLEX? Will most residencies accept COMLEX scores in place of USMLE?

Oh ok, so how does residencies view applicants who only take the COMLEX? Will most residencies accept COMLEX scores in place of USMLE?
This is harder to answer right now because of the merger. Ask again in 5 years.

This is harder to answer right now because of the merger. Ask again in 5 years.
=/ That's what I was concerned about hearing as I'm going to be dealing with this sooner than 5 years.

=/ That's what I was concerned about hearing as I'm going to be dealing with this sooner than 5 years.
Honestly, me too. I'm starting this fall. I think the safest bet is do both.

Some ACGME residencies will accept the COMLEX. The more desirable and competitive residencies may not - it's really specialty and program dependent. Obviously, all AOA residencies require it. Plan to take the USMLE from day 1 as you have no idea what location, specialty, and program you may end up loving.

Do not plan on transferring, that is highly unlikely to ever happen.

Reactions: 2 users
supposedly it is very difficult, but it has happened.

supposedly it is very difficult, but it has happened.

AAMC has a link of all the schools that allow transfers, and you can filter by which schools allow transfers from DO schools. I know Drexel takes DO transfers

I remember a member mentioning he knew a person who transferred from a DO school to an MD school. However, it was due to family reasons. So it is possible depending on the circumstances, highly unlikely though.

In general it's nearly impossible to transfer from any US medical school to another, regardless of degree. With that said, it does happen and I know someone who did it. A family member was dying and he needed to move to a different part of the country to take care of siblings that would be left behind. His choices were either quit medical school or relocate to another med school, and those are about the only situations where transfer is appropriate.