Canadian Applicant Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the6kid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there were threads similar to this in previous years/cycles so I decided to make one for this cycle! Feel free to post questions, stats, school list, or anything else you wish.

I am also applying this cycle for the first time so I can try to help you peeps with the best of my ability.

Americans (and other internationals) are also welcome lol!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck! Applying as an international student is hard, even as a Canadian. Try large schools and private schools

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Here's my info as a fellow Canadian applicant!

GPA: 3.4 oGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 4.0 gGPA; overall large upward trend (2.75, 3.2, 3.7, 3.9)
DAT: 22AA, 20TS, 26RC, 21PAT
Shadowing: 4000 (worked at an oral surgery practice for 6 years (summers of high school, all undergrad summers), research assistant for oral pathologist, and general dentistry)
Volunteering: ~800-1000 hrs (many mental and physical health organizations, habitat for humanity, oral pathology lab, etc.)
Research: 2 years of Master's of Science (1 publication, 2 in review, thesis)
Work: College tutor (general chemistry and biochemistry), sterilization + patient care + administrative coordinator for surgical clinic, teaching assistant, research assistant
Residency: Canada

School list: CASE, CRE, IND, MQT, MWU-IL, NYU, USN, RSDM, BUF, CONN, UDM, UL, MYD, MIN, NEB, UNE, UNC, OKL, PENN, PITT, USC, UOP, VCU, WVA, TEMP

Members don't see this ad :)
How would american universities know that our science courses had a lab or not? Like what everyone else has said, I asked ADEA today and they said to just put down either 3hrs or 6hrs
Would dental schools reject us since some require 8 semester hrs?

How would american universities know that our science courses had a lab or not? Like what everyone else has said, I asked ADEA today and they said to just put down either 3hrs or 6hrs
Would dental schools reject us since some require 8 semester hrs?
Every school gets a copy of our official transcripts, so that shouldn't be a reason to reject us!

I have heard mixed thoughts about this. Some say to add the course name and then add "with lab" at the end of it. Some say to just keep everything exactly how it's written on the transcript. And yes 0.5 credits = 3 credit hours.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using SDN mobile

GPA: 3.4 oGPA, 3.4 sGPA, 4.0 gGPA; overall large upward trend (2.75, 3.2, 3.7, 3.9)
DAT: 22AA, 20TS, 26RC, 21PAT
Shadowing: 4000 (worked at an oral surgery practice for 6 years (summers of high school, all undergrad summers), research assistant for oral pathologist, and general dentistry)
Volunteering: ~800-1000 hrs (many mental and physical health organizations, habitat for humanity, oral pathology lab, etc.)
Research: 2 years of Master's of Science (1 publication, 2 in review, thesis)
Work: College tutor (general chemistry and biochemistry), sterilization + patient care + administrative coordinator for surgical clinic, teaching assistant, research assistant
Residency: Canada

School list: CASE, CRE, IND, MQT, MWU-IL, NYU, USN, RSDM, BUF, CONN, UDM, UL, MYD, MIN, NEB, UNE, UNC, OKL, PENN, PITT, USC, UOP, VCU, WVA, TEMP
You have some pretty good stats, and also great shadowing (4000 hours wow) and volunteering AND also research. You look like an awesome holistic applicant which is what most (all?) dental schools are looking for in the U.S. (unlike Canada lol). My only question is why you are deciding to apply to so many state/public schools (i.e UCONN, RSDM, UNC, etc). These schools are great but they don't historically accept that many Canadians (sometimes none). I would personally take them out of your list but it is ultimately up to you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Thank you! Threw in some of those schools as long shots since I like their programs (even though odds are slim). Any schools I should add??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I put courses with lab as 4 hours as opposed to 3 hours.

Thinking about applying to the states this round from UBC!

GPA breakdown
1 year -2.06
2nd year - 3.82
3rd year - 4.0
4th year - 3.85
5th year - 3.83

Overall ~3.5

I'm Canadian and I've written the cDAT. 23AA, 23TS and 18PAT

if you guys have any questions about australian schools let me know, just finished a semester its amazing... its also accredited by Canada, cheaper than US schools and starts earlier (in january as opposed to sept).... i think applications end soon... msg me if u have questions, happy to help!

Applying to Melbourne/Sydney as well as Canadian schools. Which school are you at?

Every school gets a copy of our official transcripts, so that shouldn't be a reason to reject us!

I have heard mixed thoughts about this. Some say to add the course name and then add "with lab" at the end of it. Some say to just keep everything exactly how it's written on the transcript. And yes 0.5 credits = 3 credit hours.

Hope this helps!

For courses with a lab component, just add "with lab" after the course title as written on your transcript. Do not adjust the credit hours. If it's 0.5 credits with lab, it remains as 0.5 credits (aka 3 semester hours).

You have some pretty good stats, and also great shadowing (4000 hours wow) and volunteering AND also research. You look like an awesome holistic applicant which is what most (all?) dental schools are looking for in the U.S. (unlike Canada lol). My only question is why you are deciding to apply to so many state/public schools (i.e UCONN, RSDM, UNC, etc). These schools are great but they don't historically accept that many Canadians (sometimes none). I would personally take them out of your list but it is ultimately up to you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

UCONN and RSDM accept Canadians. I know a few that have received an acceptance from them. Doesn't hurt to try! But I wouldn't bother with UNC.

For courses with a lab component, just add "with lab" after the course title as written on your transcript. Do not adjust the credit hours. If it's 0.5 credits with lab, it remains as 0.5 credits (aka 3 semester hours).

I wrote 3 semester hours for almost all my courses and just e submitted recently! I guess I'm screwed!:( Oh well, hopefully AADSAS understands and won't make me re- do it. Thanks for your help again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote 3 semester hours for almost all my courses and just e submitted recently! I guess I'm screwed!:( Oh well, hopefully AADSAS understands and won't make me re- do it. Thanks for your help again!
same here! although I hope dental schools have looked at enough Canadian apps to know that we obviously have labs ...:S

Were most people here able to get two references from science profs? I'm having difficulty finding two science profs that would work especially since I have been out of school for a few years now. I'm assuming this two science profs references is pretty strict for most schools too? Any advice/suggestions?

I was thinking about doing this as well. I was a Chem major so i have a LOT of courses where i can add "with lab" at the end.
But this wouldn't impact our GPA right? I mean, would AADSAS be like "Oh that's a course with a lab, let's bump that course from 3 credits to 4 credits".

Were most people here able to get two references from science profs? I'm having difficulty finding two science profs that would work especially since I have been out of school for a few years now. I'm assuming this two science profs references is pretty strict for most schools too? Any advice/suggestions?

1 so far. Working on the other.
I'm a non-trad as well, and i heard if you contact your school of interest, they might be able to make an exception for you. But it's just hearsay..so i can't confirm it.

I have been told AADSAS does not like when you add something that's not written in the transcripts even if it's "with lab". It'll make it harder to verify as with lab is not written in the transcripts. I just wrote my classes without it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I was thinking about doing this as well. I was a Chem major so i have a LOT of courses where i can add "with lab" at the end.
But this wouldn't impact our GPA right? I mean, would AADSAS be like "Oh that's a course with a lab, let's bump that course from 3 credits to 4 credits".

The only reason I made 'with lab' as 4 credits is because some schools seem to require 8 credits instead of 6 credits. Even though they say 8 credits = 2 semesters some how. I'm sure AADSAS will adjust anything if need be. But I understand that if you got a lower mark on a lab based course, and they bumped it up to 4 credits, that would suck a bit.

I have been told AADSAS does not like when you add something that's not written in the transcripts even if it's "with lab". It'll make it harder to verify as with lab is not written in the transcripts. I just wrote my classes without it.

I see what you're saying but that is literally what AADSAS told me to write (in an email)! They have also told other fellow Canadians this cycle the same thing, so I don't think there should be a problem.

The only reason I made 'with lab' as 4 credits is because some schools seem to require 8 credits instead of 6 credits. Even though they say 8 credits = 2 semesters some how. I'm sure AADSAS will adjust anything if need be. But I understand that if you got a lower mark on a lab based course, and they bumped it up to 4 credits, that would suck a bit.
We will see! Hopefully GPA verification doesn't take too long.

upload_2016-6-16_14-40-2.png

We can skip all of this right? I'm trying to send the DAT scores to the schools.

Ya I skipped that! That's only if you want to get your scores verified (or regraded I guess).

Thanks!
Should've done this before.
This takes ~4-6 weeks right? Poor planning on my part.
Some people say it actually takes quicker so don't worry! I only sent mine like last week so it won't make too much of a difference (the app has only been open for 2 weeks now).

Some people say it actually takes quicker so don't worry! I only sent mine like last week so it won't make too much of a difference (the app has only been open for 2 weeks now).

Browsing around sdn, it feels like the app has been open for months lol.
Ok so another noob question..what's my next step.. Just harass the schools in ~4 weeks to find out if they got my DAT scores? I'm assuming we don't do anything at all with AADSAS in terms of cDAT scores.

Ok so another noob question..what's my next step.. Just harass the schools in ~4 weeks to find out if they got my DAT scores? I'm assuming we don't do anything at all with AADSAS in terms of cDAT scores.

Ya all we have to do regarding the DAT is confirm that the schools received them. I might just make a mailing list with all the schools' admissions people lol!

Make sure that you include the cDAT scores in the DAT section on AADSAS though. Don't know how important that section is but still.

I see what you're saying but that is literally what AADSAS told me to write (in an email)! They have also told other fellow Canadians this cycle the same thing, so I don't think there should be a problem.

Oh wow. I had no idea. I had people tell me otherwise. I didn't add "with lab" to my classes. Do you think its ok? Or will the schools assume it's without lab?

Oh wow. I had no idea. I had people tell me otherwise. I didn't add "with lab" to my classes. Do you think its ok? Or will the schools assume it's without lab?

I don't think it should be a problem! Schools will get our official transcripts eventually (before matriculation).

You did the right thing! That's why in brackets I wrote "aka 3 semester hours." All I meant was that all courses that are 0.5 credits in the Canadian system stay 0.5 credits regardless if there is a lab or not. So since 0.5 credits = 3 semester hours, most of your courses should be 3 semester hours. Sorry for the confusion!

It will not impact your GPA if there is a lab included in your course or not. They will not inflate a course grade if it includes a lab.

I was confused on this to when I applied. I even called some schools to clarify. But don't sweat it, 6 is usually equivalent to 8 (and 3 equivalent to 4) given the differences between schools.

They will usually contact you saying they have received your cDAT scores. But for some schools you won't hear a peep (very frustrating). So after you receive an e-mail from a school that has received your cDAT scores, then harass the others within a weeks time frame.

Applying to that many schools is going to be really expensive. Probably easily $2k+ in secondary fees alone. I'm crossing my fingers for you :)

do you guys know if american dental schools take online english courses completed through the school year ?

do you guys know if american dental schools take online english courses completed through the school year ?
I hope they do lol! One of my 2 English courses was online.

Did you guys get your Highschool transcripts for UDM yet?

Did you guys get your Highschool transcripts for UDM yet?

Just sent it. I had a sealed copy at home so I just mailed that in along with the photo + $125. Pretty ridiculous of a requirement to be honest.

Just sent it. I had a sealed copy at home so I just mailed that in along with the photo + $125. Pretty ridiculous of a requirement to be honest.
I see! So the High school doesn't have to send it (directly)?

I see! So the High school doesn't have to send it (directly)?

Your high school itself doesn't send it. There's like a transcript center sort of a place where you go order it to be sent to whatever address you want. This is the instruction for Tdsb schools
http://www.tdsb.on.ca/highschool/afterhighschool/transcripts.aspx
I'm assuming it'll be a similar process for the school board you're part of.
When you order it it's like 24 bucks for the 1st one and 5 for the additional one's. I didn't wanna pay $24 again so I ordered some additional ones last year lol. One of which I just sent to UDM.

Yup. Just sent them last Friday. You?

Nice! I still have to do it. Hopefully tomorrow! Did you mail everything together or separately?

if anyone is looking for a partner to study for Canadian DAT on November 5th, inbox me and we can take it from there!

have you guys gotten any emails for supplemental applications from any of the schools except NYU, Penn, and Minnesota?

Nice! I still have to do it. Hopefully tomorrow! Did you mail everything together or separately?

All together. Might as well only pay for shipping once

So apparently I entered all my course credit (hours) wrong and have to resubmit it!