can you work part time as an EMT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cmaj7th

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to take an EMT-B class. I'm probably going to transfer to UMBCs EHS program and try to do the fire department thing for a few years before applying to medical school. But this is off topic, I want to know can I work as an EMT and still attend class fulltime? I live in the greater baltimore area if that matters.

I work about 30 hours a week as it is on a rotating work schedule at lowes while attending class fulltime. This does not bother me. I only make $10 an hour, can an EMT in baltimore make more? Can I work on just weekends so I can continue to focus on my studies? How common are 48 hour shifts?

I'm sorry for asking a million questions. I'm a hustler and I need $$ while I go to school. Mommy and daddy have cut me off so I must sink or swim. I would not mind working fulltime if I could still attend class fulltime (without going to distant learning).

Members don't see this ad.

can I work as an EMT and still attend class fulltime? I live in the greater baltimore area if that matters.
If you have class every weekday, you probably won't be able to work full-time. There are definitely services that offer part-time or casual positions, though. I'm not familiar with that area so I can't point you in any directions. If the larger ambulance services don't offer them, try some of the more rural services. They're usually more flexible with scheduling.

I only make $10 an hour, can an EMT in baltimore make more?
Yes, but the more flexible you are with your pay, the easier it will be to find a part-time position that will best suit your needs.

Can I work on just weekends so I can continue to focus on my studies?
Again, this is highly dependent on the ambulance service you work for. Most places like people who want to work weekends because the older, career workers don't like to.

How common are 48 hour shifts?
Not very common. Most places don't like people working over 24 hour shifts because fatigue starts to become a liability.

My advice is to find every ambulance service within an hour of where you live and start making phone calls. Ask them about the part-time positions available and if they can work around your school schedule. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It is doable. I worked 26 hrs/week as a tech while taking 20 units/semester then 60 hrs/week summers while in college.

I worked full-time as an EMT-B while attending medic class. I was also volunteering as an EMT-B for a volunteer squad.

Come to California. I make $20 an hour as a part time emt on 12 hour shifts.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using SDN Mobile

Holy crap. Depts around here pay about 10/hour for part-time EMTs (EMT-B).

I made just over 14 for being full-time.