Can you retake the USLME/COMPLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gpan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are we allowed to retake these tests if we didn't score high enough?

Members don't see this ad.

If you fail you are allowed to retake the test, but if you pass (ie you get >184 I think) you cannot retake it.

If you fail you are allowed to retake the test, but if you pass (ie you get >184 I think) you cannot retake it.
Is it true that we only get a couple months to prepare? So it's better to fail than to slightly pass. Do residency programs know how many times you retake these test? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
if you fail you must drop out of med school and become a nurse instead.

Is it true that we only get a couple months to prepare? So it's better to fail than to slightly pass. Do residency programs know how many times you retake these test? Thanks

It is definitely better to pass the first time. Residencies do care.

if you fail you must drop out of med school and become a nurse instead.
:laugh: It may not be as bad as it sounds, especially if you become Doctor Nurse Practicioner :eek: They are fighting for the same rights and privileges as MDs, e.g. take the "board" exam administered by the same agency that administers the steps, NBME, hospital admitting privileges, the right to be called doctor in a clinical setting, etc. .

Only if you fail. No, it's not better to fail than to marginally pass since failing will automatically screen you out of many residency spots. Yes, you will have plenty of time to study for it (actually, it's kind of like the first two years of med school are forcing you to study for Step I).

It's WAY, WAY TOO EARLY for you to be freaking out about step I. Try to get into med school first...

Funniest thing I've read on SDN in quite a while. Um no, you don't want to have failed Step 1. It is damaging to your residency chances, schools tend not to let you continue rotations until you pass (which may throw off your graduation date), and some states only give you a certain number of times to take each part of the steps cumulatively and ever be licensed, so by failing you may put your back against the wall in terms of later ones. You always want to pass this test at a minimum. If you get a poor score, you adjust your goals, or take Step 2 earlier and try to use that as leverage.

Do residency programs know how many times you retake these test?

YES. And if that number is more than "1," they REALLY, REALLY, REALLY care.

Failing Step 1 or Step 2 CK is a huge, huge "red flag" on your application.

It is preferable to get a 186 on your first attempt, than to get a 170 on your first attempt, and a 220 on your second. If you fail Step 1, some programs will not even look at the rest of your application.

Is it true that we only get a couple months to prepare?

A "couple of months" is PLENTY of time. Most people use 4-5 weeks.

It really is waaaaay to early to even be thinking about this yet.

Just our of curiosity, not meaning to hijack or anything, but are there any sets of reasons that you guys have seen for people failing their steps in the first place? Is it usually just a lack of preparation or are there people who study their rear off and still fail?