Can you lose your medical license if you shoot somone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amazing tekkers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you're licensed, if some crazy guy breaks into your house and you shoot on-sight, can your medical license be revoked?

Members don't see this ad.

Why is this even a question?

Reactions: 6 users
Let's say you're licensed, if some crazy guy breaks into your house and you shoot on-sight, can your medical license be revoked?
If there are charges against you, yes. Not revoked but temporarily suspended.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like if you shot him, he dies, and police believe you murdered him. Is your avatar of u leaving the crime scene?

What if there is evidence he broke in?

Yeah that's me leaving the scene, I go 0 to 100 real quick

Reactions: 8 users
What if there is evidence he broke in?

Yeah that's me leaving the scene, I go 0 to 100 real quick
If you are charged with a crime, the state board is likely to investigate whether to temporarily suspend your license.

You can lose your freedom if you shoot someone.

Even in self-defense?

It is really going to depend on the state. In my home state, if someone is breaking into your house, you can shoot them if that is what you feel like you need to do in order to protect yourself. Once they are in your home, you are in the clear and won't go to jail for shooting them. In some other states, you are required to retreat, even in your own home. So, if you can leave the situation, either by fleeing the house, or by locking yourself into a bathroom or something, you are required to at least make an attempt to retreat before you shoot. In those states, if you shoot, you had better be able to prove it was self defense and that you didn't have options.

As for what any shooting is going to mean for your medical license, I'm going to say that is also going to vary by the state to some degree. Some state boards aren't going to take action against your license as quickly as others might. You really need to talk to a lawyer in your state to advise you if you have any pressing concerns about this matter.

It is really going to depend on the state. In my home state, if someone is breaking into your house, you can shoot them if that is what you feel like you need to do in order to protect yourself. Once they are in your home, you are in the clear and won't go to jail for shooting them. In some other states, you are required to retreat, even in your own home. So, if you can leave the situation, either by fleeing the house, or by locking yourself into a bathroom or something, you are required to at least make an attempt to retreat before you shoot. In those states, if you shoot, you had better be able to prove it was self defense and that you didn't have options.

As for what any shooting is going to mean for your medical license, I'm going to say that is also going to vary by the state to some degree. Some state boards aren't going to take action against your license as quickly as others might. You really need to talk to a lawyer in your state to advise you if you have any pressing concerns about this matter.
:wow:

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is this even something you're worried about? You might as well ask if you shot a bald eagle that was attacking your dog, would PETA call for the suspension of your license or not?

Reactions: 1 users
If it's justifiable self-defense, you should be fine. Other than the irrational stigma against those who have had to defend themselves.

In my state all felonies and misdemeanors of moral turpitude require a board investigation (amongst other reasons). The outcome of the investigation may result in censure, license suspension, revocation or nothing. I'd imagine shooting someone in self-defense would result in the latter.

Reactions: 1 user
Come to Texas, we will even throw you a party for shooting that burglar. :laugh:

Reactions: 8 users
Pretty much the same here (where the homeowner probably has better firearms than the burglar).
Yasss! Some guys even have freaking Ar-15's mounted on the wall ready to go.

Reactions: 4 users
In some other states, you are required to retreat, even in your own home. So, if you can leave the situation, either by fleeing the house, or by locking yourself into a bathroom or something, you are required to at least make an attempt to retreat before you shoot. In those states, if you shoot, you had better be able to prove it was self defense and that you didn't have options.
What??? Last time I checked we don't live in Canada. #'Murica!

Apparently in Florida, you can be running away from the house and they can shoot you.

Reactions: 1 users
What??? Last time I checked we don't live in Canada. #'Murica!

Truth. The doctrine is called "Duty to retreat." In some states, you are required to try to retreat to safety rather than engage an intruder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_retreat

The alternatives are "Castle doctrine," referenced above, which holds that you have a right to defend your home if someone is breaking in, but you may still have a duty to retreat in public spaces; and "Stand your ground," which Florida made famous. In stand your ground states, you need not even be in your home. If you are anywhere and you may employ deadly force in self defense without making an effort to flee first. I refrain from further commentary on that topic.

If you are going to own a lethal weapon, for self defense or any other reason, it behooves you to know all the laws of your jurisdiction regarding its use and misuse. Having owned many, and made use of a concealed carry permit when I was living in a particularly bad situation, I made certain to know what would happen after I pulled the trigger. Too many people run around literally and figuratively half-cocked, exercising their rights without understanding the responsibilities that come along with it.

Of course the law doesn't state it, but many people claim "stand your ground" and get away with it.
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...oked-stand-your-ground-walked-away-scot-free/

Juries are unpredictable but it isn't legal to shoot someone who walking away outside your house.

The article doesn't help prove your point although it does make some false assumptions. Zimmerman didn't shoot someone walking away. He shot someone who had him in full mount. The stats given about race neglect to mention that those claiming stand your fround are also disproportionately minority. The anecdotal stories mentioned aren't cited so i can't comment except to repeat that even if true...juries are unpredictable

Juries are unpredictable but it isn't legal to shoot someone who walking away outside your house.

The article doesn't help prove your point although it does make some false assumptions. Zimmerman didn't shoot someone walking away. He shot someone who had him in full mount. The stats given about race neglect to mention that those claiming stand your fround are also disproportionately minority. The anecdotal stories mentioned aren't cited so i can't comment except to repeat that even if true...juries are unpredictable
I was just making fun of Florida, they happen to be in the news most often over pretty ridiculous things.

I was just making fun of Florida, they happen to be in the news most often over pretty ridiculous things.

100% true..... everytime I hear something dumb happened, I say "please don't be florida again"

It depends on the circumstances and state law. If the physician's actions complied with state law, then I do not think there is a basis for revocation of his professional license. If, however, he or she is charged with a crime, then that could potentially be an issue for professional licensing. In many states, it would depend on the reasonableness of the force used under the circumstances and whether the physician reasonably saw imminent harm if he or she did not act. Shooting an unarmed intruder with sufficient lighting to see that the intruder didn't pose imminent harm could be problematic. If the intruder was armed and posed an imminent threat, then probably not. In some states, there is no duty to retreat (i.e. the so called "Castle Doctrine") and then home invasion could be enough to prevent any criminal liability. It all depends on the state.