can u write scripts to walgreens/cvs/etc w/o dea number?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a cali license number and an npi number. However, no DEA number. Can I still write scripts outside of my residency program in california?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a cali license number and an npi number. However, no DEA number. Can I still write scripts outside of my residency program in california?

Not for narcs. And since nobody wants anything but narcs, there's not much point. Nobody cares if you write for cipro, OCPs or albuterol.

The DEA is supposed to be used only for controlled substances. Some pharmacies ask for it for noncontrolled substances - which I always refuse to give; the fewer people who know my DEA, the better, IMHO.

Therefore, you can write for non-narcotic meds as long as you have a medical license. Your NPI number is not relevant here.

Really? You can actually write for simple things like OCTs or Augmentins even in states like NJ where they don't even give a temporary license?

some of the residents i know w/ cali licenses who write scripts work fine in the hospital. however, if a patient takes it out to local pharmacy in cali, sometimes they call requesting a dea number. dunno if a npi number would help.

Really? You can actually write for simple things like OCTs or Augmentins even in states like NJ where they don't even give a temporary license?

If you have a medical license.

If all you have is an institutional license then some pharmacies may refuse to fill the script, especially at outside your hospital or out of state and especially for narcs (if using an institutional DEA).

some of the residents i know w/ cali licenses who write scripts work fine in the hospital. however, if a patient takes it out to local pharmacy in cali, sometimes they call requesting a dea number. dunno if a npi number would help.

Your NPI is used for billing purposes. It is not required for pharmacies and has nothing to do with filling scripts or having a DEA.

If you are writing for narcs outside of your home institution and you do not have an unrestricted license, then outside pharmacies will rightfully call and ask for your DEA number. Many will not accept an institutional DEA #.

If your friends in Cali have a full and unrestricted license, a DEA and are writing for narcs, the pharmacies need the DEA number.

There are MULTIPLE lengthy threads here on this topic. I suggest those interested do a search.

Your NPI is used for billing purposes. It is not required for pharmacies and has nothing to do with filling scripts or having a DEA.

How do they verify you're a doctor without the DEA#? And just to get this clear, you can't even write for Augmentin (outside your institution) if you don't have an independent license? (i.e. after a year of internship + step 3 in most states)

How do they verify you're a doctor without the DEA#? And just to get this clear, you can't even write for Augmentin (outside your institution) if you don't have an independent license? (i.e. after a year of internship + step 3 in most states)

The DEA is not used to verify your degree. Whether you know it or not, you are in a large database of licensed physicians in the state which the pharmacies can access. The DEA helps them identify you but keep in mind, all over this country, office managers and MAs are calling in scripts for the physicians in their practice and not providing the DEA #.

Whether or not you can write a script for a non-controlled substance without an independent (ie, non-training license) depends on the pharmacy and any state regulations. In Pennsylvania, I did not have my full and unrestricted license until 3rd year and my DEA until 4th year yet I was able to write scripts for non-controlled substances which patients regularly filled outside the hospital despite my only having a training license.

And just to get this clear, you can't even write for Augmentin (outside your institution) if you don't have an independent license? (i.e. after a year of internship + step 3 in most states)

If you write a script for someone not seen at your institution (i.e. a friend, relative, etc) as a favor, you are praticing without a license. Do so at your own risk.

Unfortunately, many insurance companies do still require a DEA number in order to process ANY prescription. Some will accept the NPI in lieu of the DEA, for a non-controlled substance, but some still won't.

It's ridiculous, and no pharmacist is going to argue that point. But when the insurance company won't approve the prescription without it, and the doctor refuses to provide it, it's the patient who suffers.

Regarding prescribing narcotics with a training license: if the script is on hospital paper, for a patient you took care of within the scope of your training, it's legal in every state (to my knowledge), and you can use the hospital's DEA.