Can you choose to not report a summer class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeeinanIV

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I just finished taking Organic Chemistry I at a local college (different from my home institution) and I'm pretty sure I got a C. Now i'm planning on just taking orgo 1&2 at my home institution this upcoming year instead (I'm going to be a sophomore). Since I'm going to be taking the full sequence of orgo at my home school can I just choose not to report that I took this summer class? I don't want this grade to affect my gpa and I figured I could just "forget" this ever happened. Is this correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Uh.....no.... I don't think that's how it works. You can't get redos in life. If you don't report it to your home institution, when you apply with AMCAS, it will ask you for the all institutions you've ever been apart of in terms of post secondary education and beyond. You can't run of it, and I'm pretty certain "forget" about it is very frowned upon.

Reactions: 1 users
No, you cannot do that. The AMCAS's rules state that you must report all college classes you've taken and provide a transcript from every college you've attended that has a transcript for you. This local college would be included in that. It is possible for you to violate the rules, not report the course, and not submit the transcript, but you would be in a ton of hot water if they ever found out, and it's entirely possible that they would. Additionally, that's dishonest and I don't recommend dishonesty. So, basically, report the course.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not. You're required to report every course you've ever taken at any college. Don't sweat it though. You still have 2-3+ years to bring up your GPA. The consequences of not reporting it are far worse.

Definitely not. You're required to report every course you've ever taken at any college. Don't sweat it though. You still have 2-3+ years to bring up your GPA. The consequences of not reporting it are far worse.
Okay I understand, sorry if this was a stupid question.

Also, would it be better to continue into Organic 2 in the summer and do better in that than I did in orgo 1? If that happens would it still be advised to retake orgo1 in the fall at my home institution ? Would it look bad that I retook orgo 1 immediately after? Should I just drop orgo 2 in the summer after this bad grade?

Okay I understand, sorry if this was a stupid question.

Also, would it be better to continue into Organic 2 in the summer and do better in that than I did in orgo 1? If that happens would it still be advised to retake orgo1 in the fall at my home institution ? Would it look bad that I retook orgo 1 immediately after? Should I just drop orgo 2 in the summer after this bad grade?
I'm not an adcom, but I can offer my own two cents. I think that it would be bad to take orgo 2 this summer and then retake orgo 1 during the school year. The reason is that I think adcoms think retakes should be because you feel you don't have sufficient knowledge of the subject area, not because you want a higher grade on your transcript. If you take orgo 2 before you retake orgo 1, you would be saying that you felt that your orgo 1 knowledge was sufficient to continue on to the next course in the sequence, yet you still retook it. I wouldn't do it that way.

As far as whether or not you should even retake it, that's kind of up in the air. It is always a good idea to retake a D or an F. It is never a good idea to retake a B. C's are kind of hard to know. I would base your decision solely off of whether you think you have sufficient orgo 1 knowledge to succeed in orgo 2.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh I see, I get what you mean about continuing to Orgo 2.

If I end up doing worse than a C in Orgo 1 would you recommend retaking orgo 1 in the fall, dropping the summer orgo 2, and then just continuing orgo 2 in the spring after the orgo 1 retake?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not an adcom, but I can offer my own two cents. I think that it would be bad to take orgo 2 this summer and then retake orgo 1 during the school year. The reason is that I think adcoms think retakes should be because you feel you don't have sufficient knowledge of the subject area, not because you want a higher grade on your transcript. If you take orgo 2 before you retake orgo 1, you would be saying that you felt that your orgo 1 knowledge was sufficient to continue on to the next course in the sequence, yet you still retook it. I wouldn't do it that way.

As far as whether or not you should even retake it, that's kind of up in the air. It is always a good idea to retake a D or an F. It is never a good idea to retake a B. C's are kind of hard to know. I would base your decision solely off of whether you think you have sufficient orgo 1 knowledge to succeed in orgo 2.

If I end up doing worse than a C in Orgo 1 would you recommend retaking orgo 1 in the fall, dropping the summer orgo 2, and then just continuing orgo 2 in the spring after the orgo 1 retake?

If you get a C-, it's still in the hard to tell range, and I think that would have to be a personal decision based on your own feelings about whether or not you'd be likely to succeed in orgo 2 without a retake. If you get a D, drop orgo 2 for the summer and retake orgo 1 in the school year. Getting a D in orgo 1 would definitely indicate that you will struggle in orgo 2 if you don't retake orgo 1 and improve your knowledge.

If you get a C-, it's still in the hard to tell range, and I think that would have to be a personal decision based on your own feelings about whether or not you'd be likely to succeed in orgo 2 without a retake. If you get a D, drop orgo 2 for the summer and retake orgo 1 in the school year. Getting a D in orgo 1 would definitely indicate that you will struggle in orgo 2 if you don't retake orgo 1 and improve your knowledge.

Thank you for your help!

You have to retake a C- in a pre req. med schools don't accept them as passing pre-reqs unless it's a C grade

Do something like this and you might as well set your app on fire.

Hello! I just finished taking Organic Chemistry I at a local college (different from my home institution) and I'm pretty sure I got a C. Now i'm planning on just taking orgo 1&2 at my home institution this upcoming year instead (I'm going to be a sophomore). Since I'm going to be taking the full sequence of orgo at my home school can I just choose not to report that I took this summer class? I don't want this grade to affect my gpa and I figured I could just "forget" this ever happened. Is this correct?

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Take Orgo I and II at your home institution. Report that you also took Orgo I in the summer when you apply to med schools. If you apply to DO schools, they'll replace your summer grade with your fall grade (assuming it is a better grade) which will help your GPA.

Don't listen to the goody-two-shoes posters here. If you took the class at an institution that isn't where you will be graduating from, and you didn't transfer in the credit to your home institution, AMCAS has absolutely no way of knowing you ever took this course. Medical school admissions is a game, don't throw yourself under the bus.

Don't listen to the goody-two-shoes posters here. If you took the class at an institution that isn't where you will be graduating from, and you didn't transfer in the credit to your home institution, AMCAS has absolutely no way of knowing you ever took this course. Medical school admissions is a game, don't throw yourself under the bus.

You obviously have not heard of the National Student Clearinghouse. Stop giving the OP terrible advice.

Source: http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/about/media_center/press_releases/files/release_2013-11-06.pdf

Her grades from the summer school are protected under FERPA unless the AMCAS requires you to waive that protection when submitting

AMCAS requires one to report all courses one has ever taken.

When you submit to AMCAS, you sign a statement attesting to the accuracy of the information provided. If you are found to have lied on the application, you are toast. Why run the risk?
Her grades from the summer school are protected under FERPA unless the AMCAS requires you to waive that protection when submitting
More likely than not, AMCAS asks you to permit the clearinghouse to send it all your educational records (transcripts). You have the right under FERPA not to release your transcripts but then they have the right not to mark your application complete.

There is a difference between not volunteering unflattering information unnecessarily and being dishonest. The AMCAS requires that you record and send transcripts for all coursework you have completed. When you submit it, you agree that you have done this. If you have knowingly withheld any courses, you haven't just chosen to present yourself in a more flattering light, you have outright lied. They absolutely have ways of knowing if you have done this, and you will rightfully be in lots of trouble if you do so.

Please restrain your ignorance of both the med school admissions process and of FERPA. Your notions can cause a good deal of harm.

We Adcoms treat them the same. There's plenty of evidence that dishonest doctors start out as dishonest students, and my clinical colleagues take professionalisms very seriously. A medical student who did what you are advising would be expelled; acceptees would have their acceptances rescinded.

There is a difference between not volunteering unflattering information unnecessarily and being dishonest. The AMCAS requires that you record and send transcripts for all coursework you have completed. When you submit it, you agree that you have done this. If you have knowingly withheld any courses, you haven't just chosen to present yourself in a more flattering light, you have outright lied. They absolutely have ways of knowing if you have done this, and you will rightfully be in lots of trouble if you do so.

Reactions: 2 users

I was waiting for the bro-lawyers to show up, and was not disappointed.

We Adcoms treat them the same. There's plenty of evidence that dishonest doctors start out as dishonest students, and my clinical colleagues take professionalisms very seriously. A medical student who did what you are advising would be expelled; acceptees would have their acceptances rescinded.
Was this part in reference to me? I am not at all advising OP to withhold the transcript for the course. I think that is extremely dishonest and entirely unacceptable. When I talked about "not volunteering unflattering information unnecessarily," I meant something along the lines of: "If you are a person who is interested in medicine for a large variety of reasons, and one of them is the salary, you probably shouldn't mention that in your personal statement. Stick to the other reasons you have for desiring a career as a physician." I find this to be very different from not disclosing courses that the application requires you to disclose.

MUCH more to the new member, but perhaps I misread yours. Mea culpa.

Was this part in reference to me? I am not at all advising OP to withhold the transcript for the course. I think that is extremely dishonest and entirely unacceptable. When I talked about "not volunteering unflattering information unnecessarily," I meant something along the lines of: "If you are a person who is interested in medicine for a large variety of reasons, and one of them is the salary, you probably shouldn't mention that in your personal statement. Stick to the other reasons you have for desiring a career as a physician." I find this to be very different from not disclosing courses that the application requires you to disclose.

Why don't you try this yourself and let us know what how it pans out? :D