Can you safely assume your ps is good if you got interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftp902

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was just wondering general process of reviewing apps.
I got several interviews from high to low tier schools. Can I safely assume that my PS is good if I have multiple interviews? I ask this question because I personally think that my PS is not up to par and whenever I read it, I was not satisfied. I heard from somewhere that II are often given based on your secondary and PS is read later in the decision process to determine if you are in or not. Is this true? Or is is that PS is considered into inviting student?

I would like to hear from adcoms on sdn!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in knowing more about this from adcoms too! I figure that you wouldn't get interviews with a horrible PS, so yours must be at least decent :) congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Two weeks ago I was told by an adcom (professor) at my school that PS don't play a big role in that process unless it's bad... He told me that about 10% of PS are excellent, 80% are average and the other 10% are bad that you can tell these applicants did not put that much effort on them... Is that true @Goro ?

One can be invited in spite of the PS.

@gyngyn Does that mean that PS is indeed considered before interview? In which step of the application process is PS read? Is it before interview or before the final decision or both? I would think that it will depend on schools though.

@gyngyn Does that mean that PS is indeed considered before interview? In which step of the application process is PS read? Is it before interview or before the final decision or both? I would think that it will depend on schools though.
Schools with human screeners read a lot of PS's before an invitation is given.
The committee gets to read all data after the interview.