Can you calm my nerves?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXsweethrt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pursuing a career in PT (granted I will be a freshman this fall) but I just got back from my orientation and I'm having doubts whether I picked the right path or not. I will graduate in 4 yrs with a bachelors in Applied Exercise Physiology.

With that said, all of my advisors are scaring me with their talk of if you don't have a high enough GPA no one will take you and when I asked what kind of jobs you can do with an AEP degree if I didn't get into a PT school right away, and they told me corporate fitness or maybe if you get really lucky cardio rehab. Was this degree the smartest choice? And then I understand volunteer hours and actual shadowing/hands on experience helps a lot but does it matter what kind of volunteer work you do or who you shadow? (Like different specialities?)

Anyways basically my questions are did I do right by choosing AEP? and can you give me a run-down on what you did outside of school to increase your chances of being accepted into a PT school? I'm having doubts on whether I am taking the right path to PT.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am pursuing a career in PT (granted I will be a freshman this fall) but I just got back from my orientation and I'm having doubts whether I picked the right path or not. I will graduate in 4 yrs with a bachelors in Applied Exercise Physiology.

With that said, all of my advisors are scaring me with their talk of if you don't have a high enough GPA no one will take you and when I asked what kind of jobs you can do with an AEP degree if I didn't get into a PT school right away, and they told me corporate fitness or maybe if you get really lucky cardio rehab. Was this degree the smartest choice? And then I understand volunteer hours and actual shadowing/hands on experience helps a lot but does it matter what kind of volunteer work you do or who you shadow? (Like different specialities?)

Anyways basically my questions are did I do right by choosing AEP? and can you give me a run-down on what you did outside of school to increase your chances of being accepted into a PT school? I'm having doubts on whether I am taking the right path to PT.

Thanks

Applied Exercise Physiology? Never heard of that as an actual major. Any type of movement/exercise science usually falls under the Kinesiology major. I'm assuming you're college of choice doesn't offer "kinesiology" pursay but offer the AEP which is very similar. It's probably your best bet for any sort of career in the exercise/fitness/rehab field. My degree is in kinesiology and I feel it prepared me quite well for any career in this field. Just work hard, get involved in extracurriculars, and you'll be fine. You're a freshman, so you know now going forward what you have to do. Even if you make some mistakes and your GPA takes a hit, don't let it get to you. You can always retake classes and/or take other course work to help out.

God, advisors can be so ridiculous with their scare tactics- it infuriates me! It's great that you are thinking ahead about a fall-back plan, but if you follow your heart, you'll be just fine. I had terrible advising in my undergrad, and when I sought out pt, one of the first I shadowed told me their advisor(s) had done the same thing, basically trying to talk her out of her undergrad and getting her DPT.....Where is she now? Home health, happy as a clam, making above 70k a year (only been out of school for about 3 years).

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In four years, PT school will probably be much harder to get into. IMO, if I were to do it all over again, I would major in something that would get me a decent job right out of undergrad (accounting, engineering, etc...) and take all the pre-reqs for PT school. If you fail to get accepted at least you have a backup plan and you wouldn't need to go back to grad school if you choose not too. It's really competitive out there and I have seen so many friends and people fail to get into medical, pharmacy, pt, etc.. school and end up doing something else. Just keep your grades up and keep at it. Good luck!

I agree that it's a good idea to pursue another degree as a good fall back plan while still taking your pre-req's for pt school (as electives or otherwise) if it's something that really worries you. I mentioned it a while ago, but the most stable option you might have (of course depending on the school you're going to) was one that was at my school. It was an honors program, where if you graduated with honors by keeping up your gpa and fulfilled certain requirements, you were guaranteed a spot in their pt program- no apps, fees, and I believe you even could get the gre waived. Just throwing out ideas; there are many options out there. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you everybody. Another question though... what kind of volunteering did you do?

Thank you everybody. Another question though... what kind of volunteering did you do?

Every individual is different, but I volunteered in a variety of settings. I volunteered in a neurophysiology research lab, doctors offices, sat in on some surgeries, interned for 2 semesters at university health services, interned at a student fitness center, volunteer shadowing at a PT clinic, volunteer assisting athletic and strength and conditioning coaches.

don't limit yourself..volunteer with anything that you find appealing. i also did other things like habitat for humanity and all that, but i'd recommend getting some well rounded science/medical experiences

The fact that you are have a good idea as a freshman is college, puts you ahead of most people! Applied Exercise Physiciology is a great major to have prior to entering PT school.

I had several people at my school that majored in things such as English, Aeronautical Engineering, etc. So really it doesn't matter what you major in, just as long as you meet your Prereq's and prove you are really interested in PT and get plenty of volunteer or paid observation hours.

Good luck!

Look at athletic training as an undergraduate major. It gets you doing many of the same things as what you will be doing in PT school, you can get a job with that degree plus certification after school, and its fun.

I second truthseekers motion of Athletic Training as a bachelors degree. I wish I had done it, but alas it is too late now as it would add a little over a year to my undergrad and, at 44 years old, I don't want to take that kind of time.

yeah, if i could go back i'd definitely pick the ATC route.

What if my school doesn't offer an actual major in Athletic training, but gives a handful of students the opportunity to apply to be a part of the school's athletic training group? Would that be beneficial?

What if my school doesn't offer an actual major in Athletic training, but gives a handful of students the opportunity to apply to be a part of the school's athletic training group? Would that be beneficial?

the experience would certainly be helpful, but it wouldn't satisfy your original need to have an undergraduate major that would offer likely employment if you didn't get into PT school. Maybe you need to look at a different school.

Maybe you need to look at a different school.

I've been looking around but I've already been to orientation and picked classes and everything and I feel like its getting to be to late to be accepted to anywhere else.

OK take a deep breath. You're a freshman right? This first year you'll just be taking gen ed courses anyway. Take the year to talk to advisors at your school, look into programs at other schools and enjoy being a freshman. Keep in mind that PT programs are pretty competitive so watch your grades. Take advantage of any tutoring or learning centers if you need them. Volunteer, observe PTs and get involved in your school. If you do all of that, you'll have no problem getting accepted.

i agree that of course it would be great to get a usable undergraduate degree. BUT, if you like the school you are at now then just do what everyone else has said-volunteer, keep your grades up, get involved.,etc. this way, you can guarantee your admittance to a grad. progam and it won't really matter if your degree was usable. i majored in health science which the advisors specifically tell us is mainly a good way for getting pre-reqa. for grad. school accomplished and nothing more. i was lucky to get into my program so i don't have to worry about the career factor but it never hurts to get your money's worth towards a degree. but don't worry if yours isn't-just worry about your stats!!!

OK take a deep breath. You're a freshman right? This first year you'll just be taking gen ed courses anyway. Take the year to talk to advisors at your school, look into programs at other schools and enjoy being a freshman. Keep in mind that PT programs are pretty competitive so watch your grades. Take advantage of any tutoring or learning centers if you need them. Volunteer, observe PTs and get involved in your school. If you do all of that, you'll have no problem getting accepted.

volunteer, keep your grades up, get involved.,etc. this way, you can guarantee your admittance to a grad. progam and it won't really matter if your degree was usable

Okay I'm breathing deep here... thank you so much for all of your advice. This settles my stomach a bit. I guess I'm just overstressing here... bad habit of mine. But from what everyone has said all I really need to focus on is volunteering, grades, and extra-curriculars and not so much on my actual major (well to an extent atleast). Thank you everybody :)