Can someone transfer to a DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VolibearMain

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Uh, Im still not 100% sure I want to do podiatry. I know I want to be a doctor, and based on my current stats and GPA, im border line DO acceptance, and Im pretty stable for podiatry.

If I pick a school like Western, Des Moines, that has both programs, do they sometimes allow students to transfer to a different program?

Members don't see this ad.

Uh, Im still not 100% sure I want to do podiatry. I know I want to be a doctor, and based on my current stats and GPA, im border line DO acceptance, and Im pretty stable for podiatry.

If I pick a school like Western, Des Moines, that has both programs, do they sometimes allow students to transfer to a different program?

Question was asked in a previous thread.
If you are accepted and finish x amount, credits will not transfer at certain schools.
Contact schools directly for a better answer.

Question was asked in a previous thread.
If you are accepted and finish x amount, credits will not transfer at certain schools.
Contact schools directly for a better answer.
Ah I saw that one, I think what I was trying to get at is, (btw I dont mind repeating the courses), but if I decide I wanted a DO degree, could I switch programs easily than going through the entire application process and judgement.

Members don't see this ad :)
[…] If I pick a school like Western, Des Moines, that has both programs, do they sometimes allow students to transfer to a different program?
They don't allow a straight transfer because it would require COCA to accept your work while under podiatric accreditation. This has been attempted by a few of MWU students in the past and they were all required to start at first year with no advanced standing or transferred credits. They also had to complete the whole application/interview process.

Reactions: 1 users
I know I want to be a doctor, and based on my current stats and GPA, im border line DO acceptance, and Im pretty stable for podiatry.

Apply to both. If you get into both, go D.O.

Reactions: 1 user
They don't allow a straight transfer because it would require COCA to accept your work while under podiatric accreditation. This has been attempted by a few of MWU students in the past and they were all required to start at first year with no advanced standing or transferred credits. They also had to complete the whole application/interview process.

I was just surprised that I got interviews from pretty much every DPM school and literally 0 from all of the DO Schools.

Unfortunately podiatry school credits, correct me if I'm wrong, are untransferable. Once you've chosen podiatry, there are no lateral moves, and there it is, you're a DPM. Many podiatrists rotated through our facilities over the years, and remain the 'mystery' field which is puzzling. The hallmark of podiatrists is that they cannot say: "I don't know." In the current milieu physician extenders have the gumption to ask questions, and accept that podiatry is not medicine, wound care has become the domain of NPs and PAs, and surgery … If you want to be a surgeon graduate medical school and do a recognized residency. Certainly podiatry people will pluck apart this post with name-calling, trolling, and whatnot, but take heed - this is a field with tremendous limitations. No, podiatrists cannot transfer to a DO school, nor will their 'credits' be recognized within the realm of the status quo. If I am a troll, who provides honest, information? Is it the podiatry schools that want you to remain enrolled, the various podiatry clubs, or some elder podiatrists retiring trying to sell their practice?

Unfortunately podiatry school credits, correct me if I'm wrong, are untransferable. Once you've chosen podiatry, there are no lateral moves, and there it is, you're a DPM. Many podiatrists rotated through our facilities over the years, and remain the 'mystery' field which is puzzling. The hallmark of podiatrists is that they cannot say: "I don't know." In the current milieu physician extenders have the gumption to ask questions, and accept that podiatry is not medicine, wound care has become the domain of NPs and PAs, and surgery … If you want to be a surgeon graduate medical school and do a recognized residency. Certainly podiatry people will pluck apart this post with name-calling, trolling, and whatnot, but take heed - this is a field with tremendous limitations. No, podiatrists cannot transfer to a DO school, nor will their 'credits' be recognized within the realm of the status quo. If I am a troll, who provides honest, information? Is it the podiatry schools that want you to remain enrolled, the various podiatry clubs, or some elder podiatrists retiring trying to sell their practice?

Podiatry isn't for everybody, I guess. So long as there will be jobs for pods and "decent" pay, then I'm fine.

And not real medicine? Lol... well, whatever helps you sleep at night.

I was just surprised that I got interviews from pretty much every DPM school and literally 0 from all of the DO Schools.

Did you have any repeated courses for D.O.?

And don't be surprised, Voli. We actually had a thread here a few weeks ago where we admitted pod is a bit on the lower end when it comes to entrance stats. Some forumers brought up the D.O. schools having grade replacement policy which swings in their favor too.

I think you should just go D.O. pod is not for everybody lol

Did you have any repeated courses for D.O.?

And don't be surprised, Voli. We actually had a thread here a few weeks ago where we admitted pod is a bit on the lower end when it comes to entrance stats. Some forumers brought up the D.O. schools having grade replacement policy which swings in their favor too.

I think you should just go D.O. pod is not for everybody lol

I think I have 1 repeated course, Im honestly banking on my next MCAT, I never gave it a fair shot. And to be honest I went from a super star in college to a lazy bum when I started dating my ex.
Ive known I want to be a doctor for about 8 years now, pretty solid on that especially after some internships and stuff outside the medical field.
I am pretty interested in holistic patient health care, and that is one thing that bothers me about podiatry, the few I shadowed, it was a relaxed job if you are more of a family man, but to be honest, for most of my life I was a workaholic, and working keeps me happy, more happy than any one or anything else.
I am sort of interested in something like emergency medicine, or a specialized form of internal medicine. I could live with podiatry but the few I shadowed, it was just a lot of orthotics, nail trimming. I am still thinking everything through.

I think I have 1 repeated course, Im honestly banking on my next MCAT, I never gave it a fair shot. And to be honest I went from a super star in college to a lazy bum when I started dating my ex.
Ive known I want to be a doctor for about 8 years now, pretty solid on that especially after some internships and stuff outside the medical field.
I am pretty interested in holistic patient health care, and that is one thing that bothers me about podiatry, the few I shadowed, it was a relaxed job if you are more of a family man, but to be honest, for most of my life I was a workaholic, and working keeps me happy, more happy than any one or anything else.
I am sort of interested in something like emergency medicine, or a specialized form of internal medicine. I could live with podiatry but the few I shadowed, it was just a lot of orthotics, nail trimming. I am still thinking everything through.

Fam, you would be doing yourself a huge disservice by not going D.O. or M.D.
I'm a pre-pod and I'm telling you this.

This isn't a pro ball team where you might take a paycut so the franchise can bring in some players. Why take a cut on your dreams?

Podiatry really isn't for everyone. If you read your posts, thread title, and pay attention to some key statements, I think it's clear where your heart is really at.

And lol @ crazy ex. It happens to everyone...

Please just go D.O./M.D.

Agree with dr.phoot.

We're not saying podiatry is a "lower" or "less noble" profession.

We're simply straightforward and open minded enough to encourage people to pursue MD/DO if they have the stats and the desire for it.

While some will **** on podiatry and other professions simply because its not MD/DO, that's not the case in the pod forum at all. A lot of these peeps know what they're getting into and know the difficulties they'll face whether it be financial payoff, scope of practice, or stigma.

I only disagree with one aspect Dr. Croak.
I believe podiatry is indeed medicine.
Limited, but still medicine.

I only disagree with one aspect Dr. Croak.
I believe podiatry is indeed medicine.
Limited, but still medicine.

Podiatry is medicine, a doctor that operates on the foot, considers the musculature, dermatology, neurology, etc of the foot is what else but a doctor? Its limited but guess what so are people who eventually decide they want to do hand surgery, or ophthalmology.

unfortunately the degree itself limits you but the treatment is in fact medicine.

Well, what were your cumulative/science GPA and MCAT scores when you applied?

If you are walking on the side of 3.0-3.2 and 490-495, you aint getting into a DO school. You could still get into a pod school, but might have a hard time making it through. pod school is just as rigorous as MD/DO.

As someone who scored embarrassingly low on the MCAT, I can tell you that podiatry is something Ive been looking into. Luckily, I have family who are pods and am able to see a lot of the profession, pros and cons. I have to say, if you can stand feet (pun intended), there is a lot to like about being a podiatrist. Yes, you will never be a world renown brain surgeon and wow all of your family members at big weddings (which you prolly would not have been at a DO school anyway), but the pay isn't bad (at least for now), the debt is a lot but not unreasonable like some DO or Dental schools, and podiatrists can offer real relief to people in pain. Plus, if you ever had a dream of being a surgeon while looking good in scrubs during operation, this is a good avenue.

And not a lot of patients die when they want a bunion removed, so thats a plus.

Well, what were your cumulative/science GPA and MCAT scores when you applied?

If you are walking on the side of 3.0-3.2 and 490-495, you aint getting into a DO school. You could still get into a pod school, but might have a hard time making it through. pod school is just as rigorous as MD/DO.

As someone who scored embarrassingly low on the MCAT, I can tell you that podiatry is something Ive been looking into. Luckily, I have family who are pods and am able to see a lot of the profession, pros and cons. I have to say, if you can stand feet (pun intended), there is a lot to like about being a podiatrist. Yes, you will never be a world renown brain surgeon and wow all of your family members at big weddings (which you prolly would not have been at a DO school anyway), but the pay isn't bad (at least for now), the debt is a lot but not unreasonable like some DO or Dental schools, and podiatrists can offer real relief to people in pain. Plus, if you ever had a dream of being a surgeon while looking good in scrubs during operation, this is a good avenue.

And not a lot of patients die when they want a bunion removed, so thats a plus.

So far Ive toured/interviewed at three programs. Im pretty happy with podiatry at this point. Just comes down to the school I chose

Reactions: 4 users
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) has established a program leading to the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) degree for doctors of podiatric medicine (D.P.M.) who are graduates of U.S. accredited colleges of podiatric medicine. Interested D.P.M. graduates must provide evidence of being accepted by or enrolled in the Council on Podiatric Medical Education. The D.O. program for D.P.M. graduates provide the opportunity for a limited number of D.P.M.s each year to complete the requirements of the D.O. degree in a three- year period. NSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine will determine on a yearly basis the number of D.P.M.s that may be accepted and enrolled.

After completing the requirements for the D.O. degree and a one-year osteopathic medical internship, the educational requirements will have been met for eligibility to obtain a license to practice osteopathic medicine in states requiring one year of graduate medical education. The program is designed for doctors of podiatric medicine who wish to obtain full medical licenses (i.e., osteopathic medicine) to provide added value to podiatric practice.

http://osteopathic.nova.edu/dodpm/

-----------------
thought it was relevant, so just sharing.....

Reactions: 1 user
Nova Southeastern University (NSU) has established a program leading to the Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O.) degree for doctors of podiatric medicine (D.P.M.) who are graduates of U.S. accredited colleges of podiatric medicine. Interested D.P.M. graduates must provide evidence of being accepted by or enrolled in the Council on Podiatric Medical Education. The D.O. program for D.P.M. graduates provide the opportunity for a limited number of D.P.M.s each year to complete the requirements of the D.O. degree in a three- year period. NSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine will determine on a yearly basis the number of D.P.M.s that may be accepted and enrolled.

After completing the requirements for the D.O. degree and a one-year osteopathic medical internship, the educational requirements will have been met for eligibility to obtain a license to practice osteopathic medicine in states requiring one year of graduate medical education. The program is designed for doctors of podiatric medicine who wish to obtain full medical licenses (i.e., osteopathic medicine) to provide added value to podiatric practice.

http://osteopathic.nova.edu/dodpm/

-----------------
thought it was relevant, so just sharing.....

Very useful. I appreciate this, thank you!
Im pretty keen on sticking with podiatry for now though .