can quiet people succeed in PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shybread

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone! i'm a prospective applicant to DPT programs in the coming year. i love everything about the rehabilitative fields and i really want to be a physical therapist.

on paper, i'm competitive...i shouldn't have problems getting an interview or two. however, what im worried about is passing the interview, and also with my potential as a great therapist.

i am a very caring, friendly, sweet, and humorous person. i am a great listener and have a calming presence. however, i am naturally quiet and reserved. i am not shy especially when i want something done but when it comes to have conversations...sometimes it can get awkward.

so my question is, can i still be a good PT while having a reserved nature? i ask this because PT is a social field and it is emphasized to me that most of the therapy sessions are about getting the patients to "have fun". i don't think i will have any problems on the diagnostic end of PT, but as for the interactions, i am unsure of myself.

can i just simply be caring and friendly towards my patients, or am i expected be rambunctious and pull people out of their shells?

i've looked into other fields but PT draws me back again and again. i don't want to be a bad PT and thought of as a drag...

any thoughts appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The beauty of PT is that there are many settings that you can work at. For someone like you, acute care in a hospital may be the best option. You do not get to develop as much of a relationship with the patients (you see patients for a couple of days to a week max in most cases) compared to outpatient or SNF. In acute care, all you gotta do is: be EXTRA NICE to the nurses; be respectful to the patients; do your job; and get out of the room. You should be fine.

Keep in mind that most schools required full time clinicals at different settings and you are graded on your clinical skills as well as your interpersonal skills. A failing grade on an internship for either reason equals kicked out of PT school.

I don't think your personality has to be rambunctious or overly outgoing to be a good PT. Sometimes your patients will be more reserved as well and they will appreciate your calm and caring approach :)

As far as your interviews, you aren't being forced to make conversation or anything. You are being asked questions. So long as you are friendly enough to make a warm impression, it will be good/solid answers that will make the difference in your interview.

I wouldn't let this stop you from applying at all. In fact, your experience in clinical internships may force you out of your comfort zone a bit and make you a little more outgoing!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be applying this fall. I'm also a shy, reserved person, but what has helped me these past few years was working in areas that require customer service and patient interaction. I worked as a salesperson and then I worked as a PT aide. The jobs have helped me open up, practice my public speaking skills, and I feel more comfortable talking to strangers. I see the patients every week, so I get to know the patients as a person, not just an injured patient. And you don't need to be a person who talks constantly in order to succeed in the field. What patients care about is that you are listening to them (some patients like to talk a lot!) and you want them to get better. I'll always be an introverted person, but I don't feel that it would deter me from going into PT. :)

I too am a reserved person. I was really shy until I started working as a PT tech in an outpatient facility. Once you realize that people love to talk about themselves, you're good to go. You say you're a good listener, and this will help you remember what is going on with your patient's lives. Just ask questions, humor them, etc.
I worked with a therapist who was very calm and quiet, but she was great at what she did. Mostly she just asked a few questions and then let the patient talk to their delight while she worked on them. You really become their therapist in more ways than one in an outpatient setting.

So consider getting a tech job if at all possible. I used to feel self-conscious about my quiet demeanor compared to my bubbly co-worker who was able to be high energy and talkative all day. After they fired her, we found out she had been using cocaine. No wonder she would just decide to rearrange the cabinets for two straight hours without being asked to do so, but I digress..
:laugh:

There are pros and cons to almost any aspect of your personality. I just started school this month and am quiet - the hardest part for me has nothing to do with classes, but the social aspect with my classmates.

We are learning to interview a patient and they emphasize listening skills A LOT and one of our professors pointed out that it would be very hard for a lot of my classmates to "just shut up and listen," but in that respect quiet people will have an edge. You have those few minutes to develop a relationship and they want us to ask open ended question and let the patient talk as long as you come off caring and non-judgmental. Just remember therapy is about the patient, not you as the therapist.

it is emphasized to me that most of the therapy sessions are about getting the patients to "have fun".

Some PTs might think so, but I don't fall into that camp. It won't hurt things if your PT sessions are "fun" but it would be a whole lot better if they were effective. Too many therapists focus on wanting their patients to have a good time in rehab and don't focus enough on making the treatment effecacious and based on best current evidence. Remeber, patients are coming to you because they are in pain, not because they want to be entertained.

Reactions: 2 users
It really depends. Being outgoing and having great social skills are more valuable than grades. Does being shy translate into being a poor PT? Absolutely not, but you need to have some social skills.

hi everyone! i'm a prospective applicant to DPT programs in the coming year. i love everything about the rehabilitative fields and i really want to be a physical therapist.

on paper, i'm competitive...i shouldn't have problems getting an interview or two. however, what im worried about is passing the interview, and also with my potential as a great therapist.

i am a very caring, friendly, sweet, and humorous person. i am a great listener and have a calming presence. however, i am naturally quiet and reserved. i am not shy especially when i want something done but when it comes to have conversations...sometimes it can get awkward.

so my question is, can i still be a good PT while having a reserved nature? i ask this because PT is a social field and it is emphasized to me that most of the therapy sessions are about getting the patients to "have fun". i don't think i will have any problems on the diagnostic end of PT, but as for the interactions, i am unsure of myself.

can i just simply be caring and friendly towards my patients, or am i expected be rambunctious and pull people out of their shells?

i've looked into other fields but PT draws me back again and again. i don't want to be a bad PT and thought of as a drag...

any thoughts appreciated!

Shybread, you sound so much like me! Have you ever taken any personality tests... I am an INFJ on the MBTI if that means anything to you. Anyway, I would like to know what your career decision ended up being? Did you choose PT? Do you like it so far? If not, what field did you choose? And how are you liking where you are at? Because I am currently in the same boat as you.

BUMP-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Don't bank on a response from someone who posted 1 time over 4 years ago...

Well at least we can say that the advice already contained in this thread probably applies to you too :)

Some PTs might think so, but I don't fall into that camp. It won't hurt things if your PT sessions are "fun" but it would be a whole lot better if they were effective. Too many therapists focus on wanting their patients to have a good time in rehab and don't focus enough on making the treatment effecacious and based on best current evidence. Remeber, patients are coming to you because they are in pain, not because they want to be entertained.
I agree with JessPT. It is good to be able to switch between approaches with different patients. Some need to be put at ease, some need direct nuts and bolts explanations of things. If you are an effective communicator, it doesn't matter what your style is. There are effective entertainer-types, and effective quiet types. You may have more success with some and less success with others but that is the case with the entertainer-types too. Every department/ needs at least one of each type because different patients "hear" things better from a certain type of delivery. Just like PTs, different patients have different styles. you will be most successful with patients that have similar styles as you.