can someone shed some light on DO please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letmein145

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been a premed my entire adult life, but just today considered DO school for the first time in my life. Why? probably because all of the negative stereotype surrounding DO school and the fact that I was too ignorant and stubborn to look into DO schools prior to today.

anyway, can somebody shed some light on DO schools please, since I am absolutely new to this?

1) Are there DO schools in California?
2) What is the main difference between the two besides the philosophy of medicine?
3) Is it more difficult to get a residency as a DO?
4) Is the pay less for DOs?
5) Are there separate residencies for DO and MD?

As you can see...i am completely ignornat on the subject, so I thought I would look here first for my first attempt at researching this.

thank you.:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

1) Are there DO schools in California?
Yes; Tucom and Western
2) What is the main difference between the two besides the philosophy of medicine?
OMM
3) Is it more difficult to get a residency as a DO?
Not significantly
4) Is the pay less for DOs?
No
5) Are there separate residencies for DO and MD?
Yes and no - DO's can compete for DO residencies, and MD residencies, but MDs cannot compete for a DO residency.

Each of these questions has been extensively discussed in separate threads. If you want more information about this do a search for each question, you will have reading material for days.

Here's a good starting point for information.

http://www.aacom.org/

You will be able to find things like a geographical map to schools and links to their websites.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP: Please D.O. a search! Thank you. No seriously...your questions have been answered ad nauseum on these forums. good luck.

Hey,
Welcome to the DO forum. It sounds like (from your very limited description of yourself) that a DO degree might be a good thing to shoot for. Go check out the FAQ that was linked, and you'll be able to answer almost any general question you have. Also, just hang around the boards and read threads; you will be an expert in no time.

Geeze! Do a quick search on Google. These are simple questions that could easily be answers if you were to show a little initiative on your end. How could you possible be interested in something that you obviously know nothing about?

Geeze! Do a quick search on Google. These are simple questions that could easily be answers if you were to show a little initiative on your end. How could you possible be interested in something that you obviously know nothing about?
I know nothing about it because i've never been interested in it before until last night. I'm also new to the SDN (just started last night) so i don't know where to look as there are many places to look. I just wanted to get a starting point and get some references like the ones posted on here. You need to relax.

I know nothing about it because i've never been interested in it before until last night. I'm also new to the SDN (just started last night) so i don't know where to look as there are many places to look. I just wanted to get a starting point and get some references like the ones posted on here. You need to relax.

It's just that people are sick of being asked to "shed some light on DO". As if it's completely obscure and secretive and hasn't been around for well over 100 years.

Give the guy/girl a break. I don't understand why everybody gets so pissed off about people asking honest questions. We all had to ask questions at some point. It doesn't matter if the question has been asked a million times, we all contributed to that. It is stupid to get annoyed with people just because they asked after you did.

There are two types of medical doctors in US and they are allopathic medical doctors and osteopathic medical doctors. Osteopathic medical doctors have different philosophy and they get additional trainig in Osteopathic manipulative treamtment. Osteopathic philosophy is geared more towards primary care but you can specialize you would like.

Give the guy/girl a break. I don't understand why everybody gets so pissed off about people asking honest questions. We all had to ask questions at some point. It doesn't matter if the question has been asked a million times, we all contributed to that. It is stupid to get annoyed with people just because they asked after you did.

There's so much information that's so readily available. The reason people get annoyed is because it's obvious that someone who asks such a basic question has done zero research to find the info on their own. It's the rough equivalent of coming on these boards and asking "What's 2 + 2?"

There's so much information that's so readily available. The reason people get annoyed is because it's obvious that someone who asks such a basic question has done zero research to find the info on their own. It's the rough equivalent of coming on these boards and asking "What's 2 + 2?"

Exactly.

Well, I've only been on SDN for less than a week, but it seems like the DO forum won't let you ask any questions. If you can't ask basic questions and you can't ask "Do I have a shot" questions and everybody just keeps on saying, there's so much information out there, then what's the point of having a forum? If you think it's a stupid question, just don't answer it. It's as easy as that.

Well, I've only been on SDN for less than a week, but it seems like the DO forum won't let you ask any questions. If you can't ask basic questions and you can't ask "Do I have a shot" questions and everybody just keeps on saying, there's so much information out there, then what's the point of having a forum? If you think it's a stupid question, just don't answer it. It's as easy as that.

I agree with the OP. We do have the FAQs and other threads with information, but sometimes it is necessary to direct posters to that information.

Please keep in mind that we're dealing with people that have no exposure to Osteopathic Medicine, it would be nice if their first impression was that it's a helpful group of people willing to offer them the help they're looking for.

These type of ridiculous threads need to end.

Forums are not for asking questions that can be simply answered by google.
I find the pre-osteo and osteo forum to be the most friendly and helpful forum on SDN, but enough is enough about the "what is a DO?" threads. It hogs up the room for actual stimulating and thought provoking topics that can be discussed.

It is very simple- read the FAQs thats what they are there for, and "what are my chances?" threads are fine- we simply want them all in one thread instead of making your own so that the entire forum isnt full of them.

These type of ridiculous threads need to end.

Forums are not for asking questions that can be simply answered by google.
I find the pre-osteo and osteo forum to be the most friendly and helpful forum on SDN, but enough is enough about the "what is a DO?" threads. It hogs up the room for actual stimulating and thought provoking topics that can be discussed.

It is very simple- read the FAQs thats what they are there for, and "what are my chances?" threads are fine- we simply want them all in one thread instead of making your own so that the entire forum isnt full of them.

I understand your POV. However, whether we like it or not, these threads will likely come up in a cyclic manner. Folks don't know where to go for information and choose to ask for help here. This whole process can be very disorienting. I know I was somewhat confused when I first started. Thankfully, there were some really patient folks on SDN that pointed me in the right direction. Anyway, I think the best thing we can do when faced with such a thread is to kindly direct the member to the appropriate FAQ and let the thread die gracefully. ;)

I understand your POV. However, whether we like it or not, these threads will likely come up in a cyclic manner. Folks don't know where to go for information and choose to ask for help here. This whole process can be very disorienting. I know I was somewhat confused when I first started. Thankfully, there were some really patient folks on SDN that pointed me in the right direction. Anyway, I think the best thing we can do when faced with such a thread is to kindly direct the member to the appropriate FAQ and let the thread die gracefully. ;)

Thank you spicedmanna and Depakote. This thread would've ended when the first couple of posts directed me to the right FAQs and asked me to search for my answers before asking questions that are too basic. Instead, it got dragged on unnecessarily. Anyway, hope the thread dies here. Thanks for all those who have been helpful.