Can you transfer from medical to dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanabdoc

.666k member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have been accepted or have already started medical school is it possible to transfer over to the dental program at the same school?

I'm just curious, that is all.

I know of a medical student who transfered from medical school to pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you ask your school?

This questions comes up like every 4 - 6 months on here. I wonder if there are people posting in the med school forum with the opposite question "Is it possible to transfer from dent to med school?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Nah, I guess not. Because in dental school, operative courses start from day 1. If you come in like a week late, you are listening to a whole new foreign language. Hand skill is the biggest difference. We dental students do not just sit and learn only sciences. Have to do lots of handy work.

If you have been accepted or have already started medical school is it possible to transfer over to the dental program at the same school?

I'm just curious, that is all.

I know of a medical student who transfered from medical school to pharmacy school.

Never heard of a direct transfer.. however, if you are interested in OMFS more programs are accepting med graduates now.

UK: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp08/programme/686

US: I know Michigan, Baylor, and a few others consider MD grads for a 6-year combined DDS/OMFS residency.

Aus: Adelaide and Melbourne both accept med grads into a combined dental degree/OMFS program.

Yea i think you can do if you have not started the syllabus..and you can go to the head of the school and ask him/her ....

it's possible but it just depends on the school. we had a talk from the director of omfs prog at my school and he said that he had two people transfer from medical to dental but they had to take the dental courses that 1st and 2nd take.

Never heard of a direct transfer.. however, if you are interested in OMFS more programs are accepting med graduates now.

US: I know Michigan, Baylor, and a few others consider MD grads for a 6-year combined DDS/OMFS residency.

Aus: Adelaide and Melbourne both accept med grads into a combined dental degree/OMFS program.

kings_banner.jpg

Whats the deal with the guy on the left?????
-C

BUT the other way around...

...can you transfer from dental school to medical schoool?

I know of one dude at Kentucky who got his MD, did a year of general surgery and decided to do OMFS. So he came to Kentucky and is doing all four years of d-school and will only have to complete three years of OMFS (I think he's staying at Kentucky). Obviously, not a direct transfer, but I thought I'd share an example of shifting gears.

i researched this topic and this thread came up.

my question actually is:

Has anyone ever heard of anyone transferring from dental school to med school?

My cousin is in dental school and both were wondering this. any thoughts?

Thanks.:thumbup:

i researched this topic and this thread came up.

my question actually is:

Has anyone ever heard of anyone transferring from dental school to med school?

My cousin is in dental school and both were wondering this. any thoughts?

Thanks.:thumbup:

Yeah, I'm curious too...You would actually think that this would be the easier way to change considering that the first two years of school are basically the same for dental and medical, except that dental has lab work on top of it. So dentistry to medicine would actually make more sense as long as it's in the first couple of years, right?...But I dunno, do schools see the medical students as having a higher caliber of competition for admittance than dental students (so they might see it as taking the backdoor in)? Anyone know anything on this?

Yeah, I'm curious too...You would actually think that this would be the easier way to change considering that the first two years of school are basically the same for dental and medical, except that dental has lab work on top of it. So dentistry to medicine would actually make more sense as long as it's in the first couple of years, right?...But I dunno, do schools see the medical students as having a higher caliber of competition for admittance than dental students (so they might see it as taking the backdoor in)? Anyone know anything on this?

it's not common. most likely you'd have to apply to med school just like a regular applicant.

So rare, that it is essentially a no (unfortunately).