Can you drop out of hygiene school for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hookemlonghorn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a college graduate, working as a dental assistant and taking upper division biology courses to improve my GPA. This is my second time applying for dental schools in Texas and I am worried that I will not receive an interview this cycle. I really want to become a dentist, but I hate the fact of waiting another year to apply again and what if I do not get accepted my third time around?

I am applying for dental hygiene school at the same time and hypothetically, what happens if I do get accepted? Can I still apply for dental school next cycle during my first year of dental hygiene school? I was not sure if there have ever been cases where a student drops out of hygiene school once he/she got accepted to dental school. I would love to do that in the case that I don't get accepted my third try and haven't wasted a year not being in hygiene school.

What do you guys think? Does dropping out of hygiene school look that bad if you got accepted to dental school?

Members don't see this ad.