Can you still get into medical school with 2 C's on your transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I unfortunately have 2 C's on my transcript (my college doesn't have plus minus system), one in ecology and one in introduction to computational media. So far my GPA has been on an upward climb, and I intend to keep it that way and hopefully keep raising it (it's at a 3.4 now). My question is how much do you think those 2 C's would affect my chances at a reasonably-tiered med school (like Tufts, BU, etc.)? I appreciate your honest feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't mind the C's but your GPA 3.4 itself is relatively below the competitive mark which is 3.7+

Doesn't completely ruin your chances just makes it harder

I unfortunately have 2 C's on my transcript (my college doesn't have plus minus system), one in ecology and one in introduction to computational media. So far my GPA has been on an upward climb, and I intend to keep it that way and hopefully keep raising it (it's at a 3.4 now). My question is how much do you think those 2 C's would affect my chances at a reasonably-tiered med school (like Tufts, BU, etc.)? I appreciate your honest feedback.

I'll let you know next Fall (Gen Chem II and Calc I -> C+'s) :xf:. I'd hope that a solid MCAT and good overall app would help out at those quality mid tiers (Tufts, BU, USC, Georgetown, Cinci, etc.) but it's incredibly variable between individual applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't mind the C's but your GPA 3.4 itself is relatively below the competitive mark which is 3.7+

Doesn't completely ruin your chances just makes it harder

This. The 2 Cs aren't that big of a deal, but with a 3.4 GPA, you're a prime candidate for rejection from MD schools. You're right on the cusp of a marginally acceptable application (i.e., 3.5-3.6) but unless you kill the MCAT and have strong ECs, your chances probably aren't great for mid-tier MD schools and most "low"-tier schools get saturated making them anything but "safe." I'd probably suggest raising that GPA and, perhaps, applying the DO route. You look like a fine candidate for that route.

This. The 2 Cs aren't that big of a deal, but with a 3.4 GPA, you're a prime candidate for rejection from MD schools. You're right on the cusp of a marginally acceptable application (i.e., 3.5-3.6) but unless you kill the MCAT and have strong ECs, your chances probably aren't great for mid-tier MD schools and most "low"-tier schools get saturated making them anything but "safe." I'd probably suggest raising that GPA and, perhaps, applying the DO route. You look like a fine candidate for that route.

3.4 isnt THAT low. Just raise it a bit and do well on your mcats and you'll be fine. You'll get in with some Cs. I had 3 Cs and 4 Ws and none of those were ever mentioned in my interviews.

Reactions: 1 user

Just work on raising your GPA, and study effectively for the MCAT. A couple of C's won't ruin your application or anything, provided everything else is in order.

I got a C- in Organic II, which I ended up retaking to a B (the retake was necessary to stay in my major). The C- was on my transcript and AMCAS application, and I still managed to get one acceptance to a perfectly great MD school.

And, Apumic is completely right about no MD schools being "safe" bets. Even so-called "low" tier MD schools are still highly competitive. This cycle might be the toughest yet for applicants.

3.4 isnt THAT low. Just raise it a bit and do well on your mcats and you'll be fine. You'll get in with some Cs. I had 3 Cs and 4 Ws and none of those were ever mentioned in my interviews.

Assuming the OP has not taken the MCAT, a reasonable MCAT score given the grades would be a 26 (statistically). A 3.4/26 has a 23% chance of being admitted somewhere. 3.4 is low enough that you must either do very well on the MCAT (30-32 or top 25% is a 55% chance, 33-35 or top 10% is a 2/3 chance) or bring your GPA up significantly (3.6+) to have a reasonable chance. For someone at that level, it probably makes more sense to consider applying to both DO and MD schools as the OP would be competitive for DO while only marginally competitive for MD.

Assuming the OP has not taken the MCAT, a reasonable MCAT score given the grades would be a 26(statistically). A 3.4/26 has a 23% chance of being admitted somewhere. 3.4 is low enough that you must either do very well on the MCAT (30-32 or top 25% is a 55% chance, 33-35 or top 10% is a 2/3 chance) or bring your GPA up significantly (3.6+) to have a reasonable chance. For someone at that level, it probably makes more sense to consider applying to both DO and MD schools as the OP would be competitive for DO while only marginally competitive for MD.

GPA is way too variable between schools to have this accurately predict MCAT score. A 3.8 at one school is not necessarily a 3.8 at another. If all GPAs were equal, and assuming the MCAT is an accurate measure of percentile, then yes, this would be average and would indicate a mid-20's MCAT.

That predictor sheet for MCAT says I should be getting a 24 lol.

Last edited:
How well do GPA and MCAT score correlate? In my limited personal experience it doesn't seem like the links are that strong. I've seen a lot of highly unbalanced gpa/mcat scores in both directions - the 3.9/28 and the 3.4/36+.

Anyways, yes I've known people who have been admitted with 2-3 C grades, that being said they still had >3.5 cgpa/sgpas and 30+ MCAT scores.

I got in with a D.... Just sayin'

How well do GPA and MCAT score correlate? In my limited personal experience it doesn't seem like the links are that strong. I've seen a lot of highly unbalanced gpa/mcat scores in both directions - the 3.9/28 and the 3.4/36+.

Anyways, yes I've known people who have been admitted with 2-3 C grades, that being said they still had >3.5 cgpa/sgpas and 30+ MCAT scores.

GPA accounts for somewhere around 25% of the MCAT score variance (r=~0.5). This makes it a respectable correlate but nowhere close to a definite prediction. It's probably akin to looking at the sky and seeing clouds and saying it'll probably thunder and lightning today. In reality, we could have a thunder storm w/o visible clouds and visible clouds definitely don't tell us we WILL have a storm, but it does make it more likely. Additionally, because of the difficulty of the MCAT, I don't think it's ever really appropriate to imply that "if you just get a 32+ on the MCAT, that'll make up for your grades" when, in reality, most students that did well in school and understood the topics probably won't break 32. It's simply not realistic. Does it happen? Sure, but it's too rare to tell someone to rely upon it happening.

Likewise, it is absolutely possible to get in with a 3.0/25. These students are usually non-trads with terrible grades from 10 yrs ago who aced every prereq and had other stunning qualities. Truthfully, a few people get in with almost any GPA and MCAT. The reality, however, is that the numbers quickly trend downward once we get below about 3.6/30. (The evidence here lies in the fact that the average accepted student has a 3.66/32, while the average applicant has a 3.4/28 and does not get in, since only about the top 40% of applicants are accepted anywhere.)

gpa accounts for somewhere around 25% of the mcat score variance (r=~0.5). This makes it a respectable correlate but nowhere close to a definite prediction. It's probably akin to looking at the sky and seeing clouds and saying it'll probably thunder and lightning today. In reality, we could have a thunder storm w/o visible clouds and visible clouds definitely don't tell us we will have a storm, but it does make it more likely. Additionally, because of the difficulty of the mcat, i don't think it's ever really appropriate to imply that "if you just get a 32+ on the mcat, that'll make up for your grades" when, in reality, most students that did well in school and understood the topics probably won't break 32. It's simply not realistic. Does it happen? Sure, but it's too rare to tell someone to rely upon it happening.

Likewise, it is absolutely possible to get in with a 3.0/25. These students are usually non-trads with terrible grades from 10 yrs ago who aced every prereq and had other stunning qualities. Truthfully, a few people get in with almost any gpa and mcat. The reality, however, is that the numbers quickly trend downward once we get below about 3.6/30. (the evidence here lies in the fact that the average accepted student has a 3.66/32, while the average applicant has a 3.4/28 and does not get in, since only about the top 40% of applicants are accepted anywhere.)

+1

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 3 C's and, unlike the OP, they are in pre-med classes. 8 MD interviews so far this cycle. No post-bacc work or graduate degrees, either...

but yeah, it is hard. Every other area of my app is good and schools definitely aren't falling all over themselves to accept me. I'm on 2 waitlists and still waiting to hear back from 4 schools

So it's an uphill battle but your chances of acceptance aren't zero, or anything. Not even close.

I do get asked about my grades during interviews, though, since they stand out in a bad way from what is otherwise a great app. I usually say things like I took those grades as learning experiences and developed better study habits. I have a W too, and interviewers seem to immediately dismiss it when I say it was due simply to taking too many credits that semester while also working part-time and not due to having any difficulty with the course material.

Of course you can get into med school with 2 Cs. In fact, you can get into ELITE med schools with 2 Cs.

Focus on destroying the MCAT - note that everyone needs to do this, not just someone with a 3.4 GPA - and remain committed to your ECs and your coursework. Make the Cs the exception, not the rule.

Trust me, med schools are far more interested in what you bring to the table than what grade you earned in Orgo 2.

3.4 is low depending on how many classes you have already taken. Sometimes it can take a long time to raise a GPA that is more or less cemented in place by numerous classes.

Here is my two cents:

• Avoid postbac work (wish I did)
  • The classes you got the Cs in are not pre-reqs so IMO you are okay; retake them if you can and want to but I do not think it is necessary to retake them.
  • Go speak with the adcom at the schools that you are interested in for their opinion. The adcom are probably the best people to tell whether or not they would accept you and what you need to do.

I had C's in Genchem and Bio 1, mostly attributed to the fact that I did not know how to study. Come MCAT time, I knew how to study and proved I knew the material.

While a 3.4 is on the lower side, I was able to get some acceptances this cycle. Just know that you have to work twice as hard on everything else to really overcome the lower GPA.

Don't give up and good luck!

It's totally doable, I got 3 C's (clustered in my underclassmen days).

5 interviews: 3 acceptances, 2 waitlists with a ~3.5 GPA. Didn't take a year off-- if I did, my GPA would be higher. Try hard, be yourself and good things will happen.

Like previous posters said its not just about gpa and MCAT, your ecs can save you. I got a lot of c's in my pre-reqs still managed to get a little love from the med schools.

Got in with 5 or 6 Cs and a 3.33 overall. 4.0 post-bac, 4.0 science, and strong upward trend were probably the major factors though. A person with the same overall GPA as me who had those 5-6 Cs sprinkled throughout the pre-med pre-reqs would probably be way more screwed than I was.

As everyone else said, yes, it is totally doable, and you do not NEED to do a post-bacc (although that depends on your individual app). I got in with 2 C's (you can see my MDApps for more info). Since your GPA isn't the strength in your app (mine wasn't either), you need a great MCAT score (and preferably with a good subscore in the subject that the C's are in, if applicable). Great LORs will go a long way as well.

Yes.

<----- 3 Cs. 3.7something cum, 3.4 BPCM though. So, your mileage may vary.

Mines a 3.08 cGPA (4 C's due to history classes and a spanish) and a 3.4 sGPA. (only 36 hours so far though) Everyone here gives me hope, especially the chick who's a MD/PhD student:)

I got in with 4 Cs on my transcript (gen chem 2, Orgo 1 and 2 and quantum mechanics) and a 3.5 GPA. It definitely is possible.
I had 2 C+'s (both in orgo lol), two or more B-'s, it's really not the end of the world... Just move on and try your best next time.

I got in with two C's ...

One in Organic 1 (but I got a B+ in Orgo 2)
and one in Calc 2 (yea...).

I've been accepted at two schools.

Definitely possible, I got into two MD schools with a couple of Cs in prereq courses freshman year, and no interviewer discussed my grades.
Good luck and don't lose hope! :luck:

Not to hijack this thread but what about C B C+ on English 1,2,3?
Obviously English is NOT my forte..

Otherwise my cGPA is 3.84 and sGPA is ~3.9

How will adcoms look at this?

But what if you get C in the pre req etc at a CC? how will that be viewed?

Don;t worry. I think you will be fine, but if you screw up, you better start getting ready for some temerate weather because your going to the Caribbean!!!!

Caribbean-Anyone-Definitely-Essay.jpg

Seriously???

yeah you can still get in with 2 C's

Having a GPA less than 3.5 will make it hard though.

I'm in a simular situation...I got 2 C's (in University Calculus 2 and Orgo 2)
and a D+ in Cell Bio (that I retook and brought up to a B+). I'm in my junior year now with a major in chemistry program and maybe will also take on a pharmacology and toxicology minor.

I expect my grades to go on an upward trend/be better than what I earned in my lower level classes after learning from my experiences. That being said, am I correct to say that admission commitees will "forgive" my not-so-stellar grades in two classes if I excel in my upper division classes even if the 2 C grades I earned are in prereq classes and would drag down my science GPA? Should I even bother retaking either two classes?

You people are so neurotic lol.

At my PhD program at NWU, which was jointly affilated with the MD/PhD program, I knew an MD/PhD student with a 3.3 GPA and a 31 MCAT.

A 3.4 doesn't kill your app. You have plenty of time to get it better.

what was your GPA and MCAT? How much was your VR? so far i have two B in cal and one C in Organic i and I am so much sad and worried . I really want to go for M.D

I got 2 C+'s the semester I got mono. However I worked hard and ended up with a 3.8. I'm applying this cycle, so I will have to see how it goes.

I got in with a D.... Just sayin'

Judging by your avatar, I think you got in med school with double D's ;)

Lmao, am I the only one who didn't miss this? (sorry, I won't make another corny joke for a month)

And this thread is awesome, it is making me feel much better about my grades. Not to sound like an obnoxious/conceited/arrogant/pre-med/high-horse/oblivious numb nuts, but I wonder if people at top schools also have one or two C's? I can't imagine top schools with such a large selection high-caliber applicant pool to pick an applicant with C's, unless that applicant has an extraordinary story.

In other words, a question I always face/ask myself, is whether C's will automatically kill you for top tier schools, in which case you shouldn't even waste money for those 1-3 dream schools and instead concentrate your 'forces' on lower tier schools. What do you guys think?

(Or do you think that overall GPA > any single crappy grade; regardless of school)

Judging by your avatar, I think you got in med school with double D's ;)

Lmao, am I the only one who didn't miss this? (sorry, I won't make another corny joke for a month)

And this thread is awesome, it is making me feel much better about my grades. Not to sound like an obnoxious/conceited/arrogant/pre-med/high-horse/oblivious numb nuts, but I wonder if people at top schools also have one or two C's? I can't imagine top schools with such a large selection high-caliber applicant pool to pick an applicant with C's, unless that applicant has an extraordinary story.

In other words, a question I always face/ask myself, is whether C's will automatically kill you for top tier schools, in which case you shouldn't even waste money for those 1-3 dream schools and instead concentrate your 'forces' on lower tier schools. What do you guys think?

(Or do you think that overall GPA > any single crappy grade; regardless of school)

Dude I lol'd :laugh:

And to stay on topic, single grades aren't a huge issue, just make sure the GPAs are in the competitive range (ideally, 3.6+). It's an uphill battle if they're not.

I got c in ochem i and cal i. They don't let me withrow i am so worried what to do?

I got c in ochem i and cal i. They don't let me withrow i am so worried what to do?
Get an A, or at the worst a B in Orgo II and move on to kill the rest of your courses the next couple/few years. That's, of course, assuming your GPA is otherwise decent and this is just a bump in the road.

Wow I had completely forgot that I wrote this post! Well just to update, I just graduated from my college this May and pulled my GPA up to a final cumulative of 3.62. It's not the most competitive GPA, but I worked hard to get it to this point so I feel pretty good about it. Next hurdle is my MCAT in T-8 days....oh boy really hoping the MCAT Gods are on my side come judgement day

Wow I had completely forgot that I wrote this post! Well just to update, I just graduated from my college this May and pulled my GPA up to a final cumulative of 3.62. It's not the most competitive GPA, but I worked hard to get it to this point so I feel pretty good about it. Next hurdle is my MCAT in T-8 days....oh boy really hoping the MCAT Gods are on my side come judgement day

Well, I had two Cs and got in as well. One in modern dance, and one in abnormal psych.

GIVE THEM YOUR WORST.

Congrats! Keep us updated!