About the ads

Can someone explain why a single dose of hCG causes a LH surge?

Discussion in 'Step I' started by auburnO5, Apr 3, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. auburnO5

auburnO5

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I understand that it's made early by the embryo and then syncytiotrophoblasts to keep the corpus luteum producing progesterone.

I guess I can't figure out why it would cause an LH surge.

This is in the setting of an anovulatory/infertile female seeking fertility treatment, after doses of menotropins (GnRH?) were given.
  2. lakerfan38

lakerfan38

SDN 5+ Year Member
    hCG is very similar to LH.

Same alpha subunit as LH and similar beta subuint

3. lookmanohands

lookmanohands

(here's what I think/remember): The infertile woman is probably lacking FSH and LH. The menotropins are probably acting like FSH to handle what FSH was supposed to do.

FSH, LH, TSH, and hCG share a common alpha subunit so hCG can simulate an LH surge if you spike it into her. I think it's actually replacing the LH surge, not causing an LH surge
  4. medstud87

medstud87

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ^This. Basically hCG = LH w/ weak FSH and TSH (TSH can cross placenta--> maternal hyperthyroidism but unapparent because of estrogen increasing TBG). Produced by placenta in order to 'save' the corpus luteum --> production of estrogen/PROGESTERONE from ovaries and corpus luteum until 2nd trimester when placenta takes over. Is actually highest in concentration 2nd and 3rd trimester.

Key board style question I got from Kaplan... "When can ovaries be removed during pregnancy (I don't know why you'd want to remove them but whatever)?"
    Ans: After 1st trimester because placenta takes over.