Can you join the Navy as a pre med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior in high school but technically a sophomore in college. I have taken a lot of dual enrollment classes while in high school so I have around 30 credits already completed and yes they will transfer as academic credits. I chose the school I did because they have a really good Pre med program. My major is BS Psychology with a concentration in Behavioral Neuroscience. When I visited the school I feel in love. I was originally going to join after college and go to USUHS. But I'm curious as to whether I can somehow join in college but still complete college? (if that makes sense). My school has ROTC but just for Army. I was reading another thread and someone said you can be in the reserves :shrug: but with my understanding of the reserves is that you go to boot camp/ training then are inactive for 4 years then serve 4 years? I just don't think this would work because While i'll finish college in 2 years, Ill be in med school for 4 so that's 6 years. This might be totally out there but since USU is a military facility and you are considered active duty while at the med school, could that count for the reserves? like if I was inactive for 2 to finish college then go to USU then I'd be active so that would still fall under the guidelines right? Idk im just very confused at this point...:(
Also say if I were to do the reserves and it all did work out. if I go to med school, will they pull me out or can I finish then start my payback?
any thoughts would help lol even if it is just to explain something I said that wasn't quite right

Members don't see this ad.

You can apply to USU as an active duty service member but you need to have completed your college degree, which would be challenging to do while you are an active duty enlisted. My recommendation is keep doing what you are doing and then apply to USU.

If you want to join RIGHT NOW pretty much you're only option would be to join the reserves. You're best bet would be to talk to a recruiter, then come back to the forums and tell us all the "amazing things" the Navy can do for you so those with military experience can tell you how it's actually going to be (and even take that with a grain of salt, as 90%+ of peoples exerience here with the military tends to be negative, which is not representative of all people's military experience).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to be a military doc, wait until you are in med school

Reactions: 1 user
Young lady you are 18 years old. Focus on doing well in college and see if you can excel through the crucibles that is organic chemistry and the MCAT.

If by some small chance you are able to maintain a good GPA and score decently on the MCAT then come back to this forum. And then post again after you read through most if not all of the stickies.