CANADIAN AMCAS APPLICANTS 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're correct in that as a PR you would never need a visa.

I think you should double check the school's policy. Make sure you explicitly explain what your situation would be and ask what they would do

I found this on a separate school and it somewhat clarified my confusion. It seems that certain visa's will not allow you to qualify for in-state tuition whereas others can. I'm not exactly sure whether the TN1 visa would qualify. I'll definitely contact the school and have them clarify their policy.

International students on F-1, J-1 and other types of temporary visas, including students who are applying for U.S. permanent residency, are not permitted to establish in-state residency and are assessed out-of-state tuition. Students on other visa types, such as an H-4 visa, may be eligible for in-state tuition provided specific criteria are met.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Confirm with the school. If you are on TN-1 now, you are most likely going to convert to F-1 or some form of student visa since you won't be able to maintain TN-1, a work visa while in school.

H-4 is a special case because it is a spouse visa, so H-4 visa holder can maintain that status while attending school. School does not have to sponsor said visa.
I found this on a separate school and it somewhat clarified my confusion. It seems that certain visa's will not allow you to qualify for in-state tuition whereas others can. I'm not exactly sure whether the TN1 visa would qualify. I'll definitely contact the school and have them clarify their policy.

International students on F-1, J-1 and other types of temporary visas, including students who are applying for U.S. permanent residency, are not permitted to establish in-state residency and are assessed out-of-state tuition. Students on other visa types, such as an H-4 visa, may be eligible for in-state tuition provided specific criteria are met.

Reactions: 1 users

Yes, my understanding is TN1 will be one of those where you don't qualify because it's technically considered a temporary worker visa.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey yall, any of you kind souls interviewed at VCU or GWU and have any tips for your fellow Canadian's upcoming interviews? :)