Can Ted Cruz really make 10% flat tax for everyone work, without destroying the Economy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seriously?
His net worth is about 300k. His wife's business earned less than 5k last year. He owns a cheap rental property (he earns between 5-15k annually on it) in Vermont and and a house in DC with a 30 year mortgage of under 100k. He owes tens of thousands in credit card debt. 100% of the royalties from his book go to charity.

How is he a fraud?

He owns 2 properties and recently sold a condo.
His net worth is in the couple million range. It's his own fault if he 1. Couldn't get a real job until he was 40 and 2. He doesn't know how to properly pay off his debt. Do you really want someone who can't manage his own debt to be able to manage the nation's debt and economy? In the words of Chris Berman (ESPN) "Get outta here!"

Members don't see this ad.

He's the only decent human being running.

Though I wonder why the book royalties aren't paying off his credit cards first. Sure is nice to donate it, but that's pretty weird. From the way he lives and what he wants to do, he seems pretty comfortable with debt.

Most decent hack running.
If you can't manage your finances, you have no business attempting to further torch the nation's finances.

He owns 2 properties and recently sold a condo.
His net worth is in the couple million range. It's his own fault if he 1. Couldn't get a real job until he was 40 and 2. He doesn't know how to properly pay off his debt. Do you really want someone who can't manage his own debt to be able to manage the nation's debt and economy? In the words of Chris Berman (ESPN) "Get outta here!"
A couple mil? That's news to me/everyone. His net worth isn't even a million.

Who said he can't manage his own debt? Did he declare bankruptcy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most decent hack running.
If you can't manage your finances, you have no business attempting to further torch the nation's finances.
Even right wing conservatives say he's honest and principled, although they completely disagree with him. I'm not sure what you're basing your conclusion on. Either way, you're entitled to your opinion.

If you have several hundred dollars in CC debt at age 70+, does this infer that he has managed his finances well? If so, that's news to me.

Reactions: 1 user

I made a mistake in his net worth. It's 300K, I misread it - the average senator's net work is a couple mill.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/top-5-earners-bernie-sanders-pays-taxes-average-citizen/

All else stands true though, with his debt amount, he has no leg to stand on when it comes to potentially handling this country's debt.

Sanders didn't have a business to employ anyone with nonetheless file for bankruptcy as a legal means to preserve net worth. Not saying it's a moral thing to do, but it is legal.

I guarantee you that Sanders' trustworthiness scale has dropped at least some (perhaps not to the Bern supporters) after his release of 2014 tax report.

Sanders didn't have a business to employ anyone with nonetheless file for bankruptcy as a legal means to preserve net worth. Not saying it's a moral thing to do, but it is legal.

I guarantee you that Sanders' trustworthiness scale has dropped at least some (perhaps not to the Bern supporters) after his release of 2014 tax report.
You're reading too much into this.

Here's my take. Nothing to do with honesty or trustworthiness. Sanders doesn't have a bunch of credit card debt because he's a ***** who can't do math. He has a bunch of credit card debt because he thinks debt doesn't matter.

That's plenty of reason to argue he's a bad candidate, but let's not pretend he's untrustworthy. I totally believe he's try to do everything he says he'll try to do.

You're reading too much into this.

Here's my take. Nothing to do with honesty or trustworthiness. Sanders doesn't have a bunch of credit card debt because he's a ***** who can't do math. He has a bunch of credit card debt because he thinks debt doesn't matter.

That's plenty of reason to argue he's a bad candidate, but let's not pretend he's untrustworthy. I totally believe he's try to do everything he says he'll try to do.

Your words, not mine - if debt doesn't matter, then why bother trying to pay off our national debt. Let's keep driving it up. Does it really matter who we elect then?

Everyone bought into Obama's "Change" campaign and thought he was the savior, the real deal. Yeah, that worked out well. People have gotten real good at lying and deception. I'd like to believe he's the real deal, but something about human nature leads me to think he's pretty similar. Sure, he's not bought for and he's said the same stuff over and over again, but while I don't have the time to look up stuff - there have been moments in his career where he has done stuff that would be considered the opposite of what one would expect. One being the nuclear waste products being shipped from VT to west TX and he couldn't even be bothered to address it because he was running for an elected position. My point is that, as a relative unknown, we don't really know what he is about outside of what the liberal media posts, what he and his celebrity buddies say, etc. Better to know the Devil than to know one in sheep's clothing?

Yes, there is always a spectrum of honesty and dishonesty. I get that. My vote is still up in the air. I won't be voting for Hillary. If Trump continues to work on cleaning up his act as he has been recently, he might get my vote. If not, well it's really only gonna come down to Hillary or Trump (or if a brokered convention has Kasich or Cruz in, then I'd probably not vote for Cruz but could maybe consider Kasich). Given the way delegates in each state are distributed for the Democrats, Bernie will need a Hail Mary from one of the hippy liberal states and it doesn't appear that NY will be that state for him. Maybe California, but that's a long shot, too.

If he didn't care about debt he wouldn't be endorsing major increases in tax revenue and rolling back benefits for corporations and the wealthy.

And if you might vote for Trump, I don't think you'll convince anyone that "honesty" is a big concern of yours.

If he didn't care about debt he wouldn't be endorsing major increases in tax revenue and rolling back benefits for corporations and the wealthy.

I'd believe he cares about debt if he wasn't so enthusiastic about spending every bit of those tax increases on new entitlements. All that free stuff costs money.

But even if Sanders got elected, he's getting nothing done with a Republican Senate/House. Except a SCOTUS appointee or two and a bunch of federal judges.

Gridlock
2016!

I'd believe he cares about debt if he wasn't so enthusiastic about spending every bit of those tax increases on new entitlements. All that free stuff costs money.

But even if Sanders got elected, he's getting nothing done with a Republican Senate/House. Except a SCOTUS appointee or two and a bunch of federal judges.

Gridlock
2016!

It'd be worth electing Bernie just to avoid having to see Hillary on TV all the time.

At least he actually wants to help the unfortunate. Sure people abuse the system and it's costly etc. but at least Bernie seems to fundamentally a good person which I'm not so sure Trump, Clinton, or Cruz are. Kasich might also be basically good. Nobody's perfect but Bernie seems to care about helping people not just pursuing power and selling influence (and ringing it up as a speaking fee).

Last edited by a moderator:
It'd be worth electing Bernie just to avoid having to see Hillary on TV all the time.

At least he actually wants to help the unfortunate. Sure people abuse the system and it's costly etc. but at least Bernie seems to fundamentally a good person which I'm not so sure Trump, Clinton, or Cruz are. Kasich might also be basically good. Nobody's perfect but Bernie seems to care about helping people not just pursuing power and selling influence (and ringing it up as a speaking fee).

Oh so good intentions should be the #1 criteria for choosing a president?

How about actually accomplishing things. Having a plan and getting meaningful well-thought out bipartisan policy through congress. It takes someone with some tenacity, not a wet blanket Bernie.

In terms of meaningful charity work, to your point "helping people," the Clinton foundation has accomplished more than Bernie ever has or could...

Members don't see this ad :)

And if you might vote for Trump, I don't think you'll convince anyone that "honesty" is a big concern of yours.

Well nobody is honest, only Sanders camp claims he's honest. Nobody else is claiming honesty.

What's that saying about all good intentions again??

Oh so good intentions should be the #1 criteria for choosing a president?

How about actually accomplishing things. Having a plan and getting meaningful well-thought out bipartisan policy through congress. It takes someone with some tenacity, not a wet blanket Bernie.

In terms of meaningful charity work, to your point "helping people," the Clinton foundation has accomplished more than Bernie ever has or could...

http://m.townhall.com/tipsheet/guyb...t-about-clinton-foundation-donations-n2141514

http://m.townhall.com/tipsheet/guyb...so-lobbied-hillarys-state-department-n1991551

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it goes something like, "I'd rather have someone try to do good and fail than try to do wrong and succeed."

Ha!

No. It goes like this:

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

This holds more truth than your line does.

Look at how the amount of $$ Trump has burned in his campaigning vs the others. He's ran the most cost-effective campaign anyone has ever done. This has nothing to do with him being Trump as much as he knows how to work the system of media and publication. Clinton is just as well known and has burned more money.

Do I agree with all of Trump's past messages? Not truly. However, he has some valid points and Bernie has echoed similar sentiments on domestic and foreign affairs, economy (outside of the Wall and anti-refugee rhetoric). But, his style of campaigning has changed in the past few weeks. He realistically has a shot at winning. Bernie is DONE. This is going to come down to Hillary vs. Trump (or possibly Kasich in a contested convention... Cruz is not wanted, he's just being propped up as the anti-Trump candidate, but Kasich's message is getting somewhat more attention). If I have to choose between Hillary and Trump, I'll go Trump. Hillary is a lot more corrupt and in line with the "big Wallstreet folks."

Trump is viewed favorably by somewhere around 15-20% of Americans. It will be among the most landslide elections in history if it comes down to Trump/Hillary.

His campaign strategy is singular- deflect from the issues. Whether it's by starting a controversy with hate speech, or complaining about the process, he will stop at nothing to avoid talking about anything of importance. He's had a year to get educated but still is completely ignorant about real issues. This is why I'm always skeptical when I hear someone describe him as "brilliant." I don't know if he's dumb, but he ain't brilliant.

He can hide behind sh1t talk for now, but when it comes to a one on one competition with someone who knows the details inside out, his idiocy on important policies will be pretty obvious.

Trump is viewed favorably by somewhere around 15-20% of Americans. It will be among the most landslide elections in history if it comes down to Trump/Hillary.

Crooked Hillary is going to be absolutely destroyed.

Crooked Hillary is going to be absolutely destroyed.
People don't approve of Hillary, but they don't like the Donald even more. It will come down to the lesser of two evils. How sad is that?

People don't approve of Hillary, but they don't like the Donald even more. It will come down to the lesser of two evils. How sad is that?
Our only hope is Hillary's indictment killing her campaign.

Hillary can only go down in favorability, Trump can only go up.

Trump needs only a few percentage points improvement, and he has victory over crooked Hillary.

How can Hillary improve? She has the email scandal, Benghazi, Whitewater, the Iran deal, the Clinton foundation corruption, her gloating over her defense of a child rapist, her complicity in Bill's rapes of multiple women, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

Hillary hasn't got a chance.

Hillary can only go down in favorability, Trump can only go up.

Trump needs only a few percentage points improvement, and he has victory over crooked Hillary.

How can Hillary improve? She has the email scandal, Benghazi, Whitewater, the Iran deal, the Clinton foundation corruption, her gloating over her defense of a child rapist, her complicity in Bill's rapes of multiple women, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

Hillary hasn't got a chance.

Sanders is done. Clinton will have the nomination locked up in the next 4-6 weeks. Cruz isn't looking good either as Trump will get to about 1150-1200 delegates prior to the convention. I believe he gets the nomination.

Clinton vs Trump. Clinton will win by a landslide. It won't be close. After the election the Senate will Confirm judge Garland quickly. I'm a staunch GOP voter but I'm just as afraid of Trump as I am Clinton. I understand Clinton. It's all about money, power and political favors. She plays the game well. Trump is a wild card who may do great harm to this nation. I sure hope that I'm wrong but I don't believe in rolling the dice when it comes to the POTUS.

Reactions: 2 users
Sanders is done. Clinton will have the nomination locked up in the next 4-6 weeks. Cruz isn't looking good either as Trump will get to about 1150-1200 delegates prior to the convention. I believe he gets the nomination.

Clinton vs Trump. Clinton will win by a landslide. It won't be close. After the election the Senate will Confirm judge Garland quickly. I'm a staunch GOP voter but I'm just as afraid of Trump as I am Clinton. I understand Clinton. It's all about money, power and political favors. She plays the game well. Trump is a wild card who may do great harm to this nation. I sure hope that I'm wrong but I don't believe in rolling the dice when it comes to the POTUS.

Trump will pivot once he has the nomination secured.

I'm part of the 1/3 of the GOP who dislikes trump vehemently. Many of us won't vote for him. He is a Democrat more than a Republican.

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/donald-trumps-kids-donate-to-democrats/

Trump is in the process of reconfiguring the political axis and republican platform.

Trump is ambivalent regarding a lot of social issues, including abortion, LGBTQIA+ rights, etc. For those who do not want the GOP to be the Christian party, then Trump is your man. Even if you're a Christian, and you understand the proper role of the federal government, then Trump is your man.

Trump's platform is simple: stop illegal immigration. Protect American jobs. Keep tax rates low. Repeal obamacare. Reform the VA. Reform our bad trade deals. Protect the 2nd amendment.

It's hard to be against this simple platform from a republican standpoint.

If he can accomplish the above during his presidency, then I will gladly support him.

Honestly, if he can bring more jobs to the US and inject grade AAA colombian cocaine into the veins of the american economy, then we will all be richer.

BTW, if you think the PC authoritarians and race hustlers are annoying, think about what the rest of the country thinks about these people.

Trump is in the process of reconfiguring the political axis and republican platform.

Trump is ambivalent regarding a lot of social issues, including abortion, LGBTQIA+ rights, etc. For those who do not want the GOP to be the Christian party, then Trump is your man. Even if you're a Christian, and you understand the proper role of the federal government, then Trump is your man.

Trump's platform is simple: stop illegal immigration. Protect American jobs. Keep tax rates low. Repeal obamacare. Reform the VA. Reform our bad trade deals. Protect the 2nd amendment.

It's hard to be against this simple platform from a republican standpoint.

If he can accomplish the above during his presidency, then I will gladly support him.

Honestly, if he can bring more jobs to the US and inject grade AAA colombian cocaine into the veins of the american economy, then we will all be richer.

BTW, if you think the PC authoritarians and race hustlers are annoying, think about what the rest of the country thinks about these people.
You forgot:
Collect and deport 11 million people
Religious litmus test for immigration
Bring back torture
More global nukes
Prison for women getting abortions
"Bomb the hell" out of largely civilian areas
Kill women and children relatives of our enemies

Those are just SOME of his stupid policy suggestions, not to mention his misogynism and race baiting. And all this about picking "the most brilliant people?" Look at the fools he's had running his campaign.

Get him fired up in a one on one fight with a woman who's better prepared and experienced and there's NO TELLING what astonishingly offensive, hateful filth will come out of his mouth.
I'm looking forward to it.

Reactions: 2 users
You forgot:
Bring back torture
More global nukes

Those are just SOME of his stupid policy suggestions, not to mention his misogynism and race baiting. And all this about picking "the most brilliant people?" Look at the fools he's had running his campaign.

Get him fired up in a one on one fight with a woman who's better prepared and experienced and there's NO TELLING what astonishingly offensive, hateful filth will come out of his mouth.

I'm with blade - I do not like Hillary but no way in hell I'm voting for Trump. I'd rather my paycheck be wasted in useless policies than possibly have my children die in world war 3 he started by mistake.

Why cant the repubs produce someone who is fiscally conservative but socially moderate (and not crazy)?

I'd vote for Kasich but no way he's getting the nomination.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You forgot:
Bring back torture
More global nukes

Just FYI, he said a temporary ban of people from Muslim nations until national security measures are improved. In regards to prisons for abortions, all he said was that IF abortion was somehow made illegal, then he would enforce the law as it is the job of the president. You and I both know that all he was doing was appealing to the far right vote to help get the nomination. I'm not a trump fan at all, but I hate how the liberal media constantly twists his words.

I'd vote for Kasich but no way he's getting the nomination.

This has gotta be so depressing for the non-crazy wing of the GOP. Kasich fits the bill of socially liberal, fiscally conservative, and he's proved he can work with both sides of the aisle. He would've also scooped a ton of independents and probably some blue dog dems in the general, too. And if I recall correctly, he was also the only one crushing Hillary in 1 on 1 polls.

This has gotta be so depressing for the non-crazy wing of the GOP. Kasich fits the bill of socially liberal, fiscally conservative, and he's proved he can work with both sides of the aisle. He would've also scooped a ton of independents and probably some blue dog dems in the general, too. And if I recall correctly, he was also the only one crushing Hillary in 1 on 1 polls.
Maybe there's something in the works to make him the nomination (at least in my fantasyland because both trump and Cruz are terrible). Right now we all know that Trump will NEVER win against Hillary. The only leg Cruz really has to stand on is that he's the anti-trump candidate. If this comes to a convention, it'll be a bloodbath between trump and Cruz, thus hurting both their reputations. Then Kasich can rise from the Ashes and republicans will win the presidency! A man can dream right?

Just FYI, he said a temporary ban of people from Muslim nations until national security measures are improved. In regards to prisons for abortions, all he said was that IF abortion was somehow made illegal, then he would enforce the law as it is the job of the president. You and I both know that all he was doing was appealing to the far right vote to help get the nomination. I'm not a trump fan at all, but I hate how the liberal media constantly twists his words.

Is it true when he says "we have no idea who they hell they are or where they come from" when referring to Syrian/Muslim immigrants? In fact we know those things and much more. What proof do you need? There are literally millions, if not TENS of millions of extremists who would like to inflict mass casualties in America. Since 9/11, how many Americans have been killed by terrorists via poor immigration background checks? What's your chance of getting killed in America by a foreign born terrorist vs another American? Im not saying we don't need very good measures at preventing it, I'm saying we ARE good at it.

He was asked if women should be punished for having abortions. He said yes. This is NOT a law. PERFORMING abortions is against the law. He meant fines or prison, and I doubt he's willing to say "this is what we should charge for killing a fetus."

He does NOT need the "liberal media" to put stupid words in his mouth. He does just fine himself.

Last edited:
Maybe there's something in the works to make him the nomination (at least in my fantasyland because both trump and Cruz are terrible). Right now we all know that Trump will NEVER win against Hillary. The only leg Cruz really has to stand on is that he's the anti-trump candidate. If this comes to a convention, it'll be a bloodbath between trump and Cruz, thus hurting both their reputations. Then Kasich can rise from the Ashes and republicans will win the presidency! A man can dream right?

Kasich is by far the most reasonable, although maybe not as socially liberal as you might think. But despite what he says, the party has spoken/is speaking and he's in 4th place in a 3 man race.

blog_welfare_spending.jpg

Is it true when he says "we have no idea who they hell they are or where they come from" when referring to Syrian/Muslim immigrants? In fact we know those things and much more. Why proof do you need? There are literally millions, if not TENS of millions of extremists who would like to inflict mass casualties in Americans. Since 9/11, how many Americans have been killed by terrorists via poor immigration background checks? What's your chance of getting killed in America by a foreign born terrorist vs another American? Im not saying we don't need very good measures at preventing it, I'm saying we ARE good at it.

He was asked if women should be punished for having abortions. He said yes. This is NOT a law. PERFORMING abortions is against the law. He meant fines or prison, and I doubt he's willing to say "this is what we should charge for killing a fetus."

He does NOT need the "liberal media" to put stupid words in his mouth. He does just fine himself.

He said women should be punished for having abortions if having an abortion is illegal. It's not. It was a hypothetical situation.

I'm not for abortion or against it, and personally it doesn't concern me enough. I say if she wants to have an abortion, so be it. As long as she is properly educated about it and all the alternatives. However, if something is considered illegal, and you do it anyways, you're saying that wouldn't warrant some sort of punishment?

Roe v Wade isn't going to be reversed and Trump isn't the guy to try to have it reversed. Cruz, yes, I can see him going for a reversal. Even Kasich.

He said women should be punished for having abortions if having an abortion is illegal. It's not. It was a hypothetical situation.

I'm not for abortion or against it, and personally it doesn't concern me enough. I say if she wants to have an abortion, so be it. As long as she is properly educated about it and all the alternatives. However, if something is considered illegal, and you do it anyways, you're saying that wouldn't warrant some sort of punishment?

Roe v Wade isn't going to be reversed and Trump isn't the guy to try to have it reversed. Cruz, yes, I can see him going for a reversal. Even Kasich.
It is illegal in many circumstances. The laws are variable but almost all of them target the PERFORMING of the abortion, not the patient. Even when laws have existed making it illegal to GET an abortion, they've very rarely been prosecuted. There are lots of reasons for this. It's a traumatic experience that can be very costly both literally and figuratively, and was dangerous when done illegally. I think people don't like the idea of further punishment for these women.

Otherwise I agree with you. Trump is just saying what he thinks his base wants to hear, but it's another example of how poorly thought through his ideas are. But he definitely won't be the one to overturn R v W, despite what he says.