Canadian Applicant Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ya but they said I should have added my lab hours to the credit hours smh! Hopefully it won't take too long for them to reverify it

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't add the lab hours to the credit hours and mine got verified...hopefully that doesn't end up being an issue with schools that "require 8 credit hours of ______"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Alright I just got reverified (took an hour lol). For a course with a 3 hour lab I wrote 4.5 semester hours (3+1.5). I guess it all depends on the University.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't add the lab hours to the credit hours and mine got verified...hopefully that doesn't end up being an issue with schools that "require 8 credit hours of ______"

I think you should be fine that's what most people have done.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Do any other schools require the manual dexterity test? I didn't think they did, but Midwestern Illinois emailed saying my DAT score wasn't official since I didn't do the MDT

Do any other schools require the manual dexterity test? I didn't think they did, but Midwestern Illinois emailed saying my DAT score wasn't official since I didn't do the MDT

I don't believe any others ask for it! Pretty weird that they are

There is a possible Canada Post labour disruption (strike) on July 2nd. I guess I'm screwed lol

I don't believe any others ask for it! Pretty weird that they are

Ya I didn't think so either! MW-IL website under international applicants has a small line about how Canadians must complete the MDT section for it to be official.

"Note: The Canadian DAT can be substituted for the U.S. DAT. All sections of the Canadian DAT are required."

There is a possible Canada Post labour disruption (strike) on July 2nd. I guess I'm screwed lol

Thankfully all the stuff I needed to mail are mailed. Hopefully it doesn't last too long.

Why what else do you need to mail?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I just sent a couple of supplementals today. My Penn supplemental is currently in progress (which is what I'm most worried about).

Members don't see this ad :)
I just sent a couple of supplementals today. My Penn supplemental is currently in progress (which is what I'm most worried about).

Oh no. It'll be ok though. I'm still waiting to write the DAT so I've only sent the money to the other Es that ask for it up front

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to Sydney or Melbourne if you want to save ~150K+ CAD on just tuition alone (~200K when you factor in living costs). No idea how US is a more preferred choice over Australia for Canadians.

Apply to Sydney or Melbourne if you want to save ~150K+ CAD on just tuition alone (~200K when you factor in living costs). No idea how US is a more preferred choice over Australia for Canadians.

I think it has more to do with proximity and familiarity. Although, I agree with you.

Did anyone receive confirmation from UDM about receiving supplemental stuff (ie Highschool transcript, photo, Fee)?

Alright I just got reverified (took an hour lol). For a course with a 3 hour lab I wrote 4.5 semester hours (3+1.5). I guess it all depends on the University.

For courses with lab, did you end up adding 1.5 to all of them? I have bio, chem and other science courses with 2 and 3 hour labs every other week but I wrote them all as 3 hours only.
Also, did you write "with lab" in the course description for it to be verified?

How are we all doing here?? Any interview invites so far? :)

How are we all doing here?? Any interview invites so far? :)

Heard back from 4 Schools.
2 Interviews (Nova, UDM)
2 Continued review (i.e waitlist for interview?) (CWRU, Buffalo)

How about you?

Heard back from 4 Schools.
2 Interviews (Nova, UDM)
2 Continued review (i.e waitlist for interview?) (CWRU, Buffalo)

How about you?

2 interviews (UDM, Minnesota)
2 Continued (CWRU, MWU-Arizona)

Lots left to hear from! Congrats on the interviews, good to see some Canadian content haha

Hi guys,

Im submitting my application this week, I know its late, but i didn't wanna rush writing the DAT.
My GPA is 3.42, and my american DAT scores are AA22, TS 24, BIO 23, GC22, OC 30, PAT 20.
Have 500 hours volunteer, 100 hours shadowing, two research courses.
What do you guys think my chances are?

1 Interview (Buffalo)
1 Continued (Case)

Hey guys good luck to all of you! I am just wondering how everyone plans to finance there education. It's gonna cost 400k+ so is there a bank that u guys know of that will give u such a loan?

I'm planning to go with RBC (I spoke with them briefly and heard they'll provide around $300,000), and I guess I'll try to work and use what I've saved so far to pay off the difference

I'm planning to go with RBC (I spoke with them briefly and heard they'll provide around $300,000), and I guess I'll try to work and use what I've saved so far to pay off the difference

Wow really? that's a lot of money for one bank. I spoke with them too but they said their amount changes depending on if you go to a Canadian school vs. an American one. Their limit is lower for an American school. I am planning on getting loans from the Government maybe.

Wow really? that's a lot of money for one bank. I spoke with them too but they said their amount changes depending on if you go to a Canadian school vs. an American one. Their limit is lower for an American school. I am planning on getting loans from the Government maybe.

Wat really!! Does the Canadian government provide loans to students who want to study abroad? The last time I checked there are no federal assistant programs. If u know of any information please do share.

Wat really!! Does the Canadian government provide loans to students who want to study abroad? The last time I checked there are no federal assistant programs. If u know of any information please do share.
I haven't looked into Federal loans but I know for sure the Alberta Government provides upto $175,000 for students studying Dental programs in US. :)

Depends on the province. Ontario will give you OSAP which ends up being ~9k/year. I think Alberta gives you a lot more.

9k/year doesn't really cut it when the tuition and living expanses come to be 400k+. I know that banks give a maximum of 150k in total even with a co-signer. That together come out to be around 190k half of the required amount. Damn I hate how finance can deter people from receiving education and chasing there dreams. If anyone else know of other aids, please do share. It would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys!

I had posted a thread asking about applying to American schools as a Canadian, and then I found this thread so I thought I would ask you guys instead. I'm about to send in my application (I know, kinda late. Yes, I'm stressing out) and I need help narrowing down my school list. I don't know if I should take any out or add any in. I'm hoping you guys could give me some insight.

MWU-AZ
USC
UoP
NOVA
BU
NY
UDM
MICH
MIN
Buff
CASE
TEMP
PENN
PITT
VCU
New England?

My GPA is sitting around a 3.4, and I've also written the US DAT (AA 20, TS 20, PAT 18)

9k/year doesn't really cut it when the tuition and living expanses come to be 400k+. I know that banks give a maximum of 150k in total even with a co-signer. That together come out to be around 190k half of the required amount. Damn I hate how finance can deter people from receiving education and chasing there dreams. If anyone else know of other aids, please do share. It would be greatly appreciated.

Banks give a maximum of $275k. If you have a good cosigner, you can ask for more. Secondly, you can get loans from multiple banks.

Did any Canadians who applied to Michigan, Penn, Pitt, Columbia, Pacific, or Case Western get interviews from those schools?

Do you guys think it's because we are Canadian? They say our chances are equal but I'm starting to get anxious .....

Did any Canadians who applied to Michigan, Penn, Pitt, Columbia, Pacific, or Case Western get interviews from those schools?

I've applied to all, only gotten interviews at UMich and Buffalo so far (didn't apply to Pacific).

Mad jealous haha hopefully they send more today! Congrats though everyone.

I'm also international but not from Canada... Would you Canadians be so kind as to allow me to join the conversation? :D

I'm also international but not from Canada... Would you Canadians be so kind as to allow me to join the conversation? :D
Like I said in the first post (in this thread), everyone is welcome!

Stats for those that got interviews?? Still hoping 3.45 sgpa/ogpa, 4.0 masters, 3.9 postbach, 22 AA 21 PAR 20 TS 26 RC