Can you do a residency in a completely different state?

future_dr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I mean will the people reviewing you consider you less because you are coming from far away? I plan to move to LA when I finish med-school in Florida. Is there anything that would stop me from doing that? (other than the obvious flight complications-which I can handle) Do people who live in the state of that residency have a better chance to get it? What if my med-school doesn't offer that residency?--Could I just Google a residency that i want and then take it?:help:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it's very common to do a residency in a completely different state, particularly with competitive residencies. It's analogous to the amount of people that go to med school outside of the state they did their undergrad in.

Residency is far more like applying for med school than the inflexible system it sounds like you're thinking it is.

There is a database called FREIDA (accessible only to med students and higher) where you can search residencies across the country. When the time comes, you can also discuss residency options on SDN and get subjective/anecdotal information about how the program directors view in-state vs. out-of-state applicants. My understanding is that there are no consistent preferences, and that different directors have different preferences. I have heard of program directors preferring you to be in-state, and have heard of others who view it negatively (as if you're only applying there because of the location). Don't let it affect any decisions you make, particularly as of now.

You can go anywhere for residency. Generally, people tend to stay closer to where they do med school due to family, spousal jobs, etc. There are no other barriers to going across the country however and probably 40-60% of each med school class leaves the state (depends on which state usually). I would say there is a small amount of regional preference for "local" students but it is not significant and will be variable based on institution and specialty. To secure a residency you go through a process called the "match" you can search the forums for details about this process. Basically you apply to places, receive interviews, go to interviews, rank in order of preference the places you interview, and the programs rank applicants. A computer then puts you at a place that you ranked highly and that ranked you highly. Then you are obligated to go to this program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys. I really don't wanna stay in FL. Hopefully by the time I graduate med-school. I'm 26. That way I can still be young doing my residency with all those LA girls lol. :=|:-):

...-Could I just Google a residency that i want and then take it?:help:

Lol. As mentioned, Residency works through a match system. You don't just google a Residency and take it. You apply, interview, rank it and then a Computer decides if they liked you as much as you liked them. Whether you have a shot at a particular residency depends on test scores, evaluations, interview skills, research, the specialty you are going into. No way to plan a career this far out. Take it one step at a time.

Reactions: 1 user