Can some give me a break down how to get started?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hjdmx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I missed the deadline to apply to the military resiliency . I emailed my local recruiter numerous times and no answer. I want to join the Air Force that offers Intership year training. I'm a graduated 4th year med student and passed all 3 steps.One person that did respond to me said that I have to be in the Air Force to apply to residency.

So what is my steps to join the AF and apply ofr residency next year?
Can i join as a Flight Surgeon? As a GMO?
How soon can I join?

Does anyone have a breakdown?

Members don't see this ad.

what would be the road map if I don't get a civilian residency ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to basic training and hope for the best. The military doesn't want docs who didn't make it in the civilian match.

Every few months an ms4 comes on here thinking the military will take them after they didn't get what they wanted in the civilian match, a simple search would tell you otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user
You could go to your recruitment office. Just bear in mind that whoever you speak to is trying to sell you a lemon 100% of the time. But as mentioned, if you failed to match on the civilian side, the AF is going to look poorly on that.

And to answer your question, I had a breakdown about a year out of residency, but now that I'm a hollow shell of a person, military life is easier.

Reactions: 1 user
You could go to your recruitment office. Just bear in mind that whoever you speak to is trying to sell you a lemon 100% of the time. But as mentioned, if you failed to match on the civilian side, the AF is going to look poorly on that.

And to answer your question, I had a breakdown about a year out of residency, but now that I'm a hollow shell of a person, military life is easier.

what u mean you had a breakdown about year out of residency?
Since your a hollow shell of person, mil life is easier? can you explain

what u mean you had a breakdown about year out of residency?
Since your a hollow shell of person, mil life is easier? can you explain
Yup. Military life, at least in the Army, is crap. Once you accept the fact that you're a spider in the toilet, and just let the flow take you where it will, life gets easier.

Ok I missed the deadline to apply to the military resiliency . I emailed my local recruiter numerous times and no answer. I want to join the Air Force that offers Intership year training. I'm a graduated 4th year med student and passed all 3 steps.One person that did respond to me said that I have to be in the Air Force to apply to residency.

So what is my steps to join the AF and apply ofr residency next year?
Can i join as a Flight Surgeon? As a GMO?
How soon can I join?

Does anyone have a breakdown?

Generally speaking, if you want help finding a solution to something, it's useful to be less vague about your problem.

Are you a US resident?
Did you graduate from an accredited US medical school?
Did you fail to match to an PGY-1 year anyplace?
Were you then unable to scramble into a PGY-1 year anyplace?
Is the Air Force your backup plan, given all of the above?

it is funny that we regularly get posts from people who want an answer as to whether or not military med is right for them, but at the same time have a major problem with sharing any relevant information. It's like asking if being kosher and wearing a yamaka is right for me, but getting frustrated when you ask if I'm Jewish.

I'm not. I love bacon too much.

Are you a US resident? Yes
Did you graduate from an accredited US medical school? Yes
Did you fail to match to an PGY-1 year anyplace? Well no interviews yet and missed deadline for this year for mil match thinking of 2017
Were you then unable to scramble into a PGY-1 year anyplace? scramble is in March - will have to see
Is the Air Force your backup plan, given all of the above? Actually going the Air Force sounds more exciting to me than a civilian- I just want to go to Family Med or Internal Med

Have been emailing and calling recruiters to get a solid answer and no replies for nearly two weeks.

Did you fail to match to an PGY-1 year anyplace? Well no interviews yet and missed deadline for this year for mil match thinking of 2017

OK ... so you graduated from med school when? 2015? 2014? How long have you been out of med school?

You didn't start an internship right after med school? You didn't match/scramble then, and this year is your 2nd attempt at the civilian match, with no interviews?

What have you been doing since graduating med school?

OK ... so you graduated from med school when? 2015? 2014? How long have you been out of med school?

You didn't start an internship right after med school? You didn't match/scramble then, and this year is your 2nd attempt at the civilian match, with no interviews?

What have you been doing since graduating med school?

graduated May 2015. -

1st attempt at civilian w/ no interviews.

Earning MBA, working as research analyst, and volunteering at Red Cross.

Have been emailing and calling recruiters to get a solid answer and no replies for nearly two weeks.

That's because military medicine has nothing for you.

Flight surgeons and GMOs are internship-trained physicians. If you have not completed an internship, these positions are closed to you.

Military residencies are (with rare exceptions) for people who have already undertaken a military commitment. If you are not a student at the U.S. military's medical school (USUHS) or a recipient of an HPSP scholarship, military GME is not for you. Applying for the military match in 2017 because you "missed this year's deadline" is a non-sequitur as you are not eligible to receive an internship or residency spot in military GME.

The pathway to military medicine for medical school graduates is called FAP and there are highly detailed "stickies" at the top of this forum explaining this pathway. Suffice it to say, you need to be accepted to or enrolled in an accredited residency that the particular military service considers to be a "medical specialty of need" at which point you can enter a contract with the particular branch of service wherein you are provided with money in return for a military medical service commitment.

Service as a military physician is closed to you unless you can secure a civilian residency. If you cannot secure a civilian residency and still want to join the military, you can do as others have suggested and enlist/commission through the normal route.

Your best bet is to find a program - any program - in the civilian match or scramble. Be willing to take any spot, anywhere, or see what you can do with that MBA.

There's really no path for you to enter the military without completing GME first. We have more HPSP and USUHS grads than PGY-1 spots across the three services ... some of them will be deferred. Even had you attempted to apply on time, you have risk and little else to offer over our very full applicant pool (who haven't already sat out a year after graduation).

In a more general sense, you shouldn't think of military service and military GME as some kind of low tier, non competitive, backup to fall into. We are not the GME of last resort for weak, troubled, or red flagged people who can't find a way to finish training anywhere else.

I wish you luck, but we can't help you.

Your predicament sucks, and I don't know your entire story...

But military aside, here is some general doctor/life advice. What pgg said cannot be stressed enough. Take whatever position you can find for any residency or internship. Now is not the time to be choosy with regard to medical specialty or geographic location. You need to cast as wide a net as possible during this match period and be willing to scramble into any spot available.

Do not put yourself into this position:
http://notadoctorjustamd.blogspot.c...howComment=1427172072515#c3535627127933567282

Your predicament sucks, and I don't know your entire story...

But military aside, here is some general doctor/life advice. What pgg said cannot be stressed enough. Take whatever position you can find for any residency or internship. Now is not the time to be choosy with regard to medical specialty or geographic location. You need to cast as wide a net as possible during this match period and be willing to scramble into any spot available.

Do not put yourself into this position:
http://notadoctorjustamd.blogspot.c...howComment=1427172072515#c3535627127933567282
This young ladys story is terrible. Somebody should have said no a long time ago. Not sure why she did not go np route. Thinking of the .mil as a haven for marginal candidates is terrible. Most people do not understand the .mil the microscope is on you morso then the civillian life. With all the PSRs, O-5 nurses, and monthly peer review, its not a place to be marginal. We as the medical education community did a diservice because she should have been weeded out a long time ago.

Google and read the BUMEDNOTE 1524. It has the Navy rules. The following paragraph has been in this document for 15 years:

e. Civilian physicians and reserve medical officers may be considered for Navy GME training. Civilian applicants must meet all requirements for initial appointment to active duty as a Medical Corps officer and approved for commissioning prior to applying to the JSGMESB. Reserve officers must be eligible and approved by PERS-4415 for recall to active duty in the Navy Medical Corps prior to submitting an application for Navy sponsored GME. Selection of civilians and reserve medical officers is contingent upon the manning needs and availability of training positions after all active duty applicants have been placed.

Despite that, I'm unaware of this happening (even in the terrible recruiting years when we couldn't fill our inservice programs circa 2007ish). Your point of contact would be the Navy GME office in Bethesda but I wouldn't bother them until the spring when they are revving up for next year's cycle. I'm also unsure how in the world you would get "approved for commissioning" prior to applying. The odds of this working out are exceedingly poor.

Do you have any insight in why you've failed to match?