Can you take HPSP with any of the caribbean schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w110djj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I will be applying to medical school this spring both MD and DO..... I am prior service army and will be hopefully taking the HPSP if one of the military branches still trying to see which one is the most wise choice ....... but was wondering if you can do HPSP with any medical schools like the new Oschner medical center and UQ program or Ross, or american medical school of the caribbean anything like that or no?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I will be applying to medical school this spring both MD and DO..... I am prior service army and will be hopefully taking the HPSP if one of the military branches still trying to see which one is the most wise choice ....... but was wondering if you can do HPSP with any medical schools like the new Oschner medical center and UQ program or Ross, or american medical school of the caribbean anything like that or no?

Carribean schools are not eligible. This topic has been discussed before at length. Please do a search.

Hello everyone,

Probably you could use HPSP at the University of Puerto Rico at San Juan, which is considered a U.S. school. But if you are referring to Ross and the other offshore schools that are marketed to U.S. applicants, no.

Besides being ineligible for HPSP, there are several other good reasons not to consider the Caribbean. Their graduation rate is terrible (most accept more students then they have chairs in the lecture halls, to give you an idea of much confidence they have in you) and of the students who graduate around half match into a residency. The percentage that match might also go down A LOT considering several new US med schools are set to open with no corresponding increase in the number of residency slots. Also since you're not eligible for most of the lower interest rate government loans if you either fail or fail to match you're pretty much stuck in debt forever.

Unless you have both a ton of confidence in yourself and a trust fund I would focus on MD and DO schools, even if it means applying several years in a row (I had to apply twice) rather than going to the islands.