Canadian Acceptances - 2015 MSAR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceroll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to US med schools this summer as a Canadian, and I made an excel file for International Matriculants based on last year's MSAR. This year's MSAR just came out and I noticed a lot fewer internationals were accepted!

Almost every school went down, some schools like Mayo went from 6 international matriculants to 0! Does anyone know why they went down this year, and is the trend likely to continue for next year too?

Are there any schools that don't consider Canadians as a part of the international pool?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if there's a trend, but keep in mind that the number of total applicants to US med schools has been increasing, while the number of seats for internationals has been quite static (i.e. the new schools that opened are likely not international friendly). It's possible that it's just gotten more competitive for internationals who already generally need higher stats than US residents.

As for Mayo, not sure why they stopped accepting internationals, but that is the reason for their drop to 0 acceptances.

Thanks, maybe the number acceptances are sort of static but the matriculant data I saw from MSAR went down for most schools. Is there anywhere we can look at acceptance data for internationals?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know why? Is there a trend in US med schools to accept fewer internationals now?
Medical students accepted on student visas have dramatically fewer residency options compared to their permanent resident/citizen counterparts. Schools where the admissions process is integrated into career planning learn that there are very different outcomes for similarly qualified students depending on their residency status. Seeing this happen repeatedly can become more than even the crustiest Student Affairs dean can handle.

Medical students accepted on student visas have dramatically fewer residency options compared to their permanent resident/citizen counterparts. Schools where the admissions process is integrated into career planning learn that there are very different outcomes for similarly qualified students depending on their residency status. Seeing this happen repeatedly can become more than even the crustiest Student Affairs dean can handle.

Really, I did not know that. How much of a disadvantage do non-US residents have, and how difficult is it to become a US citizen once you're in med school?

Really, I did not know that. How much of a disadvantage do non-US residents have, and how difficult is it to become a US citizen once you're in med school?
Residencies are under no obligation to sponsor student visas. Some will sponsor J1's, others H2B. Most sponsor neither. Even excellent medical school performance may be insufficient to get any residency in the surgical fields. It is so sad to see students go unmatched or get only a surg prelim after doing well in school. It is twice as sad when they Couple's match and two people are adversely affected. In the current seller's market, I can only imagine that this may become even more challenging.

I have only had one student become eligible for a green card during medical school. Just about all of them tried. At least Canadians have a shot at CARMS.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some schools that say they consider Canadian applicants the same as US applicants. They are mainly the top tier one like Harvard, Columbia etc. All public institutions hold international applicants to a different standard or don't accept them at all.
As gyngny said, I wouldn't count on doing a residency in the states. I'm pretty sure, however, that canadians who attend US MD schools are considered the same in the first round of CARMS as those from Canadian schools (this isn't the case if you go Caribbean, Ireland etc.)

Reactions: 1 user