Can you chance me? School list, MCAT, and GPA listed.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swiftaspirations

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
With the application cycle coming closer, I am concerned about my situation. I was not able to retake the MCAT before it changed, but retaking with the new MCAT is still an option.

School List: (I have not yet completed my list of D.O. schools)
1.Central Michigan University College of Medicine

2.University of New Mexico School of Medicine

3.University of South Carolina School of Medicine

4.Florida State University College of Medicine

5.University of Kansas School of Medicine

6.Meharry Medical College

7.University of Mississippi Medical Center

8.West Virginia University School of Medicine

9.University of South Carolina Greenville School of Medicine

10.East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen College of Medicine

11.University of Illinois College of Medicine

12.University of Oklahoma Medical School

13.University of Missouri School of Medicine

14.University of Utah School of Medicine

15.University of Missouri-Kansas City Volker

16.Medical College of Georgia/Georgia Regents University

17.George Washington University Medical School

18.Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science

19.The University of Arizona College of Medicine: Phoenix

20.Florida Atlantic University College of Medicine

21.University of South Alabama College of Medicine

22.University of Nevada School of Medicine

23.The University of Arizona College of Medicine: Tucson

24.University of Minnesota Medical School

25.University of Louisville School of Medicine

26.Rush Medical College

27.Robert Wood Johnson Medical School

28.Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

29.Frank H. Netter MD School of Medicine

30.Eastern Virginia Medical School

31.University of California Riverside School of Medicine

32.Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine

33.LSU Health New Orleans School of Medicine

34.Southern Illinois University School of Medicine

35.Michigan State University College of Human Medicine

36.The Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University

If my stats are not legitimate for medical schools, and I need to retake the MCAT, please let me now. Also, I am open to suggestions of schools that I should remove or schools that I should add to my list. I look forward to reading your suggestions. I really appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am open to suggestions of schools that I should remove or schools that I should add to my list. I look forward to reading your suggestions. I really appreciate your help.
It would help to know your official state of residence. You have listed some schools that aren't friendly to out-of-staters.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you don't need a DO list unless DO is something you are interested in. you will probably be good for MD. your list needs a lot of work though, far too many state schools

Should I not apply to any state schools except my residence state? Would they screen me out immediately because of my MCAT? I just tried to pick schools that had matriculants in my range. Are there any state schools that would be friendly to those that are out-of-state? Should I add some reach schools?

Should I not apply to any state schools except my residence state? Would they screen me out immediately because of my MCAT? I just tried to pick schools that had matriculants in my range. Are there any state schools that would be friendly to those that are out-of-state? Should I add some reach schools?
I can't help without knowing your under-represented community.

Are there any state schools that would be friendly to those that are out-of-state? ?
Yes, there are. University of Illinois is one of them and it's also very friendly to those of Hispanic background. SIU, OTOH, takes no OOSers.

Do you have a copy of the on-line MSAR yet? This will be an essential tool for sorting out what schools are worth the application fee. It's $25 for a one-year subscription (new version comes out in April each year) and will save you a lot of money if you don't include schools where you have no chance: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/

You have far too many OOS programs on your list. Use the MSAR to see which schools are friendly to OOS applicants. In addition, those who do accept OOS applicants require higher stats than they would for in-state applicants.

ECU, for example, is primarily interested in serving physicians who have ties to eastern North Carolina or rural North Carolina. A vast majority of the schools on your list have similar intent.

Hear is a list that would be helpful to you:
Your state schools in your state of residence
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
GW
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Commonwealth (PA)
Penn State
Tulane
Miami

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, you need to look at the percentage of OOS applicants who get interviews and matriculate.

Yes, there are. University of Illinois is one of them and it's also very friendly to those of Hispanic background. SIU, OTOH, takes no OOSers.

Do you have a copy of the on-line MSAR yet? This will be an essential tool for sorting out what schools are worth the application fee. It's $25 for a one-year subscription (new version comes out in April each year) and will save you a lot of money if you don't include schools where you have no chance: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/
I do have a the online subscription for MSAR and it has been helpful. Thank you for the helpful information on University of Illinois and those that do not take OOSers.

You have far too many OOS programs on your list. Use the MSAR to see which schools are friendly to OOS applicants. In addition, those who do accept OOS applicants require higher stats than they would for in-state applicants.

ECU, for example, is primarily interested in serving physicians who have ties to eastern North Carolina or rural North Carolina. A vast majority of the schools on your list have similar intent.
I did not see any statistics on the MSAR that gave information on OOS, but I will look again. That will be very helpful.

Hear is a list that would be helpful to you:
Your state schools in your state of residence
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
GW
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Commonwealth (PA)
Penn State
Tulane
Miami
Thank you so much for this list of schools. I definitely add these, and I will go over the MSAR again to find the OOS statistics. I seem to have overlooked that.

Which Latino community?
Language skills, service orientation?
I am a part of the mexican american community. Because my parents mostly spoke english around me, I am only proficient in spanish, but I would like to become fluent during the summer.

I am a part of the mexican american community. Because my parents mostly spoke english around me, I am only proficient in spanish, but I would like to become fluent during the summer.
With evidence of a service orientation, language skills and and good interviews, you should be ok.

Reactions: 1 user