Can Someone Tell Me...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NataliaGB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding ABPN requirements for prelim, it's either a year of IM
OR...
6 months IM
2 out of remaining 6 months should be IM, FP, EM or Peds...
No more than 2 months of neuro.

A) I believe these don't have to be completed in any particular sequence? I.e. You can do your first month as FM then IM then another FM...True?

B) Say you follow above guidelines. You do 6 months IM, 3 months FM, 2 months neuro. Can the remaining month be psych?

C) Under no circumstance can you start PGY2 year even if you're missing 2 months of IM? Meaning IM has to be all complete before you START pgy2?

I'm trying to switch into neuro but I'm going to fall short 12 weeks of IM per prelim reqs...I would do anything to start as a pgy2 and not do a whole intern year. Maybe wait for pgy2 spots or just apply pgy1 in the match and negociate??

Input welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is what you need to know:

One year of training in general pediatrics and one year of training in internal medicine in ACGME-accredited programs.

An acceptable alternative to the one year of internal medicine is a full year of ACGME-accredited training that includes a minimum of six months of internal medicine, the details of which must be documented by the training director. The composition of these six months may not include rotations in neurology, family medicine, pediatrics, or emergency medicine. To ensure that these six months constitute a high-quality experience, they should emphasize progressive responsibility for the resident.

At least two of the additional six months must be spent in internal medicine, pediatrics, and/or emergency medicine.

For candidates entering child neurology residency training on or after July 1, 2002, at least two of the additional six months must be spent in internal medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, and/or emergency medicine. No more than two of the remaining four months may be spent in neurology.

Ref: www. Abpn.com
Requirements download here

Good luck!

This is what you need to know:

One year of training in general pediatrics and one year of training in internal medicine in ACGME-accredited programs.

An acceptable alternative to the one year of internal medicine is a full year of ACGME-accredited training that includes a minimum of six months of internal medicine, the details of which must be documented by the training director. The composition of these six months may not include rotations in neurology, family medicine, pediatrics, or emergency medicine. To ensure that these six months constitute a high-quality experience, they should emphasize progressive responsibility for the resident.

At least two of the additional six months must be spent in internal medicine, pediatrics, and/or emergency medicine.

For candidates entering child neurology residency training on or after July 1, 2002, at least two of the additional six months must be spent in internal medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, and/or emergency medicine. No more than two of the remaining four months may be spent in neurology.

Ref: www. Abpn.com
Requirements download here

Good luck!

Hi,

Yes, I had seen the above before and was basing my understanding of the requirements I noted in my post on this. However, I'm still unclear as to A, B, and C of my post. If anyone knows...I have tried to call the ABPN on this in the past and either I had the wrong department or they were giving me the wrong info (i.e. telling me, "we don't know" and to ask individual programs....Makes no sense if they are the ones producing the requirements!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, does anyone know whether the 6 months of internal medicine (minimum mentioned in above post) have to be completed back-to-back during a prelim or transitional year for neuro? Say in intern year (of another specialty) you did 3 months of medicine, then 1 month of path, and then 3 more months medicine...then the rest of whatever is acceptable (more IM, FM, peds, EM whatever).

The part that's confusing me from above posted requirement is, "The composition of these six months may not include rotations in neurology, family medicine, pediatrics, or emergency medicine"....Does that mean the compositions of individual rotations themselves may not include any material that is neuro, fam, peds, EM? or does that mean the six months of medicine have to be back to back?

i.e. People who switch to neuro from other specialties don't necessarily do their medicine months as 6 months in a row.. Say, people who transfer from neurosurg...So they might do a month of medicine before sitting for boards for example. I'm guessing that is still allowed.

Hi,

Yes, I had seen the above before and was basing my understanding of the requirements I noted in my post on this. However, I'm still unclear as to A, B, and C of my post. If anyone knows...I have tried to call the ABPN on this in the past and either I had the wrong department or they were giving me the wrong info (i.e. telling me, "we don't know" and to ask individual programs....Makes no sense if they are the ones producing the requirements!)

Last edited:
Seriously, does anyone know whether the 6 months of internal medicine (minimum mentioned in above post) have to be completed back-to-back during a prelim or transitional year for neuro? Say in intern year (of another specialty) you did 3 months of medicine, then 1 month of path, and then 3 more months medicine...then the rest of whatever is acceptable (more IM, FM, peds, EM whatever).

The part that's confusing me from above posted requirement is, "The composition of these six months may not include rotations in neurology, family medicine, pediatrics, or emergency medicine"....Does that mean the compositions of individual rotations themselves may not include any material that is neuro, fam, peds, EM? or does that mean the six months of medicine have to be back to back?

i.e. People who switch to neuro from other specialties don't necessarily do their medicine months as 6 months in a row.. Say, people who transfer from neurosurg...So they might do a month of medicine before sitting for boards for example. I'm guessing that is still allowed.

The requirements you refer to are for a minimum of 6 months of documented IM training. Don't read more into this than that.

They do not have to be 6 consecutive months. The months must be in IM, not neurology etc. that means you aren't completing a month of neurology. Sure, you might have neurology consults or some neuro patients that you are exposed to during your rotation, but it's okay as long as you are officially completing a month of internal medicine.

Of your remaining 6 months (of 12), 2 need to be EM or IM or Peds. If I remember correctly, you cannot have more than a certain number of neurology out of the remaining last 4 months. Ophthamology and radiology make good selections...

The requirements you refer to are for a minimum of 6 months of documented IM training. Don't read more into this than that.

They do not have to be 6 consecutive months. The months must be in IM, not neurology etc. that means you aren't completing a month of neurology. Sure, you might have neurology consults or some neuro patients that you are exposed to during your rotation, but it's okay as long as you are officially completing a month of internal medicine.

Of your remaining 6 months (of 12), 2 need to be EM or IM or Peds. If I remember correctly, you cannot have more than a certain number of neurology out of the remaining last 4 months. Ophthamology and radiology make good selections...

Thanks Daniel...And it sounds like the remaining months can also include FM for people entering neuro after 2001 (not limited to EM, IM, or Peds). Unclear if the last four months can include psychiatry. Also, it seems you do NOT have to complete all twelve months of prelim reqs before starting PGY2 year...I.e. you can do a remaining month of IM before sitting for neuro boards...Unless I'm wrong?

Thanks Daniel...And it sounds like the remaining months can also include FM for people entering neuro after 2001 (not limited to EM, IM, or Peds). Unclear if the last four months can include psychiatry. Also, it seems you do NOT have to complete all twelve months of prelim reqs before starting PGY2 year...I.e. you can do a remaining month of IM before sitting for neuro boards...Unless I'm wrong?

I don't know. You need to check with a PD in a neurology program I think. My guess is that you have to have completed the 12 months' worth of PGY-1 prior to starting PGY-2. I don't know about the psychiatry either. It may be treated similar to neurology...you can have, say, two months of it but no more than that amount contributing to the total. Again, I would simply check with your neurology PD.