Can the pharmacy contact your physician for more refills?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J. Peterman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dropped by Walgreens this evening to pick up a prescription, only to find out that there were 0 refills left. I am almost certain that the last time I ran out of refills on this prescription, the pharmacy offered to call it in to the physician for approval of more refills, (this is a minor derm. medication with no side effects, etc) and the prescription was renewed for another year. When I asked the Walgreens lady if they could call it in she refused and said that I would have to be the one to call and "there's nothing I can do." It's not a huge deal, but I was just curious: are pharmacists allowed to call in for more refills per a customer's request or is that a no no?

Members don't see this ad.

They most certainly can contact the physician. Walgreens system is setup such that usually when someone tries to refill a prescription that is out of refills the physician is automatically contacted via fax.

That being said, I really wish patients would take more responsibility for their own prescriptions.

Reactions: 1 user
I work at a CVS (in NV) and the main reason why we wouldn't be able to call the doctor and request for refills is if it's a C2. Most of the time its done through the computer now-- we would just sent an electronic fax to the doctors office. If for some reason there is no fax number, then we'll just call in the request (and try to get a fax number!). The only other situation I can think of is if they previously contacted the doctor and they denied the refill, but then she wasn't explaining the situation very well to you. Also, sometimes if the patient is transferring the prescription in, but there are no refills, then we will tell them they would have to contact their doctor for more. But then you didn't mention you were transferring it in.

Hmm, I can't really think of any other reasons. I also now am really curious as to why she couldn't call the doctor for you. Perhaps you can call them back and hope you get to speak with someone different; maybe the first person you spoke with was new and wasn't understanding what you were asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Working at Walgreens, I can answer this as well as give you the other side. Yes, technically, our system is able to fax your doctor for a refill authorization and in most cases this is done. Not saying what that pharmacist did was right, but after hearing people all day demand that we call their docs for new scripts which is not our responsibility and then get yelled at because the doc didn't authorize a refill yet on a script that was just faxed an hour prior. Really, it's not the responsibility of the pharmacist to call your doctor to get refills for you since it is your medication, but it is a courtesy that is offered for customer service sakes. Not saying that you are like this but in general most people do not take responsibility for their own health and this gets truly annoying. That is why that pharmacist said that I assume.

Reactions: 1 users
That being said, I really wish patients would take more responsibility for their own prescriptions.

Oh, I do agree with you on that one. But I understand that sometimes (especially when taking a lot of medications like many of the elderly do), it can be difficult to keep track of how many refills you have left. However, I do get upset when patients think it is my responsibility to keep track of their refills for them, and if they do happen to run out they are entitled to a few until we hear from the doctor. Of course I understand that if you run out of your heart medication need a few tablets to tie you over, that won't be a problem. But to shove an empty bottle in my face and say, I need a few of these until the doctor gets back with you-- I'm sorry, but that's no way to go about fixing the problem. A little courtesy can go a long way.

From my pharmacy working experience, most retail pharmacy have a service where they contact physcians for refills. Most systems now have it where if you have 0 refills, they automatically fax the dr. via electronically and this process usually runs smoothly. Unless, the downside to the picture~ you run into a PITA (pain in the a**) pharmacy tech where they refuse to help, OR the medication that you are on requires monitoring (dr. needs to see u) before he overrides any refills. :rolleyes:

I dropped by Walgreens this evening to pick up a prescription, only to find out that there were 0 refills left. I am almost certain that the last time I ran out of refills on this prescription, the pharmacy offered to call it in to the physician for approval of more refills, (this is a minor derm. medication with no side effects, etc) and the prescription was renewed for another year. When I asked the Walgreens lady if they could call it in she refused and said that I would have to be the one to call and "there's nothing I can do." It's not a huge deal, but I was just curious: are pharmacists allowed to call in for more refills per a customer's request or is that a no no?

though she said "there's nothing I can do," you also have to take into consideration that often times, MDs okay X # of refills on ONE fax the pharmacy sends in that will probably last hte patient anywhere from 3-12 months and usually wants to see the pt again before OKaying another batch of refills, ok? that is to say, even though you don't have any side effects NOW persay, some drugs take time for symptoms to develop (for instance, tardive dyskinesias with parkinson medication) and hence, doctors don't want to be "bypassed" constantly and keep okaying refills (that and if they keep doing that, they wont have you keep bringing in the dough to their office :) )

so yah, even though the RPh wasn't super cool, i think she responded to your request with that thought in mind (after noticing that your profile showed the pharmacy had gotten the MD to okay some refills via fax once before)

Also, perhaps your MD okayed your last batch of refills with "must see pt once refills are over" on the fax (which is certainly something that only pharmacy personnel see but not patients) but instead she just relayed the info to you as "there's nothing I can do" rather than explain what you MD said

Oh ..... don't forget - if your rx is greater than one year old - we are the folks who end up telling you that you need to make an appt to see the MD, 'cause they want to keep you on follow-up.

Your pharmacist may have known this & just told you that you'll need to make the call. Why wait for 4 days just to be given that info????

But - you didn't tell us when the last time you saw your MD. It may be just "routine" to you, but your physician may have a different take on it...

some doctors do not accept refill requests from pharmacies but require patients to contact their doctors for more refills. Your doctor might have adopted this policy over the last year.

The tech handled your situation poorly. If the doctor wanted you to make an appt. before more refills would be given, the tech should have let you know that. The same is true if the doc didn't accept pharmacy refill requests. There is no reason to not be open with patients in appropriate situations. (Unless the profile says "watch for forged scripts' or "pt is rude to staff") I would have happily contacted the doc and told you to call us in 1-2 business days to check if the rx is ready. This way patients cannot complain that they came "all the way down here for the 11th time and gas is $20 a gallon," when all they had to do is call.

I would have happily contacted the doc and told you to call us in 1-2 business days to check if the rx is ready. This way patients cannot complain that they came "all the way down here for the 11th time and gas is $20 a gallon," when all they had to do is call.

Yes, I also tell them to call us to see if it's ready. I also tell them to call their doctor's office as well. So many patients think that just because we fax or call their doctor, it means they automatically get the refill. There are so many things that can happen between the fax and authoriztion that for the patient to rely on just our request is to me just irresponsible. And its ok to rely on it if you realize that your refill may not be waiting there for you when you come to pick it up. But you dont' know how many times I've heard in an accusatory tone "well now its the weekend, so I have to wait until Monday??" I even had patients tell me how difficult it is to get a hold of the doctor. Well, you got the prescription didn't you. Now its your responsibility to get the refills. Not ours.

As a disabled schizophrenic i totally disagree with all this.. so you're all basically saying its a disabled persons job to keep up on their meds all cause you all dont want to do any work??? There shouldn't be no price on proper healthcare.

As a disabled schizophrenic i totally disagree with all this.. so you're all basically saying its a disabled persons job to keep up on their meds all cause you all dont want to do any work??? There shouldn't be no price on proper healthcare.
#1 There is a price on all healthcare.
#2 I don't think anyone in the above discussion from 9 years ago is still reading this forum.
#3 It is your job to keep up on your meds unless you come to an agreement with someone else to manage them for you. A pharmacist can do this, but you need to explain your special needs and keep them much more involved in your care. Your pharmacist is not present during your office visits and cannot typically speak to your providers directly. You are, and you can.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the Human Right to Health and Health Care?
The human right to health means that everyone has the right to the highest attainable standard of physical and mental health, which includes access to all medical services, sanitation, adequate food, decent housing, healthy working conditions, and a clean environment.

• The human right to health guarantees a system of health protection for all.
  • Everyone has the right to the health care they need, and to living conditions that enable us to be healthy, such as adequate food, housing, and a healthy environment.
  • Health care must be provided as a public good for all, financed publicly and equitably.
The human right to health care means that hospitals, clinics, medicines, and doctors’ services must be accessible, available, acceptable, and of good quality for everyone, on an equitable basis, where and when needed. The design of a health care system must be guided by the following key human rights standards:

Universal Access: Access to health care must be universal, guaranteed for all on an equitable basis. Health care must be affordable and comprehensive for everyone, and physically accessible where and when needed.

Availability: Adequate health care infrastructure (e.g. hospitals, community health facilities, trained health care professionals), goods (e.g. drugs, equipment), and services (e.g. primary care, mental health) must be available in all geographical areas and to all communities.

Acceptability and Dignity: Health care institutions and providers must respect dignity, provide culturally appropriate care, be responsive to needs based on gender, age, culture, language, and different ways of life and abilities. They must respect medical ethics and protect confidentiality.

Quality: All health care must be medically appropriate and of good quality, guided by quality standards and control mechanisms, and provided in a timely, safe, and patient-centered manner.

The human right to health also entails the following procedural principles, which apply to all human rights:

Non-Discrimination: Health care must be accessible and provided without discrimination (in intent or effect) based on health status, race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexuality, disability, language, religion, national origin, income, or social status.

Transparency: Health information must be easily accessible for everyone, enabling people to protect their health and claim quality health services. Institutions that organize, finance or deliver health care must operate in a transparent way.

Participation: Individuals and communities must be able to take an active role in decisions that affect their health, including in the organization and implementation of health care services.

Accountability: Private companies and public agencies must be held accountable for protecting the right to health care through enforceable standards, regulations, and independent compliance monitoring.

Healthcare Is a Human Right campaigns now exist in several U.S. states, inspired by the example of Vermont, which in 2011 became the first state to pass a law for a universal, publicly financed health care system. All of these campaigns have translated the human rights standards listed above into clear human rights principles that guide their actions and policy positions:

• Universality: Everyone must have access to equal high-quality and comprehensive health care.
  • Equity: Resources and services must be distributed and accessed according to people's needs. We get what we need and give what we can.
  • Accountability: The health care system must be accountable to the people it serves.
  • Transparency: The health care system must be open with regard to information, decision-making, and management.
  • Participation: The health care system must enable meaningful public participation in all decisions affecting people's right to health care.

The Human Right to Health is protected in:
United Nations committees ("treaty bodies"), comprised of independent experts, oversee the implementation of particular human rights treaties. These committees oversee the treaties by, among other things, receiving government and civil society reports on the implementation of the treaties, making comments to the government reports, and issuing general comments about the treaties or specific right contained therein. With regard to the human right to health, in the year 2000 the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights issued legal guidance for implementation of this right:

With that kind of attitude it shouldn't be no surprise that pharmacy is going down the drain.

Reactions: 3 users

It's not a human right to force other people to offer you goods and services such as healthcare, nor is it a human right to shed yourself of personal responsibility. That being said, it's illegal to deny any person emergency medical treatment in the United States and we also have this thing called Medicaid. Plus I thought Obamacare was supposed to fix all of this... but noooo we need more government, more socialized medicine, single payer healthcare... they just never pull back.

Regarding this ancient post - Calling for refills is simply a courtesy, not a requirement. Most pharmacies will send a fax to the doctor and just wait for a response. In situations in which the patient is mentally incapable of resolving the issue on their own, almost all pharmacies (and physicians) will do everything they can to take care of the patient. This doesn't mean that they are going to personally handle every issue for every patient in the name of customer service... there are more pressing issues than bugging doctors for refills on patients who skip their appointments and calling insurance companies for your ID number because you think telling me the name of your insurance company is sufficient information for me to submit a claim.

Last edited:
  • Health care must be provided as a public good for all, financed publicly and equitably.
That's what I said. There is a price on all healthcare.

As a doctor, I don't do anything with refill requests from the pharmacy. I expect the patient to call me and ask for it. This allows me to see that they are taking it as they should and running out when they are supposed to.

Reactions: 2 users
i think going to walgreens is an issue too. people prefer independents over chains for the better customer service and the closer community feeling. if you are a good patient at our pharmacy and we know your situation, we would definitely make the call

As a doctor, I don't do anything with refill requests from the pharmacy. I expect the patient to call me and ask for it. This allows me to see that they are taking it as they should and running out when they are supposed to.

Honestly, if all they do is come to us for refills...you guys wouldn't make any money. I'll fax the office but also tell them to followup with the office.

the fact you resurrected a necro thread scares me

I've worked in some places where physicians refused to take refill requests from pharmacists and required patients to request them. We kept a list posted by the phone of who we knew would outright deny if the pharmacy called. It's a patient's responsibility to manage their refills, if a pharmacy offers to contact a physician on the patient's behalf that's a courtesy service offered. If one is disabled they should really have a caregiver managing these types of things, it's not really the pharmacy's duty.

What was the prescription for? A highly controlled medication like Morphine or Norco, the pharmacy can't take a refill by phone, fax, or e-rx, you would need to contact your doctor.

And were you expecting your pharmacist to call your doctor right then and there? If its after hours, the pharmacy will not call your doctor, you would need to do that.