can you goto your friend who's a psych resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheetoSnacks

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my friend is a psych resident at this hospital and i've been having some mental issues lately - this person (longtime friend) is one of the few people i trust to confide in but i don't want to like make him work during the times we hang out - is it possible to see my friend in an official capacity? i dont' want to goto someone else becuase naturally i don't like to disclose personal details of my life with some random stranger

Members don't see this ad.

I think that it's a bad bad bad move.

A friend is a friend and a therapist is a therapist. Nothing good will come from confusing this relationship in my opinion.

My suggestion is to go therapist shopping and find someone who you feel you will be able to build a relationship with. Get your friend to suggest someone maybe being that they would know your personality and the type of peple you get along with.

I've been in your position of not wanting to disclose to someone I don't know, but you don't have to say everything in the first few weeks that you meet.

Sorry, it's really late here so if this post is disjointed that's why. But ya, my two cents is that it's not a good idea and you should find someone who is neutral (ie. not in your social circle).

Take care of yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seconded, or thirded! Dual relationships are nasty critters that should not be entered into. You may think it sounds like a great idea but you never know what may happen during your professional relationship that could influence (and/or even harm) your friendship. I agree with the above--ask for a referral to someone else.

Not only are dual relationships fraught with peril, they're also often seen as unethical. Don't do it. Ask your friend whom s/he would recommend you see and go see that person.