Can someone help me with my application timeline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmyshadow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am currently doing a postbac program since I am switching careers from a computer programmer to dentistry. I am trying to figure out when I should be aiming to take the DAT since I am currently working full time as well as taking courses. IDEALLY, I would like to apply Summer 2016 and enter school Fall '17. I also need to take 8 courses (total) in order to get a commmittee letter from this school, as well as hopefully raise my GPA enough to improve on my not-so-great undergrad GPA from 3 years ago.

Currently:
Took Chem 1 and Bio 1 last fall
Taking Chem 2 and Bio 2 this spring

Planning on:

Biochem in the summer

Orgo 1 and an 'upper level' bio class Fall '15
Orgo 2 Spring of '16

Apply??? Summer '16

I know studying for the DAT is time consuming. Where would it fit into my schedule? Should I study during my winter break next year and take it while i am in Orgo 2? Would I have enough time to study after Orgo 2 ends in mid May, and study for a month to take it in mid June? Is that already putting me at a disadvantage?

How long should I realistically expect to study for the DAT and when is the best time to study for it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I thought you need ochem before bio chem as a pre req

I am currently doing a postbac program since I am switching careers from a computer programmer to dentistry. I am trying to figure out when I should be aiming to take the DAT since I am currently working full time as well as taking courses. IDEALLY, I would like to apply Summer 2016 and enter school Fall '17. I also need to take 8 courses (total) in order to get a commmittee letter from this school, as well as hopefully raise my GPA enough to improve on my not-so-great undergrad GPA from 3 years ago.

Currently:
Took Chem 1 and Bio 1 last fall
Taking Chem 2 and Bio 2 this spring

Planning on:

Biochem in the summer

Orgo 1 and an 'upper level' bio class Fall '15
Orgo 2 Spring of '16

Apply??? Summer '16

I know studying for the DAT is time consuming. Where would it fit into my schedule? Should I study during my winter break next year and take it while i am in Orgo 2? Would I have enough time to study after Orgo 2 ends in mid May, and study for a month to take it in mid June? Is that already putting me at a disadvantage?

How long should I realistically expect to study for the DAT and when is the best time to study for it?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't take it this summer as I wouldn't have had Ochem yet.

And I don't need orgo for Biochem. I guess it's just Intro to Biochemistry, but the only prereq is 2 semesters of Biology.

take it when you feel like your ready. Go to dat bootcamp and you can find like a schedule to fallow on it. I

Look up pre req of each scool you plan to apply. All schools I can think of off the top of my head require 8 semester hours of physics as well as 3 or 6 hours of english courses in addition to bio 1/2, chem 1/2, and orgo 1/2 and biochem.

Look up pre req of each scool you plan to apply. All schools I can think of off the top of my head require 8 semester hours of physics as well as 3 or 6 hours of english courses in addition to bio 1/2, chem 1/2, and orgo 1/2 and biochem.
Hey thanks, I have looked all this stuff up, and do have physics/english/maths from my undergrad degree. I am more so wondering on when to study for the DAT and how long I should set aside for it. I would ideally like to apply as early as possible, but if I finish my last semester or orgo 2 mid-May... and would like study for a month and apply in June, is that too little time?

Hey thanks, I have looked all this stuff up, and do have physics/english/maths from my undergrad degree. I am more so wondering on when to study for the DAT and how long I should set aside for it. I would ideally like to apply as early as possible, but if I finish my last semester or orgo 2 mid-May... and would like study for a month and apply in June, is that too little time?

Make sure that the schools youp plan to apply to accept pre req from 5 or so years ago. I THINK you will be fine in this aspect though, but further research will be needed to validate this.

As for studying, it might not be a bad idea to start studying now for the DAT. I worked close to full time when I was in your position as well as being a full time student, so it is totally do-able but not fun. After the semester is over, study hard for a solid 3 weeks to solidify everything that you have studied up to that point.