Can you understand Physiology and Pathology/Pathophysiology without Anatomy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedToStudy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting my step 1 studies with Physiology and then movie onto pathology and pathophysiology. Of course I will end up skipping anatomy. Does anyone think it's possible to get a solid understanding of physiology and pathology without anatomy?

Members don't see this ad.

of course, but a strong anatomy background helps put some of the physio in context. but i certainly agree that you can have a solid undestanding of physio without the anatomy.

Members don't see this ad :)
of course, but a strong anatomy background helps put some of the physio in context. but i certainly agree that you can have a solid undestanding of physio without the anatomy.
How about Pathology and Pathophys?

I think you do need some basic understanding of anatomy, certainly not the detail you learn in med school, but some semblance of knowledge is necessary.

Reactions: 1 users
The anatomy helps a lot for physio. I can figure out some concepts from physio that I forgot from just remembering the anatomy + some basic physics

It depends on the disease. Some diseases you can just memorize the path and completely forget about the anatomy. Other diseases make no sense without the anatomy.

Overall, I'd say at least understanding basic anatomy is good enough. Anatomy can help build a foundation for understanding physio which in turn can help build a foundation for path.