Can someone give me hope, please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soccer885

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really upset about my MCAT score that I just recieved: 8 PS, 7 VR, 9 BS; total- 24Q! I have a great GPA, it's a 3.88 overall and a 3.75 BCPM. I want to go to DO school but now I am worried that my MCAT score is too low to get in anywhere. I have been doing research for a year and I have Volunteered for a year and a half at a free clinic. I have not followed a DO yet however, so if any one lives in Tampa and knows a good DO to shadow please let me know!

So I was wondering if my stats are good enough to get in. I feel aweful starting another one of these. I am just so upset and wanted to know if I had a chance! I do plan on retaking in August!

Members don't see this ad.

Soccer885 said:
I am really upset about my MCAT score that I just recieved: 8 PS, 7 VR, 9 BS; total- 24Q! I have a great GPA, it's a 3.88 overall and a 3.75 BCPM. I want to go to DO school but now I am worried that my MCAT score is too low to get in anywhere. I have been doing research for a year and I have Volunteered for a year and a half at a free clinic. I have not followed a DO yet however, so if any one lives in Tampa and knows a good DO to shadow please let me know!

So I was wondering if my stats are good enough to get in. I feel aweful starting another one of these. I am just so upset and wanted to know if I had a chance! I do plan on retaking in August!

MCAT score is fine for DO schools. The school with the highest average is a 28. Those are averages.

Soccer885 said:

Apply early and broadly and you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Soccer885 said:

I got in with a 25M and a GPA of 3.85 overall and 3.85 BCPM. And I applied late and my interview was in March. You'll be fine!

Soccer885 said:

Your stats sound competitive for DO. Work on finding a DO to shadow and get some more, varied, shadowing experiences; the more diverse the better.
~James

Soccer885 said:

Florida has more DOs than where I'm from, MA. I don't think you'll have a problem finding one. However, you may have to look around because I know that applicants have had problems finding a DO that will allow shadowing due to confidentiality laws.

24Q and with that GPA is fine for DO schools. Since you're from Florida, you have an instate preference for Nova, but I don't think you have one for LE-Bradenton. Best of luck.

Thanks everyone! I feel like I have hope again!

I think I am in similar boat. My GPA is 3.81 and MCAT score is 25 (10P, 6V :( , 9B). I am going to apply to all of the DO schools. I am from Texas and hopefully I can get into TCOM.

Soccer885 said:
Thanks everyone! I feel like I have hope again!

Soccer885 said:

I was accepted to KCOM and AZCOM with a 24. My GPA was much lower than yours.

Apply as soon as possible and to as many schools in possible. Make sure everything is complete prior to taking your August MCAT.

You might be surprised at your results.

Doc2007 said:
I think I am in similar boat. My GPA is 3.81 and MCAT score is 25 (10P, 6V :( , 9B). I am going to apply to all of the DO schools. I am from Texas and hopefully I can get into TCOM.

TCOM didn't accept me with a 28, but my GPA was much lower than yours.

Good luck!

OSUdoc08 said:

Good luck!

Are you from TX? Because I think TX has rule that they have to get 90% of their students from TX.

Doc2007 said:
Are you from TX? Because I think TX has rule that they have to get 90% of their students from TX.

I'm from Texas.

P.S. I inteviewed at Baylor College of Medicine, but not TCOM.

osudoc do you mind pming me your gpa? I just want to compare with mine. My gpa is on the lower side and I got a lower than average mcat score. This is really embarrassing. I got 9 and 10 on my physics and bio, but my verbal sucked.

OSUdoc08 said:
I was accepted to KCOM and AZCOM with a 24. My GPA was much lower than yours.

Apply as soon as possible and to as many schools in possible. Make sure everything is complete prior to taking your August MCAT.

You might be surprised at your results.

Members don't see this ad :)
So everyone's advice seems to be to apply early. What is considered early. I probably wont be able to get my application completed for another week. Is this early enough? And I looked at the average MCAT scores for DO and my MCAT score doesn't really seem to be too competitive (24Q). Does a great GPA (cum 3.88) really make up for the lower then par MCAT?

Soccer885 said:
So everyone's advice seems to be to apply early. What is considered early. I probably wont be able to get my application completed for another week. Is this early enough? And I looked at the average MCAT scores for DO and my MCAT score doesn't really seem to be too competitive (24Q). Does a great GPA (cum 3.88) really make up for the lower then par MCAT?
Really early would have been weeks ago. However, since AACOMAS has not distributed the applications to DO schools yet, you are still 'relatively' early in the process. Another week isn't horrible, but make sure it is accurate. Follow their directions explicitly and make sure there are no typos. Inaccuracies will only slow down the verification process which can range extensively from a few days to weeks. Your high GPA certainly helps, but does not totally negate the MCAT. Your 24Q is within the ballpark. Most DO schools have MCAT averages in the md 20s with ~28 being the highest from Western U/COMP. Best of luck.

Soccer885 said:

I believe mine did. I was in the same situation last year and had no problems getting in. That is not to say, however, that the only reason I got in was because my stellar GPA took some heat off the MCAT. I think if everything else is in order/good, you won't have a problem. :luck:

Soccer885 said:

If you apply to enough schools, you'll get in somewhere. Applying next week is early, yes.

OSUdoc08 said:

Good luck!

Which did you have, a 28 or a 24?

Noway said:
Which did you have, a 28 or a 24?

I ( the original person who started this thread) had a 24.

You know, I think early really means having your application completed by August or so. If you can beat the August mcaters, then you're still early. :) Just don't wait until October, and you should be fine.

Some schools (like VCOM :) ) don't place much emphasis on MCAT scores. I only had a 22 and the dean of admissions told me I was "well within the range" and not to bother retaking it.

I think...or I'd like to think...that DO schools look at everything you do and not play so strictly to numbers, however important they are. I got a 25R and had a 3.5GPA and I didn't interview until March 31st...and I'm going to Western.

So there is still LOTS of hope :)

Good luck to all!!

With a 24 I got into KCOM, AZCOM, DMU and I turned down interviews to Touro and Nova.

vt hokie said:
Some schools (like VCOM :) ) don't place much emphasis on MCAT scores. I only had a 22 and the dean of admissions told me I was "well within the range" and not to bother retaking it.

IMHO, VCOM is kind of flaky. I had a 29 MCAT and graduated with a 3.94 (4.0 science) GPA. They asked to see my fall grades before they would grant an interview. I withdrew my application. It ain't scores they're looking at in Blacksburg.

mjakec said:
With a 24 I got into KCOM, AZCOM, DMU and I turned down interviews to Touro and Nova.

I see in your signature line that you got into University of Vermont. Congrads! Did you get an acceptance there with a 24 also?