Can this classify as "most meaningful" experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1cor1311

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey sdn family,

I currently have all 15 sections of my work activities occupied, and that's already merging multiple activities together.

I have decided to use a non-medical community experience as my most meaningful, however when i look at the rest of my experiences with an honest heart about which were most meaningful to me personally, i have to say that backpacking every summer definitely is.
I have it currently listed as such:

Title: Hobbies
Description:
-Athletics: Cycling / Running / Soccer / Tennis and other recreational sports. Attempt to exercise daily.Competitive and non-competitive training.
-Backpacking and hiking: I attempt to set apart time each summer to go hiking and camping. Mostly across the high sierras / Yosemite Valley.

Every summer i have gone camping and backpacking with close friends in some amazing mountain ranges. It has been personally amazing and meaningful, yet it obviously is not medically or academically related.

What is some advice on using "backpacking and hiking across the sierras" for the last 4 summers?

It has taught me a lot, especially about friendship, trust, simplicity, joy,. humility and much more.

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Pick something else...unless it shaped you immensely as a person, but it probably didn't

Pick something else...unless it shaped you immensely as a person, but it probably didn't

I wouldn't say it shaped me immensely, but it was personally significant and meaningful. If i choose something else i have to try and dishonestly show how that experience was "transformative".

How bad is it to only have one most meaningful experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
If it has really shaped who you are, I would include it. However, also include something that has encouraged you to pursue medicine.

I believe it is important to balance qualifications and credentials with evidence of individuality and interests beyond the pre-med or academic spectrum in an application. However, it seems to me the 'Most Meaningful' entries should be reserved for activities that demonstrate a fitness for medicine, whether those are events that pointed someone toward the field of medicine, helped him or her better understand what medicine is all about, or reveal characteristics and attributes that align with what schools are looking for in physician candidates. In other words, talk about what you want but ultimately help the reader understand how that activity or selection of activities has or have prepared you for medicine. I think of these designations not as the most meaningful activity of my life but as the most meaningful in the context of my professional ambitions. At least that's my take.

I don't think there is anything wrong with including this activity in your application; however, I would add it as a normal entry and discuss something more substantive and relevant to medicine as 'most meaningful.' With that said, if you can craft this entry in a way that brings it back to medicine in a convincing way, go for it.

I wouldn't say it shaped me immensely, but it was personally significant and meaningful. If i choose something else i have to try and dishonestly show how that experience was "transformative".

But this is a medical school application. You should use these three opportunities to talk about those experiences that drove you to medicine the most. How has backpacking helped you reach the conclusion medicine is the career for you?

Those trips add dimensionality to you as a candidate but I would focus on discussing those activities that were most influential in your pursuit of medicine.

If it has really shaped who you are, I would include it. However, also include something that has encouraged you to pursue medicine.

I believe it is important to balance qualifications and credentials with evidence of individuality and interests beyond the pre-med or academic spectrum in an application. However, it seems to me the 'Most Meaningful' entries should be reserved for activities that demonstrate a fitness for medicine, whether those are events that pointed someone toward the field of medicine, helped him or her better understand what medicine is all about, or reveal characteristics and attributes that align with what schools are looking for in physician candidates. In other words, talk about what you want but ultimately help the reader understand how that activity or selection of activities has or have prepared you for medicine. I think of these designations not as the most meaningful activity of my life but as the most meaningful in the context of my professional ambitions. At least that's my take.

I don't think there is anything wrong with including this activity in your application; however, I would add it as a normal entry and discuss something more substantive and relevant to medicine as 'most meaningful.' With that said, if you can craft this entry in a way that brings it back to medicine in a convincing way, go for it.

But this is a medical school application. You should use these three opportunities to talk about those experiences that drove you to medicine the most. How has backpacking helped you reach the conclusion medicine is the career for you?

Those trips add dimensionality to you as a candidate but I would focus on discussing those activities that were most influential in your pursuit of medicine.

Your responses are very helpful, thank you for laying that out it indeed makes sense to discuss what is meaningful in light of my pursuit for medicine. I wont be listing it as most meaningful. I actually can write and choose another project i enjoyed a lot which i have listed as community involvement "medical" thank you so much everyone.!

Lastly, is it pertinent to have 3 "most meaningful" i think i will be sticking with just two.
Thanks!

This.
Don't just ask yourself which of your experiences were most meaningful to you, as a person, but rather to you, as a med school applicant/future doctor. If you still think the backpacking trips are your best bet, you should be able to explain how they influenced your decision to become a physician.

Can anyone help me out in proofreading my "most meaningful" experience descriptions?
If you are qualified to edit for content / flow / grammar / etc. thanks!

Then include it. Your most meaningful experiences should be just that - the experiences that meant the most to you.

A lot of people on this site are going to tell you to explain how all of your experiences explicitly make you suited for medicine. Those people are idiots.

try to come off as a human, not a robot.

Then include it. Your most meaningful experiences should be just that - the experiences that meant the most to you.

A lot of people on this site are going to tell you to explain how all of your experiences explicitly make you suited for medicine. Those people are idiots.

try to come off as a human, not a robot.

The OP also asked "How bad is it to only have one most meaningful experience?" You don't think there's anything questionable about having no meaningful experiences that influenced your decision to become a doctor?

I wrote my personal statement for vascular surgery residency, it was called, "The Millimeter". In it I discussed my experiences rock climbing and used it to demonstrate why I was born to be a Vascular surgeon. I touched on the millimeter between sticking a move and falling 50 feet and the millimeter between hitting an artery and missing. I talked about economy of motion, efficiency, focus, organization, drive, preparation, teamwork, among other things.

Having reviewed medical school applications and essays, I can tell you this: the experience is that you talk about is completely and totally irrelevant. What matters is what they meant to you. How did it shape you? How did it prepare you? Nobody can tell you what the most meaningful experience you have had is. Now, while, "friendship, trust, simplicity, joy,. humility" are nice and all, they aren't exactly things that medical schools look for. Most adcoms are looking for something a little more concrete or tangible.

I wrote my personal statement for vascular surgery residency, it was called, "The Millimeter". In it I discussed my experiences rock climbing and used it to demonstrate why I was born to be a Vascular surgeon. I touched on the millimeter between sticking a move and falling 50 feet and the millimeter between hitting an artery and missing. I talked about economy of motion, efficiency, focus, organization, drive, preparation, teamwork, among other things.

Having reviewed medical school applications and essays, I can tell you this: the experience is that you talk about is completely and totally irrelevant. What matters is what they meant to you. How did it shape you? How did it prepare you? Nobody can tell you what the most meaningful experience you have had is. Now, while, "friendship, trust, simplicity, joy,. humility" are nice and all, they aren't exactly things that medical schools look for. Most adcoms are looking for something a little more concrete or tangible.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. One of my "most meaningful" entries was something not at all medically-related, but I emphasized the lessons I learned which would help me as a medical student/physician. I think it's great to have meaningful activities outside of the standard hospital/research/shadowing trifecta that everyone talks about, but make sure that everything you enter on your application points to why you are prepared to be a good medical student/physician.

And regarding your question about having only one most meaningful activity, I personally viewed each of those as an opportunity to sell myself to schools. Obviously, it shouldn't be fluff, but I tried my best to have thorough/strong/relevant answers in all the places where I could sell my application, both on primary and secondary applications. I almost always came pretty close to the word/character limit (not to say that you need to do it).

Dude, that sounds like a very unique personal statement! :thumbup: Just sayin'. :) I'll be sure to keep your points in mind when revising my personal statement. :nod: