Can somebody share his/her canned reports/macros?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhous007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, as a no native speaker I am interested if somebody could share her/his canned reports or macros. I am always willing to improve my dictionary with useful phrases.

Members don't see this ad.

So nobody wants...

Actually I have come across some useful web pages with examples how to phrase your sign outs so here I share: www.librepathology.org and www.hematogones.com.

Anyway, if somebody would be so kind and share sign out/report/canned report examples I would be grateful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, as a no native speaker I am interested if somebody could share her/his canned reports or macros. I am always willing to improve my dictionary with useful phrases.

I suggest you go back to your country. You are a danger to patients if you cannot communicate here.

I suggest you go back to your country. You are a danger to patients if you cannot communicate here.
Don't know about anyone else here, but I'm sensing the pungent stench of deplorability in this comment.

I do not understand your vocabulary, sorry. Just the tone behind reminds me of late 30s in Europe (see below). What I cannot communicate? Can you explain? Yes, I am not a native speaker as was underpinned in the first post. It is my hobby to collect pathology reports and the way the are assembled. One can then easily populate software like PhraseExpress, Breevy or PhraseExpander and insted of voice recognition software like Dragon may use Autotext-like features and a rather quick copy-pasting. Your post is useless and does not bring anything new or usefull for the community. I have come across the web pages that may be usefull for somebody else and I simply shared. I did not open a new thread, just appended. And do not worry, I am not practising in the US and I do not intend to overtake your job for less. Prey, that you will not happen to become a refugee in the future and people from your new country of residence would behave to you as to the second, third class man in the same way as your attitude is as your French, German, Russian, Cantoneese or Hebrew is not not good enough for them. You should tell the same to Juan Rosai, originating from Argentina and originally of italian descent, Damjanov originally from Croatia and many others.
o-DAILY-MAIL-1938-facebook.jpg

Don't know about anyone else here, but I'm sensing the pungent stench of deplorability in this comment.

It has been my experience that the inability to communicate English has led directly to patient harm. I find that deplorable also.

With help of Thrombus et al. Trump's dream will come to fruition "Make America great ( pure white) again"!!

With help of Thrombus et al. Trump's dream will come to fruition "Make America great ( pure white) again"!!

For those who are ignorant, crafting a good pathology report often times requires excellent command of the English language and communication skills. Reducing our profession to "canned macros" is insulting and puts patients best interests at risk. Deplorable!

For those who are ignorant, crafting a good pathology report often times requires excellent command of the English language and communication skills. Reducing our profession to "canned macros" is insulting and puts patients best interests at risk. Deplorable!

I agree with this sentiment and don't use canned macros. I prefer to write my diagnoses in proper prose rather than an all-caps news-headline style.

It makes me slightly slower but at least then I pay attention and provide a true consultation, and my clinical referral base appreciates that.

The laxity by which we allow non-fluent speakers/writers into the profession is abhorrent, but the OPs English isn't that bad, and he doesn't even practice here, so what does it matter in this case?

OK, here free speech is used in reports with bullet form in conclusions. But for a lot of straighforward cases - like BCCs, SCCs, SebKs and many others it is much easier to simply copy paste canned phrases and then adjust core data items in proforma as it allows me to focus on the more complicated cases.

I am just interested in finding different approches to phrasing pathology reports as one may easily find something useful. For example, I can feel a little medicolegal difference in the following examples:
- RIGHT VASECTOMY: VAS DEFERENS WITHIN NORMAL LIMITS, LOOP OF EPITHELIUM AND MUSCLE LAYERS PRESENT. vs. just typing COMPLETE CROSS SECTION or
- CASE SEEN WITH DR.XXX vs THE KEY SLIDE (1B2) OF CASE SEEN WITH DR.XXX WHO CONCURS WITH THE RENDERED DIAGNOSIS

Here is my take on this: You can choose either Type-writer or computer: both will work! You can use email or snail mail, again both will work, etc. etc. etc. Similarly, you can use your personal, custom designed (or dictated) report or use canned report (with modification as desired): as far as patient care: if done properly, both will deliver identical results. There is no reason to call other method (or different view) as deplorable or anything like that. Our focus should be on appropriate patient care!!!

I'll occasionally use canned language, mostly on benign ditzels where there are multiple ways to say the same thing (that the clinician won't read anyway). I also have my general lingo on GI biopsies because it keeps me from missing anything. I would say I'm prepared to explain anything in more complicated language to the clinician in person and do so frequently.

I do use the ALL CAPS just because I've done it at my previous institutions and it's done here, plus to be fair, it draws the eye if you're quickly scanning through the headings. If I have an elaboration that I don't want to yell at the clinician, then I can be verbose in the comment.